North Carolina-Outer Banks
Options

Just Started Planning!

Hi everyone! I'm recently engaged and starting to plan the wedding. October 8th, 2012, Kill Devil Hills - Karma I. I need all the help I can get, I'm from Iowa!! I've requested to join the FB group OBX 2011-12 Knotties, it seems like that's the place to be. Any advice for newbies?!

Re: Just Started Planning!

• Options
    Carygirl14Carygirl14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Welcome!  I'm new to planning too.  The best advice I've gotten so far is to go to the Expo in January so you can meet all the vendors, talk with them and see who really works with your style/personality.  I also love checking out everyones reviews so I know which vendors might be good...and which ones to avoid.  Have you picked a venue for the ceremony and reception?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We got married last October ('10) in the OBX and it was absolutely the most beautiful weather I've experienced down there (coming from a life-long vacationer) so you picked a great month!!! 

I have nothing but amazing things to say about all my vendors, so please let me know if you need any recs. My best advice is to hire a planner/coordinator. It's so much harder planning a wedding from afar, and they really do a lot of the leg work for you. Good luck, and have fun!!! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mccann58mccann58 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!   I was married October 8th of this year.  What a great date!  The best piece of advice I can pass along is negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.  For me this was easy since I come from a background in sales but I know this word can be intimidating to some people.  If you do it, you can save thousands on your budget.  Remember that for the most part, you are dealing with vendors with relatively small businesses in OBX, not huge public corporations.  So most of the time you'll be talking with (emailing) the actual owner which means if they have flexibility in the price you won't be getting a line like " let me check with my manager".  After you've shopped around what the prices are like for specific types of vendors, try to determine what your budget is for each category.  Always get a quote first and then go from there.  Many vendors will ask you what your budget is first and then that leaves you little room to negotiate.  It never hurts to ask!  Also, if they don't have flexibility on the price, a lot of times, they may be willing to throw in an extra service so in actuality you ARE getting a discount.  Good luck with all of your planning!
  • Options
    DO NOT use Bells & Whistles for your wedding. Dorothy took a $500 deposit from me, ignored me until 3 weeks before my wedding, FINALLY sent me a proposal for flowers that included $3,000 of services we never discussed, told me that I cannot change our contract because it's too close to the wedding, charged me ANOTHER $500 to my credit card without my authorization, and did not do ANY flowers for my wedding. It took 6 weeks after my wedding to get a "refund" and Dorothy only sent me $150.00. This is THE WORST business I have ever dealt wiht, and was an absolute nightmare before my wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards