Tennessee

In search of an officiant...

I have a question, I'm doing some early planning for my wedding, and the only thing that's freaking me out a lil bit it the officiant issue.  Neither my fiance nor I are very religious, so we don't have a pastor that we know very well to marry us.  I know that in order to legally marry someone here, they have to be ordained as part of the church, so having a friend do it online is out.  I thought the way I read it somewhere was that justices of the peace here won't leave the courthouse to perform ceremonies, but I'm hoping I read it wrong and this is not the case.  Could anyone please clear this up for me??  Our wedding is still a ways off, but I'm anal about these kind of things lol

Re: In search of an officiant...

• Cattm42Cattm42 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This guy gets pretty good reviews and his site has some good links to info about getting married in TN
  • medsw610medsw610 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have also heard good things about Ralph Griggs...he came highly recommended.  The only reason we did not book him was because our planner informed us that typically, he does not do rehearsals.  And to me, having the officiant come to the rehearsal is essential.  I think I heard that you can ask him to be a part of your rehearsal but it does cost extra.  I work at a hospital so we are having a chaplain I work with be our officiant.
  • edited December 2011
    Ralph Griggs was the officiant for my wedding and he was awesome. He's done so many weddings that it's not really necessary for him to come to the rehearsal.
    He knew exactly what to do and where to go plus he gets you $60 off your marriage license fee.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!  He definitely looks like a good candidate...has anyone on here ever used this guy or know of someone who has?  I'd like to get as many references as possible. TIA!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not religious AT ALL and I was doing a little research into who could marry me that wasn't affiliated with the church and I found "humanist celebrants". They are legally allowed to perform weddings, but they're humanists, so.. not religious. I'm not married yet (haha) so I can't attest to any particular guy, but if you're not religious it's something to look into.

http://www.humanist-society.org/celebrants/celebrant.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards