Wedding Party
Options

bridesmaid question

I'm planning a winter wedding, but I want my bridesmaids to pick their own black tea length dresses, I've said this to a few people, and have been told I'm crazy because the dresses will be short and it will be cold outside. What do you ladies think?

Re: bridesmaid question

• Options
    They could always pick floor-length dresses, or just wear tights.  Otherwise, I don't know why they would worry about this...I'm assuming you won't be outside very long.  Maybe they're worried that tea-lenth will be difficult to find?  I don't think I see that length very often outside of bridal stores. 

If the people telling you you're crazy aren't BMs, just stop talking to them about wedding plans, then you don't have to listen to their opinions. 
  • Options
    If the ceremony isn't outside (I am assuming not in the middle of winter) I think tea length dresses are fine. You are the bride, so you pick the length and go with it. As far as the other people are concerned, nicely tell them it is your wedding and that is what you would like for the BM's to wear. Period.
  • Options
    As long as you're not marrying outside (and if you are, that's an entirely different problem), tea length is fine.

• Options
    I don't know anyone who only wears floor length dresses all winter long.  I don't.  In fact, all of my suits and dresses are knee length.  Why should the dresses for your wedding be floor length, just because it's winter? 

When people comment, ask them if all of THEIR winter clothes have floor length skirts.  They're just being silly.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I assume your venue is climate-controlled?  If so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.  
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:4330e106-4781-48fc-9ba0-35a09a433915Post:a761fda7-7a72-475d-ae2d-b4713891c527">Re: bridesmaid question</a>:
    [QUOTE]They could always pick floor-length dresses, or just wear tights.  Otherwise, I don't know why they would worry about this...I'm assuming you won't be outside very long. 
    Posted by saxy414[/QUOTE]

I agree.

1 different but similar example: My wedding is 10/30 in OH (cold).

All 3 of my BMs chose sandals. I'm wearing pumps, just because those shoes were the 1s I liked.

Also, the BM dresses are strapless, & mine only has 1" straps. So no warmth there.

So I think it would be fine.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_bridesmaid-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:4330e106-4781-48fc-9ba0-35a09a433915Post:c8809984-c6aa-4a82-a96e-fbb99c958ee9">Re: bridesmaid question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know anyone who only wears floor length dresses all winter long.  I don't.  In fact, all of my suits and dresses are knee length.  Why should the dresses for your wedding be floor length, just because it's winter?  When people comment, ask them if all of THEIR winter clothes have floor length skirts.  They're just being silly.
    Posted by trix1223[/QUOTE]

yeah! sounds good!
  • Options

As much as people say it's your wedding and you decide on BM dresses, I feel that since they are the ones actually wearing them & probably buying them, you should listen to their input and want them to be comfortable.

• Options
    As long as you're going to be mostly inside, it sounds fine.  You may want to look into wraps or jackets for them if you're going to be outside a lot; that would probably keep them warmer than a longer skirt.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Here brideswardrobe.com/7-wedding-dress you can find all kinds of wedding dresses
  • Options
    Ditto Aerin.

Also, you may want to be flexible on the length - tea length is awkward on a lot of body types and can really cut people off. Assuming the cold isn't an issue, going a bit shorter might look better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards