Christian Weddings

Honeymoon!

Woop woop! We're checking out flights for the HM! 

Any tips from former brides? 
Where did/are you going?

PostCeremony-131.1

Re: Honeymoon!

• Where are you going?

We just took a short honeymoon to Pacific City, OR so I'm no help as far as tips go. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    2010: 41 books, 2011: 31 books, 2012: 100 books
  • Ditto S, except we went to Seaside, OR.  It was a 90 minute drive for us.

Actually, I do have a tip.  Go someplace where you won't care if you end up staying in the hotel room a lot ;-)  And don't have a schedule.  We found that we just wanted to do a lot of lounging around and hanging out to relax after the wedding.
  • We were gifted a Honeymoon to Aruba and absolutely loved it.  We had a choice between Jamaica, Hawaii, and Aruba and were so happy with our decision.  The only thing people *expect* you to do there is sit on the beach and chill.  No expectations of wind surfing, or hiking a volcano, or going to a Luau.  We did do dinner out of the hotel one night and were able to see different parts of the island, but the rest of the time we were in the hotel or on the beach.  LOVED it.
  • DH and I like to DO things on our vacations.  We live on the Gulf Coast, so if we wanted to just go sit on a beach, we'd hop in the car right now and it wouldn't cost us anything but gas and an hour or so drive.  So for our HM, we knew we wanted to do something that didn't involve much lounging around.

We went to Disney World and Universal Studios.  We were very active the whole trip!  We went to all four Disney theme parks, went to the Islands of Adventure park at Universal Studios, saw a Cirque du Soleil show, shopped at Downtown Disney, ate out at all kinds of restaurants at the hotels and parks and in Orlando itself, played minigolf, hit a couple arcades, played pool at the hotel gameroom, etc.  We thought about going to a water park but it got cold and we decided not to.  Did I mention all of that was in a span of 6 days?  It was awesome!
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • We're going to Cabo. FI has wanted to go since he was like 12 so he was a kid in a candy shop when I told him... he's planning the trip with a friend of ours who is a TA
  • We spent a day at Epcot (freezing in January!) and then did a cruise through the Bahamas. It was nice, except that DH was feeling sick for the first few days of it. :(
  • We went to Switzerland, Italy, Austria, and Germany.  We had a long time to travel and  hubby had some of his work displayed in an exhibit in Italy so we decided to go see it!  We both wanted to go someplace that we had never been before.  I really wanted to see where the Sound of Music was filmed and go on the tour of the original Von Trapp home.  So we went and traveled around by train spending a few days in each location.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Anniversary
  • lulabella- That sounds amazing! 

We're going to the Caribbean. We both prefer active vacations as well but for this vacation we're looking for a different type of... active... ;) 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • We're going on a Mexican Riviera Cruise for 7 days. We'll be stopping in Cabo for 2 days and Puerto Vallarta for 1 day. After a crazy last semester of college ever (woo hoo) we wanted a honeymoon that involved us doing nothing haha. We even have prepaid gratuities and everything so we don;t have to worry about a thing. Can't wait!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_honeymoon-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0a6fef10-14a7-457a-af02-583ef556f8f2Post:ac151172-8719-4ea1-933d-c12bbec9b98e">Re: Honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ditto S, except we went to Seaside, OR.  It was a 90 minute drive for us. Actually, I do have a tip. <strong> Go someplace where you won't care if you end up staying in the hotel room a lot ;-)  And don't have a schedule.  We found that we just wanted to do a lot of lounging around and hanging out to relax after the wedding.</strong>
    Posted by DramaGeek[/QUOTE]
    this is exactly what FI and I talked about last night. We are going on a 4 day cruise and we just want to relax and sit by the pool. We don't want an agenda and may not even get off the boat and go into port every day. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We thought about a cruise, but I get motion sick and I didn't want to discover I can't handle boats on my honeymoon! Hopefully we'll be able to go on one in the future! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_honeymoon-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0a6fef10-14a7-457a-af02-583ef556f8f2Post:daf4f150-3747-4b39-a0a1-8282a212207c">Re: Honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE] we're looking for a different type of... active... ;) 
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]<div>This made me giggle.  I'm 12...or a newleywed.  :)</div><div>
    </div>
  • DH and I always say that if we just want to lay around, we'll stay home, haha.  I guess different couples just have different vacation philosophies.

image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_honeymoon-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0a6fef10-14a7-457a-af02-583ef556f8f2Post:31f3c4ec-00a2-48b1-9cfa-b8313b5084ae">Re: Honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]DH and I always say that if we just want to lay around, we'll stay home, haha.  I guess different couples just have different vacation philosophies.
    Posted by sessionswedding[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Oh we're totally that way when we vacation too, but I guess I never really thought of a honeymoon as a vacation. It'll be fun to take our first real vacation too. I think we're going to go to Boston a few months after the wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>Growing up our vacations always included iteneraries they were so scheduled. We want to see a lot but I don't know that we're going to be that extreme about it. My parents are a lil nuts. I don't know that I've ever had a lounging trip, so it'll for sure be interesting! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Haha Emily. I can think of more "mature" ways of putting that if you'd like ;)</div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • That's one thing I was particular about - I wanted a honeymoon somewhere where we could spend plenty of 'us time' and not have to worry about other activities/etc keeping us busy ;) lol 
  • Oh, we're the active type of vacationer, too.  I just remember a lot of people telling us that they felt like they HAD to be active outside the hotel room on their honeymoon because they went someplace brand new and they didn't want to feel like it was a wasted trip.  We purposely chose someplace that if all we did was lie in bed and watch tv, we were cool with that, but that if we wanted to get out and do things we could.  I think we did one or two things each day, but we also spent a lot of time lying around ;-)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_honeymoon-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0a6fef10-14a7-457a-af02-583ef556f8f2Post:274291c8-6900-4280-a833-491ab60e5604">Re: Honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, we're the active type of vacationer, too.  I just remember a lot of people telling us that they felt like they HAD to be active outside the hotel room on their honeymoon because they went someplace brand new and they didn't want to feel like it was a wasted trip.  We purposely chose someplace that if all we did was lie in bed and watch tv, we were cool with that, but that if we wanted to get out and do things we could.  I think we did one or two things each day, but we also spent a lot of time l<strong>ying around ;-)</strong>

<div>
    </div><div>Is that what the kids are callin' it these days?</div>
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_honeymoon-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0a6fef10-14a7-457a-af02-583ef556f8f2Post:274291c8-6900-4280-a833-491ab60e5604">Re: Honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Oh, we're the active type of vacationer, too.  I just remember a lot of people telling us that they felt like they HAD to be active outside the hotel room on their honeymoon because they went someplace brand new and they didn't want to feel like it was a wasted trip. </strong> We purposely chose someplace that if all we did was lie in bed and watch tv, we were cool with that, but that if we wanted to get out and do things we could.  I think we did one or two things each day, but we also spent a lot of time lying around ;-)
    Oh no, see I've been to Disney World 10 times and DH can't even remember how many he's been.  So if we missed a ride or something, it wasn't the end of the world.  But we WANTED to be active outside the room.  Like I said, we feel like lounging and watching TV are things we can do for free at home.  If we're driving 9 hours and spending almost $3000 for a trip, WE'RE DOING STUFF.  Haha.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

• We flew out the day after the wedding to Vegas for a few nights, and then rented a car and drove to LA to fly to Fiji for another week. It was the best of both worlds for us.. we got to celebrate in Vegas and relax on the beach in Fiji. We loved staying at a secluded resort halfway around the world in our own bure (villa).

We worked with a travel agent that specializes in the South Pacific for Fiji, but booked everything for Vegas (flight, hotel, rental car) ourselves.

Fiji was our first and only time we've used a travel agent. For our cruises and trips to the Caribbean, we always book ourselves. We're starting to think about a trip to Europe, and unless we take a Mediterranean cruise, we plan on using a travel agent for that since we'll probably country hop.
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_honeymoon-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:0a6fef10-14a7-457a-af02-583ef556f8f2Post:0b990bae-703e-4538-be11-c170715f0aeb">Re: Honeymoon!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We thought about a cruise, but I get motion sick and I didn't want to discover I can't handle boats on my honeymoon! Hopefully we'll be able to go on one in the future! 
    Posted by RebeccaJac[/QUOTE]

I've been on 3 cruises, and never felt like I was on a boat except for the last night of my last cruise a few months ago. We happened to be sailing back up the coast of Florida right behind Hurricane Irene so our ship was crashing through big waves which really rocked the boat. But... we chose to cruise at the peak of hurricane season which was a risk we were willing to take. We had gorgeous weather the whole time and never saw a drop of rain, including the last day/night on the ship. It was just rocky. After dealing with labyrinthitis last year, I was nervous I wouldn't be able to cruise again without feeling ill, but God answered my many prayers and I was fine the entire trip including the rocky last night.

I'm not saying to try it out for your HM, but don't be afraid to try it out for a future vacay. Cruises are amazing and so much fun! The food is never ending, activities, galore, waking up at a new island almost every morning, and the staff treat you like royalty. I'd just stock up on bonine/dramamine, or get the patch that goes behind your ear for the week. Also, I've heard great things about ginger gum and sea bands. HTH!
  • yay!  We actually just booked our flights last Friday for our HM!  We chose Bora Bora because there aren't a lot of activities there, which is exactly what we want for a HM, so we won't feel bad if we lay around in our over-water bungalow. We also didn't want to risk any hurricanes or rain in early August in the Caribbean. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • I didn't even think of hurricain season! We're going to St. Kitts in June, so I think we should be ok. Hurricain season hits in the fall...right?

An overwater bungalow sounds amazing! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Hurricanes can hit anytime between May-November-ish, but if you follow the weather at all, many years there aren't any that hit land.  I wouldn't let it worry you!  I went on a cruise to the western caribbean in June several years ago, and we had rain one day, but that was the only bad weather we had.  St. Kitts sounds amazing!  Have you booked your hotel yet?
  • We haven't booked yet, but we're actually staying on Nevis Island. It's right next to St. Kitts. It's a teeny little island but there's a place there with a great honeymoon package. 

I think FI is booking soon, not sure tho. Honeymoon is 100% his domain! 
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • Sounds like fun!  Good gosh, I would never have FI plan a trip for us...his family rarely took vacations...I think they only went on one vacation that wasn't camping.  Knowing him, he'd book the first thing he saw without looking for good deals or even paying attention to flight times and layovers. :)

• He googled best reasonable honeymoons and picked the first one haha. I'm good with it, it looks goregous and if it sucks it'll be a hilarious memory to start our marriage!
    PostCeremony-131.1
  • We went on a Caribbean cruise and loved it! What we especially loved about our cruise was everyday we were somewhere new. We visited Dominican, Tortola, Guadeloupe, St. Maarten, Antigua and Barbados.
  • FI and I are doing two days in Niagara Falls, two days in Canandaigua (Finger Lakes) and then spending a day or two looking at a new place to live!  Driving the whole time....ugh
  • MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're thinking that we'd like to go to St. Lucia. We've heard great things. I've travelled a lot and FI has only been on vacation a couple of times. But we're still unsure. We're also looking into Vegas?! Probably not the most romantic spot but we're thinking it would be a lot of fun and neither of us have been there.
  • We are planning on getting a cabin for a couple of days but then taking a real HM/vacation in the fall...probably either Disney World (I've been many times but FI has not...I can't wait to witness him seeing the magic) or a road trip (fairly inexpensive & lots of fun).
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards