November 2012 Weddings

Opinions needed on charger plate alternative

I've been going back and forth on whether to buy charger plates or not. On the one hand, we're having a buffet-style dinner, so the plates won't be on the tables at first, and I think the tables (72" rounds) would look barren with just a centerpiece and a water glass before everyone goes through the buffet. There will be a program and favor at each place setting, which will fill some space, but not as much as a plate and flatware. We are having our ceremony and reception in the same place with the guests seated at their tables during our vows, so I do want the tables to look nice for photos as well as for presentation purposes. However, for 150 chargers at $2 each (or $1 each if I can catch them on a great sale and there are enough)... That's still more of an expense than I really want for plastic chargers, which might look and feel silly under nice rented china.

I recently picked up a circle cutter on sale at Michaels and some plain gold foil wrapping paper, with the intent of making gold "mirrors" to go under our centerpieces. I'm toying with the idea of using the gold foil circles in lieu of chargers instead now, but need more opinions. I think it would look nice in theory, and will be making some as a test soon. And $15 for wrapping paper is FAR easier to stomach than $300, or even $150, for plastic chargers! What does everyone think?

Re: Opinions needed on charger plate alternative

• I'm not crazy about the gold foil circles and while chargers are nice - they really only look good with a plate setting on top of them.  If it's not in the budget, then don't spring for them - although I've heard you can rent them for $1.25 or something like that.  The centrepieces and favours will be fine by themselves.  Perhaps maybe get a coloured table cloth or something like that if you want some colour.
  • I already have eggplant-colored linens for the tables, so that's covered. I guess I'm definitely in the "overthinking everything" stage. Thanks ladies! :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_opinions-needed-charger-plate-alternative?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:be46e923-e0c5-4edf-ac9a-f628d665f17ePost:d81360f0-0cf0-40ea-8e50-c07a80d4ddb9">Re: Opinions needed on charger plate alternative</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not crazy about the gold foil circles and while chargers are nice - they really only look good with a plate setting on top of them.  If it's not in the budget, then don't spring for them - although I've heard you can rent them for $1.25 or something like that.  The centrepieces and favours will be fine by themselves.  Perhaps maybe get a coloured table cloth or something like that if you want some colour.
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]

This. I completely agree with chargers looking their best with plates on them. A colored tablecloth will add a visual spark.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards