Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Re. Tasting for Reception

We're having our tasting this upcoming Friday and I'm not quite sure what to expect in terms of food portions lol. We're sampling 2 soups, 2 salads, 2 entrees, and of course the cake! Ours is scheduled for 5 PM and I was wondering if we'll eat enough food to count it as a meal. The reason I'm asking is my parents are coming in from out of town and will be joining my FI and I at it. When I spoke with the pastry chef, she mentioned she would provide boxes for the cake samples if we were too full from the meal tasting to eat it then (which implies to me the portions will be more than adequate). But seeing as it would be a Friday night, I'd like to have reservations for somewhere just in case. FI has already scoffed at the idea of the tasting counting as a "meal."

I know the tasting experience will vary widely from venue to venue, but I was curious to hear about past experiences from you ladies. For the record, our reception is going to be held at the PGH Golf Club in Squirrel Hill.

Thanks ladies,
Julie
My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011

Re: Re. Tasting for Reception

• CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We had ours during the afternoon on a saturday so it was a lunch for us.  We both had a salad and shared the 2 entrees (chicken and beef) with our sides.  It was definitely a meal!

image Ivory
  • edited December 2011
    There were a lot of options at ours and we were definitely full after eating.

Vacation

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing our tasting this week too!  Woohoo, exciting!  They told us it will be more than enough for a meal, although we're tasting more items than you listed.  They also told us that they will send the cakes home with us since we'll have no room at the end :)

Have fun!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    our first one was similar to yours- and it wasnt enough for a full meal.  But we just had another with a ton of food that was enough.  Mabye just email them and ask if you should be making reservations afterwards or if they will provide enough food for all 4 of you to eat
  • phillychica85phillychica85 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies for all your comments! I  did contact the DOE and she said that barring any of us arriving for the tasting in extreme famished like conditions, (my words not hers :), the tasting should def. do it as a meal. So excited. Such a fun step in the wedding planning process. Def. more thrilling than looking at all the wedding paraphernalia that has overtaken my dining room table every day!
    My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards