New Mexico
Options

Rethinking Catering Options (Albuquerque)

Our budget has taken a huge hit recently (my parents' entire contribution went to paying for new front teeth for me!), so I'm having to rethink our plans. Right now the catering seems to be where we can save the most money. Of course, I want the food to be delicious, but I don't need a plated steak dinner.

We're inviting 150 but expecting 120. Our venue will let us bring in our own caterer, as well as our own alcohol (but we must hire servers). We'd like to spend $20 a person or less including appetizers, and we plan to buy beer/wine at Costco if the caterer is cool with it.

Right now, we're thinking about a simple pasta/pizza and salad bar, maybe from the Cooperage (mmm Scarpas!). What other inexpensive but yummy options are there?

Re: Rethinking Catering Options (Albuquerque)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have a similarly small budget and are going with a taco bar with appetizers from Cowgirl BBQ. There are tons of different options to choose from (we're having mahi mahi and grilled chicken tacos, plus a few delicious Southwestern apps and traditional flan for dessert, all for around $20/person. If you're not into a taco ball they also have BBQ and a few other options: http://www.cowgirlsantafe.com/catering#dinner. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I emailed them, hopefully I'll hear back soon! I love their food. I guess I didn't expect a Santa Fe restaurant to be willing to travel down here, so I didn't consider them before. Thanks for the recommendation!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Jim Schumacher of the cooperage (and scarpas) is my caterer! He can do a buffet for you guys at $20/pp! He is a great guy to work with! He gave us an option as low as $12/pp.  Definitely check him out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    no no no! Get a personal caterer. Thats what I am doing. Our venue is letting us bring her in, and she comes with servers. Her name is Karen.

Here is her email. seriously. we went through every option she was the cheapest, and great food.  we are feeding each guest at $13 a person.

here is her email
    klynnyourpersonalcook@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should call Dawn Sanchez Catering in Albuquerque.  She is amazing!. She did our rehearsal dinner, brunch the day after the wedding, and our wedding cake.  Everything was delicious and her prices are VERY reasonable.  No set menus, she will do whatever you want, and she is very creative.  Her staff is fantastic, Whitney, her office manager, is so organized and had great communication with us through the whole process.  I'm a chef, and VERY hard to please, and I could not have been more pleased with the food she provided for us.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't reccommend buying liquor at costco, it's incredibly risky!  I rec' using quarters.  Connie charges you quarters prices and like $75 per bartender.  He works with your budget and is INSURED!

I definietly reccommend calling him!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards