Oklahoma

Questions!!!!!!

Me and my boyfriend of 4 yrs have been talking about getting married and have been throwing some ideas around..(thats why I'm on here so I can have excuses to talk about a wedding lol) Im wanting a wedding in September and at a mansion in Tulsa and you know Oklahoma weather lol so I have some questions...

Question 1- Is it a good idea to have an outside wedding and reception in September? Due to the venue only allowing 50 guests to sit down and eat in one room the reception has to be outside cuz I have 37 people just in the ammediate family on both sides and bridal party with a guest....
Question 2- Is it better to have a wedding during the week, Friday, or Saturday? I know its cheaper to do it during the week but I'm wondering about jobs..
Question 3- What is the estimated time of weddings if you break it down from decorating, getting dressed, pictures, ceremony, dinner, and reception? I'm pretty sure we will have to do everything from decorating to the reception within the time frame..
Question 4- Is it better to have a wedding at 8:30 am to 4pm, 5:30pm to midnight, or noon to midnight? We will be having an open bar....

Thanks...

Re: Questions!!!!!!

• edited November 2012
    1. September I would imagine would be okay. Just make sure you're aware of any special events happening in your area at the time. That may affect various vendors or travel.

2. I dislike weekday weddings especially if you want an open bar. I can't imagine going to a wedding to have a huge party and then having to get up the next day for work. That being said, Friday would be better so long as you have it late enough in the evening that people can get there afterwork. It's really up to you though. I know someone who got married at 2:30 on a Thursday afternoon and it apparently worked well for them. Just be mindful of how many people you expect to be there, and who the really important people are. We planned a Saturday wedding because it was the easiest for us and also because we only had one VIP who had an issue with this, but we planned it far enough in advance that she could ask for the time off.

3. It really depends on what kind of wedding you're going to have. My ceremony will be a full catholic mass and therefore an hour long, and the reception will be 3 hours. If you have to do all the decorating within the time frame that you're paying for the space, I would enlist a lot of extra help or keep decorations to a minimum. But the amount of time you'll need will really depend on how many people you want to invite and how much you want to do. more people = more tables = more decorations = more clean up.

4. the time of the wedding is really up to you. early evening usually is pretty nice, but depending on when you're planning the reception to be will be will dictate the kind of food you should serve. if your reception will start anywhere between 4:00 and 6:00 I would advise a full meal, which can drive the price up.

Most of your questions can be answered by first setting a budget, and then a guest list. Without either of those two things, you could wind up with some major headaches trying to back track and fix issues.
  • Thank you for ur post.... I guess i need to start working on a guest list. knowing my luck it will be about 100 people lol. It is also looking at that noon to midnight on a friday is more better for us. I need to ask the venue if they clean up not really wanting to clean after having an open bar, due to it will probably be my family that cleans and decorates......
  • Might be a bit warm for outside, but might not.  You know Oklahoma weather. 

Have you looked into Harwelden Mansion?  We had a friend get married there this last summer and it was nice.  I don't know how many they invited, but there were a lot of rooms for people to spread out in so we were all able to be inside. 

If you have a lot of people local it would be less of an issue whether it was in the middle of the week or the weekend.  (But if you have lots of people travelling, they might not have the time to take off and so you might get refusals.)

If you're having an open bar you can have it later on in the evening or night (when people like to drink) or you could have it in the middle of the afternoon, when most people would only have 1 or 2 drinks.  Timing really depends on whether you want to serve dinner or just some snack food for the timing thing.  If you want to only have snacks, you shouldn't have your reception when people normally eat dinner, that sort of thing.
  • Thanks. Those are some good points.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards