Retro and Vintage Weddings

Why the vintage theme?

Sorry I have posted so much today, but the school I teach at is closed because of snow. lol  I want to know your ideas on why you are doing the vintage theme!

I have loved silent movies since I was a kid and always have tried to see old historic buildings, look at old magazines in book stores, etc.  My mom would probably say I lived a "past life" in the early 1900's, but who knows :) haha.

I figure, I dont remember most of the weddings I have ever been to unless they were really bad, extremely expensive or unusual.  So I probably remember 3 out of 30.  I know that I want my wedding to be extremely different and make people think "Wow, that is really strange, yet cool".  Even if they don't like my 1800's save the dates or all the Fred Astaire music, I know they will remember it!  

When I got engaged in December, It almost seems easier at times to buy the regular bridesmaid presents, get a non-antique looking dress, etc.  But then I have to stop myself because it is my one and only wedding! (hopefully! haha). And I have planned this for SO LONG, that I will make sure every detail is something that I would be proud of and people will remember as being different.  

I would love to hear why you guys decided to do this also!  And, is your fiancee going along with it?  Mine is, but he would much rather do a city wedding, outside with lots of martinis, ice sculptures and modern music,  But he knows this is my dream, so he has to LIVE WITH IT :) 

Jenny

Re: Why the vintage theme?

• Jenny, I would love to see a planning bio from you! Sounds like you have a lot of great ideas.

My wedding is only kinda vintage compared to some of the other creative brides on this board. I'm going for a vintage Italian travel theme. It was inspired by having our wedding in Italy and because we both love to travel. Another big motivator was because I don't like the cheap-looking wedding stuff you find in stores. I want to buy pieces that maybe we can reuse because they're so unique and beautiful. I also love DIY-inspired pieces, which for me tend to have a vintage feel.
    Sunshine_zps3fcf529f BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wanted our wedding to be different from other weddings we had been to and the more ideas and stuff I found I fell in love with having a vintage inspired wedding,so when I ran it through FI he loved the idea and so we hope that our guest love it too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm like mn2italy: my wedding is not as vintage themed as some. (I have serious wedding envy of some of you, by the way).

I want my wedding to feel timeless. I look at pictures of some of my friends' weddings that happened almost 10 years ago (yes--I'm old), and everything is so late 90's. I don't want my pictures to look as dated, so I'm hoping that some of the vintage elements will make it feel less 2010. Not sure that makes any sense.

FI has been behind all the decisions so far.
  • NukkeNukke member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2010
    [QUOTE]I'm like mn2italy: my wedding is not as vintage themed as some. (I have serious wedding envy of some of you, by the way). I want my wedding to feel timeless. I look at pictures of some of my friends' weddings that happened almost 10 years ago (yes--I'm old), and everything is so late 90's. I don't want my pictures to look as dated, so I'm hoping that some of the vintage elements will make it feel less 2010. Not sure that makes any sense. FI has been behind all the decisions so far.
    Posted by HappyGoLuckyGal[/QUOTE]

That's how I feel about mine, too.  I'm not concerned at all with making mine "unique".  I want it to be fun, and I want it to timeless.  I don't care if my guests think it's different from other weddings.  I do want them to notice all the personal details though.  I want my guests to have a blast, and be able to say "wow, that wedding was so YOU two". 

The vintage theme just comes naturally out of that.  My motivation was personal obsession with antiques, history, culture and tradition.  FI is really happy about it all, because he really wants a loving family atmosphere--so my idea of placing vintage wedding photos of his parents and grandparents makes him feel really good. 
    Our Wedding Website
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I, like you Jenny, have always been really into old movies, fashions, buildings and antiques.  My mother has also said that I was born in the wrong time...hehe.  The vintage theme just seems natural to me, I guess.  

Really, the main reason we picked the theme was because our venue is an historic building.  But the dress I picked out just happened to look very 1930s, and I just like jazz music more than modern pop.  So I guess it's a theme, but it feels less like a "costume" than a "normal" wedding would be, if that makes sense.    

I also second mn2italy's request for a planning bio,  Your ideas sound lovely!  
  • I'm feeling more and more every day like an idiot for checking these boards, haha, since we don't have a date yet and all the "planning" is just me doing research on the internet in the middle of the night.

That said, I PLAN to have a vintage wedding because it just feels right to me. I think in America (oh no, here comes the college student part of me...)we all have a sense of sometimes undeserved nostalgia, specifically for the 50s, for the "good old days".  I don't really want to recreate that, or all of the things that were wrong with the time periods I am so fascinated by, but all the same...  [/college rant]

come on, fashion in the 50s/60s was much cooler, as was interior decoraing.

and to jump on what kat_hi said, I'm incredibly nerdy as well, haha. So, why does nerdy and the 50s go so hand in hand? it totally does, but why?!?!

• Dont feel like an idiot!!  I had my whole wedding planned about 7 years before I got engaged! haha.  I just needed a groom!  I think I joined here in early 2005 and didnt get engaged till last month.  Yikes!  In all fairness, I did have a man I was dating from 2002-2006 that decided he didnt want to get married and we broke up...He ended up marrying someone else 3 months later.  So needless to say, Im happy that it didnt work out!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards