Chinese Weddings

white roses

i'm diy for my flowers and figuring our what i want to do. so i know that generally white flowers for a chinese wedding are a no no but i heard that white roses are acceptable. is this true? i was thinking about having mainly yellow/orange flowers in my bouquet with a few white roses and doing the same for the table arrangements.

Re: white roses

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know the exact rule, but I think this is one of those things you should just check with your parents and FILs. I find that different Chinese parents have different degrees of superstition (and indeed, some of them just make up rules because they THINK that's the way it ought to be!). My parents had no issues with white flowers but if yours are going to freak out, then you'll certainly want to avoid them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ring pop. i completely agree with you sometimes i think my parents make up the rules too because that's what they think they are. funny : ) well my mother has mentioned that she doesn't like white flowers so i decided i won't have any to avoid any problems. not a big deal as i wasn't planning on having mostly white flowers anyway i just wanted to use them as accents.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, sometimes I wonder too whether it's a real tradition or my mom is just making it up because it's her preference. lol. My mom told me to not do yellow-colored flowers because the color yellow was bad luck... (Anyone else hear that before?)

I've heard white flowers are bad, too, but I would think they'd be OK as accents. I want to use white orchids (with other colored flowers) and my mom hasn't said I should avoid that.
  • edited December 2011
    My mother doesn't like white flowers, either.  She wanted me to wear red flowers in my hair and when I showed her that brides here wear white flowers, she seemed really shocked and thought it's such bad omen. lol  For her, as long as the whole arrangement is not white, she was ok.  My bouquet was white but with picasso calla lillies to add a splash of color and she felt better.  The same applied to everyone's flowers.  So the safe bet is see what your parents think.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I wanted to have white candles on the tables, and I was told that that's only for a funeral and I should not do it. We assumed they woukld be peeved if we had white flowers too so i asked for ivory accents if anything. Actaully I dont rememeber what i asked for...
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards