Catholic Weddings
Options

Your priest at the reception

Who does he sit with? With the parents, I guess? We don't know ONE person in our parish (and we've been going there 2 yrs), so we aren't inviting anyone from there.... so who does our beloved priest sit with? And do we invite whoever helps at the wedding? Like the pianist, the people who carry the crucifix and candles in the processional, etc? Neither my fiance or I have ever been to a Catholic wedding before. TIA!

Re: Your priest at the reception

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I invited our priests (we had two) and the organist.  Everyone else involved in the ceremony was a friend or family, so they were obviously invited too.  The priest related to H attended, the local pastor did not, nor did the organist.  Had they attended, we would have put them at a family table, probably with H's uncle the priest since they were in some communication prior to the wedding so wouldn't be complete strangers.
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we had planned to seat the priest at my mom's table, but he was unable to come as he had to do a baptism right after our wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours will probably sit with FI's family, or possible with WP.
    Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Our priest had the Saturday evening mass to say after our wedding, so he did not arrive at our reception until later. In fact, him and the deacon ate by themselves while other people were up socializing. Our venue knew they would be arriving later. Had they been there when everyone else ate, we probably would have seated them with one of our immediate families and near the head table.

You can invite the cantor and organist (we did) but they will probably decline. Ours did. As far as the alter servers (if you are having them) you should invite them, too. It just depends if they attend the reception or not. Ours did, but they were the sons of good friends of ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The musician was a paid vendor, so we did not invite her. We invited everyone else involved. The priest was a good friend and was seated with others that he knew.

I would recommend thinking about who your beloved priest would get along well with, just like any other single guest you have at your wedding, and seating him there. Most priests are used to conversing with people they don't know, so he'll probably be ok wherever you decide to put him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    vondaleevondalee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    TY so much everyone! Such good ideas! :) Much appreciated!
  • Options
    clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Our priests sat together along with the organist, cantors, and religious sisters. We also invited brothers (who were good friends with the priests) to the wedding, like choosing their +1's for them. I don't think it would be a problem to give your priest a +1 so he can bring anyone he wants.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The pastor of the church didn't attend, other obligations and we were not parishoners.

The deacon of the Church was the bride's uncle and he sat at FOB's table with the other siblings.

Two other priests who attended as personal guests sat at a table with other guests who were mostly single people
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards