Georgia-Atlanta

Tastings

I posted this a few days ago, but can't find it so I'm going to try again.

I need advice for my cousin who is planning her wedding too. She has chosen a wedding venue that you must bring in your own caterer. They have provided a list of them for her, but so far none of them offer food tastings prior to booking. Some say they will prepare a tasting menu upon signing a contract and others have a client reference list you can call.  I told her I would be uncomfortable with hiring any caterer/venue who wouldn't allow me to try the food before booking.

What are your thoughts on this and how will you handle this situation??  Is it unreasonable to expect to taste a caterer's food?

Re: Tastings

• My_MattMy_Matt member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know ANYTHING about catering, but I personally have never heard of this. I have a friend whose parents owned a company and they never did that. However, maybe there might be an opportunity to go to an event and taste some of what they have there? Good luck!
    I wonder if Prince William and Kate are registered at Target?
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't sign a contract before knowing what you're getting first. I can kinda see that they wouldnt want to prepare food for you to not sign with them.
    We had a tasting with our caterer (who was exclusive to our venue so, we didn't have a choice) about 2 months ago and we tried whatever they had at the time. We couldnt try everything but it gave us an idea of the quality, size, and presentation. We ended up deciding on one of the apps we tried.

Our caterer is Talk of the Town and their prices are very reasonable and food is excellent so, you might want to look into them cuz I know they do off-site. Good Luck
    imageAnniversary
  • mariewebbmariewebb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  I can understand not preparing everything on the menu, but a variety of items so you can see & taste to overall quality.  I'll pass along the caterer you mentioned. She's getting married in south Georgia so I'm not sure if they'll travel that far.

• edited December 2011

We went with Affairs to Remember because they ended up giving us the best price. The food isn't important to me (maybe that's crazy???) so I never asked to have a tasting before we signed. I want to say they invited us taste the food, but it was too much of a hassle to make an appointment and go there so we didn't. 

I think they do that, I would call over there and see. I deal with Don Leslie, and he is FAB-U-LOUS!!!

• ncohioncohio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can she choose someone who is not on their list?  Where is she getting married?  Unless a company was well-established with a ton of good reviews, I would feel uncomfortable signing with them without a tasting.  I wonder if they would even offer a paid tasting where you paid a set amount to try some of their items.  I just think about going to places where there's dried out chicken or overcooked fish, and I would hate to spend all that money on bad food.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards