Chit Chat

Is Easter off-limits?

My fiance and I are hoping to get married on the day we had our first date which will be April 20, 2014. Unfortunately I found out that this will be Easter! I realize that this is an important holiday for a lot of people. I don't think it will be a big issue with my guest list, but what about caterers, florists etc? Will they be willing to work the evening of Easter? Will it cost more?

Please let me know what you all think!

Re: Is Easter off-limits?

• I would definitely not host a wedding or other event on Easter or any other holiday, particularly a religious holiday.  I think it will be an issue for your guests, and things will be more expensive including the items you mentioned as well as hotels and travel.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_is-easter-off-limits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1339f17a-55e3-4ee2-aeb5-6015fdfc8e59Post:909f5b02-17f4-4e02-85ed-43aebe43e76a">Re: Is Easter off-limits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I would definitely not host a wedding or other event on Easter or any other holiday, particularly a religious holiday.  I think it will be an issue for your guests, and things will be more expensive including the items you mentioned as well as hotels and travel.
    Posted by ljsquintz[/QUOTE]</strong>

<div>This. I think it's a great inconvenience to your guests. I wouldn't attend. </div>
  • It will likely be more expensive, and people don't necessarily have to be religious to "celebrate" easter.  There are fun family things that a lot of people do on that holiday.  I would pick a different date.
  • libby2483libby2483 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I would not attend a wedding on Easter.  It could also drive up prices of venues, florists, etc.  If I were you, I would find a different day.
  • Ditto PP.  Not only is it a large inconvience to you guests but you will likely have a hard time finding vendors.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Unless you have plans to have your ceremony at your reception venue, many denominations will not allow weddings during the Lenten season, because of the solemnity of the religious season.
  • We are having our wedding the day before Easter next year and it hasn't caused any major problems (with vendors, guest schedules (with a few exceptions), etc.) but I wouldn't get married on the actual day for reasons PP have mentioned. 
  • Just because it's not an issue for your guests doesn't mean it wouldn't be an issue for your vendors. That's still a holiday and you don't need to be Christian to celebrate it and you can't gaurantee your vendors won't want to spend that time with family. 

And FWIW, NYE weddings bug me for the same reason, and that's not even a religious holiday. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Yup, Easter is off limits.  Pick the weekend before or after that.  Plus, 4-20 as a wedding date?  I can think of a very suitable, unique favor for your wedding.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• My cousin got married the day before Easter. But his SO is a snot. However, it worked, because we aren't particularly religious, and it's not a holiday where our family would spend alot of money. Plus, my Dad's side, is pretty much all in 1 county.

I don't think I'd personally do it. But then, we were aiming for NYE(and may still), b/c it's a celebratory holiday, versus a religious or "gifting" type of holiday. No additional expense to guests, as all but 3 guests are local.
  • I wouldn't do it. It is a day that many celebrate other than for the religious aspect. And as others have said, it will be rather inconvenient for vendors and the costs may be higher. 
  • We got married the day before Easter last year.  And we come from Catholic families.  I'm in the mlitary, stationed overseas, and it was the only day I KNEW I would be able to get off to fly home for the wedding.   Here's what we did:

1.  Cleared with all of our VIPs (parents, siblings, grandparents) before setting the date.  Especially the Catholic grandmas.  They didn't care.   

2.  Cleared with our officiant (retired priest).  He made an exception for us since I'm in the military.

3.   Sent out save-the-dates 6 months in advance.

4.  Made AMPLE opportunity for people to take part in religious services of their choice throughout the weekend.   We picked hotels withink walking difference of every kind of church you could imagine, and provided lists of services/times/maps in all of the welcome packets.   We also made our RD/welcome picninc Good Friday Friendly (plenty of non-meat options, and that as well as our Sunday Brunch very "open house" so people could come and go as they wanted in order to attend services.

5.  We had zero issues with vendors.   I think most were quite happy to accomodate us, because otherwise they might not have had ANY wedding that weekend, and lost a weekend out of the wedding season.  Actually getting married on Easter Sunday could be a different story though.
    DSC_9275
  • I'd find it odd to be invited to a wedding on Easter weekend. It would interfere with our family activities however knowing us, we'd still probably attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had our wedding the weekend before Easter (the Saturday of Palm Sunday weekend).  There were several girls on my month board that had Easter weekend (day of and days before) weddings with no issues.  Key is to make sure that weekend is OK with your "must have" guests and to provide info to guests on church services they can attend if they wish.  It would be nice to set your ceremony time to allow for people ot attend services.  None had issues with vendors with the exception of officiants (I think all used non-denominational or non-religious ones).  If you are doing a chuch weddding, it could be trickier and you need to start discussions with the church now before you contract any vendors.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • ohmrs2014ohmrs2014 mod
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited November 2012
    My FI and I are getting married on April 4, 2014, two weeks before Easter and during Lent, on a Friday.  For most of our families, this date was ok, but for others, they weren't too happy about not being able to eat meat at our reception, even though we are offering four main courses for them chose from, including fish and pasta.  

After my issues, I agree with the PP, getting married on Easter is a no-go.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've been to a wedding on the Saturday before  Easter once,  It was not an issue.  

Actual Easter day?  No way we would attend.  Not because we are religous, my DH is a chef and Easter brunch is one of the busiest days of the year.  No way (not even sure for a sibling) he could get off.  

Something to think about when it comes to venues - a lot of venues (restaurants or otherwise) have Easter Brunches/specials/etc, that might cause an issue depending on where you want to hold the reception.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_is-easter-off-limits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1339f17a-55e3-4ee2-aeb5-6015fdfc8e59Post:8343e357-9232-4943-96f9-dfc7ad4e8322">Re: Is Easter off-limits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just because it's not an issue for your guests doesn't mean it wouldn't be an issue for your vendors. That's still a holiday and <strong>you don't need to be Christian to celebrate it</strong> and you can't gaurantee your vendors won't want to spend that time with family.  And FWIW, NYE weddings bug me for the same reason, and that's not even a religious holiday. 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity, if you're not Christian, what exactly are you celebrating on Easter?
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_is-easter-off-limits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1339f17a-55e3-4ee2-aeb5-6015fdfc8e59Post:f4d72455-e9da-4ccb-989e-562f4af5fe23">Re:Is Easter offlimits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'd find it odd to be invited to a wedding on Easter weekend. It would interfere with our family activities however knowing us, we'd still probably attend.
    Posted by ftrmrsweatherdon[/QUOTE]

Same. We always have family plans, but if it were local, and a close relative, we would make it happen.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_is-easter-off-limits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:1339f17a-55e3-4ee2-aeb5-6015fdfc8e59Post:76ce49f4-a380-4dc7-ba8f-66650206c9f8">Re: Is Easter off-limits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We had our wedding the weekend before Easter (the Saturday of Palm Sunday weekend).  There were several girls on my month board that had Easter weekend (day of and days before) weddings with no issues.  Key is to make sure that weekend is OK with your "must have" guests and to provide info to guests on church services they can attend if they wish.  It would be nice to set your ceremony time to allow for people ot attend services.  None had issues with vendors with the exception of officiants (I think all used non-denominational or non-religious ones). <strong> If you are doing a chuch weddding, it could be trickier and you need to start discussions with the church now before you contract any vendors.</strong>
    Posted by gundy21[/QUOTE]

No Christian church will marry someone on Easter Sunday.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It is a personal pet peeve of mine when people get married on holidays.  For me, it just shows a lack of consideration for the guests that you're inviting.  Many people look forward to the holidays because they have time off and make plans with friends/family accordingly.  Others may have jobs that are greatly impacted by the holidays (restaurants, chefs, etc) that require them to go into work.  Either way, I would not attend a wedding if it was on a holiday.  

If you do decide to get married on Easter, I suggest you send out STDs as soon as possible.  

As one PP stated, you don't have to be religious in order to celebrate Easter.  For people with children, it may be more about the Easter Bunny and getting to participate in an egg hunt and finding a basketful of candy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_is-easter-off-limits?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:1339f17a-55e3-4ee2-aeb5-6015fdfc8e59Post:96c60616-a3ef-46cb-a25e-6b3e3b0f0449">Re: Is Easter off-limits?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Easter off-limits? : No Christian church will marry someone on Easter Sunday.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

I should have said religious ceremony (in a non-church venue).  We were married by a Methodist minister that was not affiliated with a congregation (he opted to become a counselor).     
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I'm catholic in theory, but really someone that goes to church on christmas and easter b/c my mom wants me to.  I wouldn't mind going to a wedding on Easter.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards