Wedding Woes
Options

Vendor Not Responding

Ok...so, this is partially a vent and partially a..."I need suggestions" post.  I found a wedding planner that also does flowers, linens, etc.  So, I've been working with her over the past couple of months via email to figure out flowers and linens and work up price quotes, etc.  She's been awesome at getting back to me on emails, etc.  Even over the holiday, if I sent an email, she'd respond w/in a couple hours.  We met up on Saturday for lunch and to sign contracts and for me to put down a depost.  My total for linens and flowers is $940.  She initially asked for half down but then said that whatever worked into my monthly budget, she could work with.  We had decided to do $200/month from now until the night before the wedding when I'd pay the balance.  After that conversation I figured it out and decided that I could give her $300 down now.  So, we met for lunch, talked about linens and finalized what I needed.  We went over flowers and she showed me pictures of her other work so that I could decide on greens, etc.  We got everything set, I gave her the deposit, signed the contract and went our seperate ways.  She was going to go home, make a copy of the contract and email it to me along w/ a picture of a certain type of fern she suggested as well as confirmation on ribbon color.  On my way home, I remembered something I forgot to ask her, so I got on my blackberry and shot her an email real quick.  Tuesday, I sent her another email asking for my copy of the contract and the picture of the fern and ribbon info.  Yesterday, I sent her a message asking if everything was ok since I hadn't heard from her.  I haven't heard one single word from her since our lunch meeting Saturday.  WHAT?!?!?! Yell How can she just take my money and not respond.  Maybe I'm over reacting, but I this is about driving me crazy!  At what point do I get firm with her and demand a response?  Any ideas how I should handle this? 

Re: Vendor Not Responding

• Options
    Based on how responsive she has been up until Saturday, I would be really worried that something bad has happened to her or maybe a family emergency or something.  First try posting on your local board and ask if any other brides in your area are using her or have ever used her.  See what they have to say.   Then I would give it until Monday and if you still haven't heard from her, send her a certified letter requesting a copy of the contract by a certain date.  The certified letter will require her signature so you can find out whether she actually received it or not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You realize it's a week before Christmas and people have a lot going on, right? I wouldn't start worrying until after the new year.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_wedding-woes_vendor-not-responding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:47Discussion:fd27c084-42eb-4acd-9280-7cc5884e24dbPost:45f29eb7-0748-4da3-830b-85058ad8c0f8">Re: Vendor Not Responding</a>:
    [QUOTE]You realize it's a week before Christmas and people have a lot going on, right? I wouldn't start worrying until after the new year.
    Posted by TheDuckis[/QUOTE]
    This!
    You are being EXTREAMLY NEEDY AND HIGH MAINTANCE.
  • Options

It is the week before Christmas and its only been a week since you had lunch with her.  I'm sure she has other clients as well as obligations due to the holiday.  Give is a rest until after Christmas and if you still haven't heard back then call her again and ask for the contract, reiterate when she told you she'd get it to you, etc.

That fact that she's been so good about responding tells me that she's probably just got a lot going on, like everyone does.

• Options
    Since it is out of character, and you did put down a deposit, I would call the firm and just double check.  Has the deposit gone through on your account?  I've heard that you should never give a deposit without having a signed copy of the contract in-hand... I've had landlord issues, so this is my new policy.

It is most likely related to the season.  I had vendor trouble with my reception hall - they are converting it from a night club to a banquet hall, so management had a big transition - and the manager that I was working with was great for a little while, then she fell off the face of the map.  After 4 weeks of wondering and worrying, I went to the reception hall and checked with the owner (he was the only one above her head). 

Turns out, she was great at managing weekly events, but terrible at multi-tasking for things in the future.  After getting to the bottom of the problem, it turns out I was not the only one to have that problem (hundreds of neglected voice mails later).  It turns out she quit, because she couldn't handle doing the short-term and the long-term planning. 

So, the owner hired someone with more specific wedding experience, and she is wonderful!  I would say, give it a little more time, maybe try to contact her when your check goes through, and once you've given it some more time (a week or two), contact the firm and get to the bottom of the problem.  I'm sure it will work out, but I can see how the dramatic change in her behavior would be worrisome.
  • Options
    I'm having slightly the same problem! My Ceremony and Reception site is the same place and we booked it in March 2009 and the wedding is in April 2010. We've recently been calling the owner to come out and see tables and such to begin working on centerpieces and she will not return our calls. I'm worried she has booked our date with someone else and doesn't want to tell us!
    Should I just drive over there and demand an appointment to look around the building????
  • Options
    Well, here's how things have progressed.  I finally called her the week of Christmas (I know bad timing, but I had to).  I left her 3 voicemails on her work phone and sent a couple of emails, all with no response.  I finally looked on whitepages.com to find this lady's home phone number.  When I got her on the phone she acted as if nothing was wrong.  When I asked her if she was able to perform the agreed upon services and if I could please have my contract her response was "I'll get it out to you.  I haven't done diddly all week".  Hmmm...diddly?  Really?  Professional!  Anyway, the Monday after Christmas I finally got my contract.  At the end of last week, she finally sent me an email with a picture of the ribbon we talked about for my flowers.  I replied back with a question....no response.  I haven't heard anything from her since the end of last week again.  She was supposed to be making us samples of the flowers as well as the ring pillows she's making for us.  This lack of communication is REALLY REALLY stressing me out!  I may be overreacting and selfish (so please don't come at me and tell me how unrealistic I'm being).  I really am just looking for some advice.  I'm not sure how to handle this.  Like I said in my original post...she was sooo incredibly responsive prior to me putting down my deposit, and now I'm lucky to get a response w/in 2 weeks of an email.  And, God forbid she answer a phone call or return a message!!!!  I'm 3 months from my wedding.....HELP!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Have other people used this vendor before?  I would check her out on the boards, on the Better Business bureau, on weddingwire and on every other review place you can think of to see if she's had any negative reviews under her name.  If you find any, I'd find another vendor. And don't send her any more money at all till she is more responsive. 
  • Options
    If you have a contract that lays out all you agreed on, then you are covered. If she screws you, you can always sue(which can be time consuming and should never be your first option ). i would kindly let her know that you are just anxious to make sure everything is in order. Let her know that you have many friennds and co-workers you would like to  reccomened her to ( word of mouth is everything). Speak to her like honey and not vinegar and she is more apt to to be on the ball than if you come across as pushy or bridezilla. Next time, NEVER hand over money wihout a tangible ocntarct written in language  a 5year old can understand. CYA.
    Wedding Countdown TickerVisit The Knot!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards