Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

Videographer or no?

I'm torn on whether to budget for a videographer or not?  My FI doesn't think we need one.  I like the idea of having a video of the ceremony at least, since everyone has been telling me it's gonna go by so fast.  I've asked friends who've had one---they say they love it.  I've had friends that didn't get one--they are fine without it.  My concern is that we'll spend all this money on something that we watch once, and then it sits somewhere among the other movies. 

Any suggestions?

Re: Videographer or no?

• benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are not using one.  We were more interested in our pictures and put a little more of our budget to a great photographer.  Also, think how comfortable you are in front of a camera.  That is not my or my FIs thing.  In the end, we didn't even look into videographers.

Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • IFEFADIFEFAD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I decided to get one because even though i am putting more money into my pictures, i know that there are things i might miss. I found a great company and it is very inexpensive...If you need the information, let me know.
  • edited December 2011
    We didn't have one - we also put that money towards a photographer, and I purposefully didn't want to have any day-of snafus recorded and saved for posterity ;)  I will say, however, that I did have a friend offer to just set up his own personal video camera to capture the ceremony, our first dance, etc.  which I greatly appreciate.  No, it's not a pro wedding video, but it was more than worth the $0 I spent ;) Speaking of this, now that my first anniversary is coming up I should really be hassling him to put all of that footage on a DVD for us already... ;) 
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We knew we wanted a videographer from the start. I think I'd regret not having one once all is said and done. 

For my sister's wedding, she had a friend's husband set up a video camera and tape the ceremony and major parts of the reception.  Even though it wasn't perfect, she saved the money and still captured all of the important things on tape. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I wasnt going to have one, but changed my mind after reading some posts on this board, so at the last minute I hired Martins.  In the scheme of things, whats another $900 to have your memories saved on video for the rest of your life?  (that was my thinking anyway).   I didn't need anything fancy, and didn't have much money left to spend - so Martins was perfect for what I was looking for, and I am glad I have it on video now and think I would have possibly regretted not having it.
  • edited December 2011
    I wasn't going to have one, but after watching my nieces watch their parents wedding video I was convinced.  I am going with Martins video and it is about 1000, which really isn't that much when you compare it to other costs.  

Even comparing that amount to flowers, something that will be thrown away, was enough to make me reconsider my original decision.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I know I would kick myself if I didn't get a videographer. I hired Per Sempre and love his work and he is inexpensive. He is a great person to work with also. I say if you have the money just budget 1k for a videgrapher. You don't want to regret not getting one.
  • CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not using one.  My cousin is going to film everything for me and he's going to put together a basic DVD of the events.  That way I'll have it to look at and remember - but honestly, how many times will you whip out your wedding video to watch?  You may want to have something to just keep the memories though.  Is there anyone in your family that can just do an amateur video for you?
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    183 image 128 image 55 image 0 image RSVP Date: June 4, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    Do it! 
    1.  The day goes by fast
    2.  You'll be able to see things that you didn't know where happening
    3.  Your photographer may not capture everything (mine missed the boquet toss)
    4.  Its nice to relatives and friends personalities that photos don't capture

My suggestion is to use Martin's video since they produce a decent quality film for not a lot of money.
  • edited December 2011
    I say yes !!!

I am using Pat Taggart he did my FI sisters wedding he is a friend of a friend and owns his own Biz ! He is only 100 $ down then the rest is due after the wedding . He does that for the brides as a favor since you are paying for so much. I didnt go crazy I just wanted the video. He is 1000 $ and his work is good . You can google him and his site will come up. Good luck I would just do it  ! He is with you from the church till the end of the reception unless you pick a higher package !
  • kkidd28kkidd28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're having one.  We figure the pictures will be nice, but they can't record our the emotion in our voices as we say our vows etc.  Some things, a still camera just can't get!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And how often do you think you'll be whipping out the photo album from your wedding?

If you get a video with a short highlight video you'll be able to watch that over and over again without getting bored. Then just watch the whole thing on your anniversary.
  • edited December 2011
    Exactly what angel said - I doubt we will look at our album or our full video rarely ever.. but I've already watched and shown the highlite reel to people multiple times.  
  • edited December 2011
    We're not doing one.  At this point, and extra $1000 isnt in our budget and I know FI and I would rarely ever watch the video.
  • edited December 2011
    My FI didn't want to get one, but I convinced him otherwise.  Family and friends have old me hw lad they were to have one as they missed a lot of things that day due to pictures, nerves, and excitement.  Plus we all had so much fun re-living the night, and now that some of them have kids, the kids are so excited to watch it.  I want to be able to look back at our day and if we ever had kids I want them to be able to see it as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a MUST!  You can share with your kids one day.  With the amount of $ you spend on your wedding, might as well have a video to capture it all (like PP said, the emotion!)
  • edited December 2011
    We're not getting one. I know people that have one and watch it all the time. But I think I'll survive without a videographer. Some have said they couldn't stand them because they were all in people's faces.
    ~* Diana *~ ~* October 9, 2010 *~

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    We didn't have one, and we regret it.  Since then, I've seen someone else's wedding video.  http://www.tljstudios.com/ Easily the best video I've ever seen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards