Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Confirm that I am off my rocker....

ok so:
I am from western mass. My fiancee and I (yes we are gay) want to have a beach wedding and dinner reception weekend in late august or early sept. 2012 Excluding labor day weekend.

Am i crazy in trying to plan this in 13 months? And on a budget at the cape? We have a limited budget and parents are most likely chipping in 4 grand max. Otherwise, we are paying for the rest, which at max we can afford 3-4k more.

We called relatives and asked them if they would see it feasible to spend 2 nights on the cape, so I could get on board looking for a hotel block. All relatives loved the idea and said no problem. We want to be near provincetown, and have ties to a hotel in north Truro for a hotel block (horizons beach resort). The trouble is finding a dinner venue that doesn't charge way over our budget.

Ceremony: we are looking at race point or horizons beach resort private beach, so 60$ permit.

FI has a Huge family, 5 aunts and their families. I have a small family. We want to invite close friends only to deflate the guest count. Still, it's about 60 people. We don't want to do a huge reception with dancing and a DJ, but more an intimate family dinner in a function room, with a buffet or plated dinner, whatever is cheaper. Then, we will enjoy the beach and ptown with our families and make up an itinerary of fun stuff to do.

To make a long story short....is this a ridiculous idea? Do you know of any outer cape relaxed function room/ banquet facilities?

Thank you so much for any input!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Confirm that I am off my rocker....

• Options
    Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Nope, not ridiculous at all, but you're going to need to book your venue ASAP (I got mine in Chatham for Aug 2012 last February, and only because the place was nice enough to call me and tell me that someone else was trying to place a deposit on our venue for our date...in FEBRUARY!)
    I would recommend considering a few ideas - there are certainly a few hotels in P-town that have the room to do it all and can work with a budget. 

You might also want to consider renting a house with a big yard and then pricing caterers.  That way, you could stay at the house that night, too, and have your honeymoon locale and wedding space all in one (which certainly cuts down on some costs.) 

As you probably well know, the people in P-Town are nice enough, so I really suggest just getting on the phone.  Sometimes the caterers can recommend some lower priced venue options, too.

Be cautious if you're contemplating a reception on the beach, as you'll need to start factoring in permits, generators, and the whole toilet situation.

So, no, you're not crazy, and it's totally doable, but get to work! :)  And congratulations!

Edit:  The case is certainly changing on the Cape, where September weddings are EXPENSIVE and in high demand.  Doing a Friday or Sunday in late August will certainly help the budget situation.  Also, if you don't mind waiting, consider October, after shoulder season.  The further away from peak you go, the more bang you'll get for your buck.  And October is still beautiful!

Anniversary
  • Options
    shoreshotz1shoreshotz1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out www.provincetowninn.com  You can have your ceremony right there on the grass overlooking the beach, it is a really neat place, great staff, great food & they have a function room.  

Another thought is having your reception at a smaller inn like The Sescret Garden Inn, the guys there are great  one is a chef from NY....you can have your reception in their courtyard & hire a bartender to serve cocktails.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_confirm-am-off-rocker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:35c9e45e-9e7d-42e1-b482-08111c26d034Post:da795414-777a-4763-bcab-f25c4b4d05df">Re: Confirm that I am off my rocker....</a>:
    [QUOTE] The case is certainly changing on the Cape, where September weddings are EXPENSIVE and in high demand.  Doing a Friday or Sunday in late August will certainly help the budget situation.  Also, if you don't mind waiting, consider October, after shoulder season.  The further away from peak you go, the more bang you'll get for your buck.  And October is still beautiful!
    Posted by Lobsters25[/QUOTE]

FYI, our wedding was Columbus Day, and while certain things were cheaper than in the summer, for the most part discounts didn't start until the weekend after-- so Oct. 15 on would have had much cheaper hotel rates and things like that. If you are set on warm weather and beach, that won't help, but just something to think about.

I don't have any specific recs but I definitely think you can do it, especially since you aren't looking for a more typical reception venue. We booked ours for a Saturday in Oct 2010, in Nov. 2011, so only 11 months out.
  • Options
    HeatherjennaHeatherjenna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the tips, I am becoming re-motivated. It's just so frustrating but good to know it's doable!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    shoreshotz1shoreshotz1 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can usually save on a friday wedding also...
  • Options
    mandi921vhmandi921vh member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes it is definitely do-able, but you will need to be on your game and book vendors ASAP.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it's doable just get the venue booked first and foremost and everything else you can get figured out! We are doing the cape on a budget too.
  • Options
    HeatherjennaHeatherjenna member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you, good luck to you ! In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-cape-cod_confirm-am-off-rocker?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:94Discussion:35c9e45e-9e7d-42e1-b482-08111c26d034Post:a841a707-5511-4042-92a2-51a52cfc647d">Re: Confirm that I am off my rocker....</a>:
    [QUOTE]it's doable just get the venue booked first and foremost and everything else you can get figured out! We are doing the cape on a budget too.
    Posted by jillianbw[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    apt13thoughtsapt13thoughts member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in Orleans, in the Cape next year, and did a lot of research before picking my venue and vendors.  Check the yacht clubs in the outer Cape, they were very reasonably priced, and you can go to pretty much and actual beach to take pictures free of charge.  It can be pricy to do everything on the beach as you have to rent EVERYTHING.  Most places I spoke to were very accomodating with working with the budget I had in mind.  For inexpensive flowers you should check out Saint Aubins in Eastham.  Feel free to ask for suggestions! Congratulations!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards