Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Wishing Well????

Please forgive me if this question has been asked already...i tried to check the previous threads and couldn't find anything....a coworker of mine is getting married in afew weeks and mentioned not having a registry but instead having a wishing well...she explained the general idea.  but i'm still a bit confused...is it just a box where people can put cards filled with money and gift cards.  thanks so much for your help.

Re: Wishing Well????

• Options
    People mean different things by wishing well.  Sometimes they mean that they are going to include a poem in their invitations asking for cash, which is horribly tacky and rude.  A card box is sometimes called a wishing well, and if it's just out for people to put cards in it's fine.  If people are expected to put cash in it or chastized for bringing physical gifts, not fine.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    That is exactly what a wishing well is. It's a pretty box, comes in all shapes and sizes, for the guests to put their cards in. People normally do this when they don't want gifts. The downside to this is that some people still buy gifts, and there is nothing the couple can do about it.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    Weird, around here (Northeast), a Wishing Well is something you have AT a shower, where, in addition to whatever gift you have brought for the bride, you bring little odds and ends, like the spatulas and ice cream scoopers from your registry. I've seen people decorate a pretty hamper like a well and every puts the little items in there.

Never heard of your versions!
  • Options
    Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a wishing well at a wedding either.  Card boxes, but they were clearly for cards, and was on a gift table.

I think having one is fine, but telling people in invitations that they expect contributions to their box-o-cash is NOT.
  • Options
    I'm from New York and I don't think I've ever been to a shower (bridal or baby) that didn't have a wishing well. I've also never seen money put into the wishing well. For a bridal shower, we fill the wishing well with small, unwrapped household gifts which a person would not normally put on their registry. An example of this would be something like decorative dish towels for different holidays, small gourmet bags of coffee, or even maybe a cute set of oven mitts. In New York, the wishing well is normally in addition to the registry. For example, if you bought the bride a griddle, you might want to put a package of gourmet pancake mix in the wishing well.

I've also never seen a wishing well at a wedding.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • Options
    I agree with dawn and karen! The wishing well is for the shower to put odds and ends in, thats why most of us brides when registring make sure you have extra gadgets so it can be included. I know for my best friends wedding we put on the invite please bring a small gadget for the well of wishes for Jen
  • Options
    Obviously it depends on where you live. I have never heard of having one at a shower to put odds and ends in. Funny how things can have the same name and have different ways of using it. It is somewhat like a card box, it just looks different.
    And the whole time, my future husband was in the room...... image image
  • Options
    wow...thanks everyone for your input...i think i will stick with a card box for the reception and a guestbook type wishing well...where guest can write congratulatory messages.
  • Options
    Wow, I had no idea wishing wells were different in different places.  I'm in the Philly area.  My BMs are having a wishing well at my shower for random odds and ends.  I'm excited for it!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards