Ohio-Columbus

Dance Class Recommendation

We live in the Dublin area and are wanting to take some dance classes before the big day. Any recommendations?

Re: Dance Class Recommendation

• edited December 2011
    We just started at the Emerald City Ballroom in Dublin.  We have only had 2 lessons, but so far, so good!
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    We're working with Mia at Arthur Murray on High St. in Worthington.  (I don't care for the guy who I think is the owner, but Mia is just awesome!)
    We started back in November, and are on our second program, which will take us through the next year and a half: along with our wedding dance, we've been tackling the foxtrot, waltz, 3 types of swing, rumba, meringue, and have just started the salsa and tango - Basically they are very well versed in many dances.

The have a small program for 5 - 45 minute lessons for like $89 I think.   With this, you'll get an 'outline' for your wedding dance... like how the groom should lead you on the dance floor, a cute little dip, some basic steps, etc. 

If you have time, and money, I would suggest the longer beginning program - it's 6 private lessons, 6 group lessons (you'll get a calendar- usually 2-3 couples show up, so it's still kind of private), and 6 party lessons (these are more laid back, but a lot of fun) - some of these lessons can be combined on the same day, so you could probably knock out this program in less than a month and learn a lot!  But I believe it was about $600 - which is pretty steep - but we paid in three installments, and works out to be like $30 a lesson. (I believe they also have one that is 4-4-4 for $400)   With this, you get a more polished wedding dance routine - and get basics of a handful of other dances too :)

We're now on a bronze program, which works out to be $250 a month - again, same $30ish dollars a lesson.  The cost does sting, but we just love it sooo much that we've cut back on dining out and such.  It really is the absolute best together time and you get to know other couples too.

If you are only looking for a few lessons just to get some highlights for the wedding, make sure you are explicit about it, because the owner is kind of pushy (which is why I don't like him, luckily you don't have to see him often - but the instructors are just awesome and make up for it ten-fold  :)  But again, even though its pricey, we haven't regretted a dime!

• hidlynnrhidlynnr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am biased for Fred Astaire Dance studio on Bethel Road. I took classes there for 2 years and loved it. Now me and my fiance are taking lessons there together. We love working with JJ. I highly recommend it to anyone. If you decide to go with them, mention my name- Heidi Reed. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Has anyone tried Dance Plus on Grandview Avenue? We're thinking of checking it out because we live in the area. They offer a "wedding crash course" 4 weeks for $50 or 7 weeks for $85. Seems pretty reasonable!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards