Connecticut
Options

seating chart v open seating

i am not sure if i should seat my guests or let them seat themselves.

60 Invitedimage Attendingimage Declinedimage Not Repliedimage RSVP Date September 15, 2011 image

Re: seating chart v open seating

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My cousin got married a few years back and we did open seating, everyone (especially old people) were really confused. so if you go with open seating i would have a least a few tables for older folks and maybe your parents etc
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    jennylove810jennylove810 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No need to assign seats, but at least assign tables.  It's a minor headache now that will save your guests a lot of headaches that day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely at least assign tables.  It is awkward as a guest to walk up to a table and ask people if you can join them, especially if you dont know anyone else at the wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely assign tables. You can also make sure that the older people aren't stuck right next to the speakers, etc.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely assign tables.  Open seating would be like high school cafeteria nightmares for people all over again to have to find a seat and risk sitting with people they don't like.  And like Vanessa said, try to be courteous of certain factors in the seating arrangement (ie. elderly people shouldn't be near speakers, wedding party/family seated closer than other relatives/friends).
    "I don't know how it gets better than this. You take my hand and lead me head first - Fearless"
    Anniversary

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Assign tables but not specific seats at those tables. If you don't people will shuffle their seats, their plates, their place settings around and you could end up with 15 people sitting crowded at one table and only 2 at another table. It screws up the wait staff because they are probably going by table number, and it has the added effect of becoming a popularity contest.
  • Options
    banana468banana468 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please assign tables.

DH and I just went to a big RD a few weeks ago and we just stood there for five minutes before sitting because we weren't sure where to go.  It makes it so much easier on guests when they know that they're at least at table 3.
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Cannot agree anymore! Assigned tables is the way to go! It takes the guessing out of it!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    maxxwedmaxxwed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh it would feel like first day of high school lunch time and not knowing where to sit with a guide.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto with the previous comments! Making it easy for guests is probably the best way to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! 172 invitedimage 149 accepted!image 23 can't make itimage
  • Options
    herb0622herb0622 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would definitely have assigned seating. It makes it so much easier for the guests that day, as opposed to scrambling around looking for a seat.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ninacapricornninacapricorn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well i agree with everyone, but I m having a small wedding and thinking of one big long table, so in my case, I wouldnt need a seating chart, just maybe their names at the places...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well yeah- if youre having that intimate of a wedding, it probably doesn't make sense to have seating. I don't think most people realized that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Assigned seating is the way to go.  You don't need to assign each and every seat but the tables are necessary, even if it's a small wedding.

I went to a wedding with 30 guests and the bride did assigned seating.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of open seating b/c I feel like I'm in the cafeteria on the first day of school and I don't know who to sit with haha At my FSIL's wedding she had open seating and my FI and I were a little late to claim our seats and we almost had to seat w/ a famiy we couldn't stand.  Last minute we stole a chair from the table to sit somewhere else but then we didn't have enough place settings etc. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely assign tables. I personally think that open seating would be a disaster (unless you have a very small amount of guests). People would probably be confused as to where to sit, and some tables my have a ton of people, while others do not. We were required to make a seating chart for our wedding, and I just wrote down peoples' names at the tables and didn't really pay attention to who I sat next to who. No matter where you sit people at the tables, they will probably move around to sit next to who they want to sit next to.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards