Rhode Island
Options

hair & makeup trials - thoughts & tips?

Hi ladies,

I am scheduled to have a hair & makeup trial in a couple of weeks and I have a few questions that are probably silly but I thought you all might be able to help with :)  here goes:

1.  do you let your FI see you afterwords all 'done up'?

2.  I'm assuming I'll take some photos,  but do you all have any other thoughts/recommendations that might be helpful?

3.  should I go prepared with anything? 

4.  what are your thoughts on false lashes?  is there a way to do them that's not super expensive but not super fake looking either? 

5.  would it be silly to have my mom come with me to see?

Never done this before so thought you all might have some ideas.  - also, do you tip as you normally would for salon services? 

thanks!!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: hair & makeup trials - thoughts & tips?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had 2 trials, and let him see both. After the first trial we had a concert/date night and he kept complimenting me all night ;-) The second trial I had false lashes on and when he saw me, he laughed...he wasn't used to seeing them ;-)  But now that we have our pro wedding photos, he totally understands the need for lashes! 

2.  I'm assuming I'll take some photos,  but do you all have any other thoughts/recommendations that might be helpful?
    Photos are super helpful in my opinion...Both of my trials were done towards the end of the day when there was still daylight so I could see what it looked like in natural light. I took a bunch of photos in all different kinds of light after it got dark. It just helps you figure out if you need more eye shadow..blush, etc, those types of things.

-Try to do your hair the way you think you want it for the wedding...bring a veil if you can...inspirational photos...maybe some photos of how you normally do your makeup? I think the biggest thing is to make sure you feel like YOU on your wedding day. :-)

4.  what are your thoughts on false lashes?  is there a way to do them that's not super expensive but not super fake looking either? 

-a must! i never thought i'd do them until we tried them...there are so many different kinds to fit the look you're trying to achieve. they add impact to your wedding photos. my MUA only charged a small price to add them...not expensive at all! and they did not look fake at all.

-not at all. you want honest opinions. after my second trial i saw an aunt/uncle that night who were super honest, and sent some photos to my sis and a friend.

Never done this before so thought you all might have some ideas.  - also, do you tip as you normally would for salon services?

yes, i tipped.
    Happily Married!! 5.29.11 was THE best day of our lives!

>-{ Blog - K5 Becomes A Bride }-<

>-{ Wedding Items FOR SALE }-<

• Options
    KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I did after makeup. MIL and I had our trials together, and he met me back at the house and he and I went to Applebee's, where I felt ridiculous - particularly because I never wear any makeup! For my hair trial, I had the day off and we didn't live together beforehand, so I don't think he saw me that day but I wouldn't have cared if he did.

Because I don't wear makeup, I brought a few magazine photos of more natural looks I liked. I took photos with my phone of the makeup afterwards in my car (haha) and then a few hours later to see how it was wearing. That helped me tell her what worked over the course of a few hours and what needed a little more help. At my hair trial, she took photos of the back, front and sides for me and for herself and made lots of notes so she could replicate. So maybe if you don't see them making notes about colors of product and stuff (I'm sure they will) you might suggest that or do so yourself.

I brought my veil to my hair trial so we could see how that fit in but I can't think of anything else.

I did not wear them. My MUA loved my lashes (?) and said I didn't need fake ones. In fact she said I should come back so she could tint them for me. Uhh, no thanks. Smile Girls on my month board wore them with varying degrees of success, with some falling off, etc. I'm glad I didn't need them. My eyes showed up nicely in photos.

Not at all! LIke I said MIL was there for my makeup trial. As long as you and your mom are on the same page and she's not going to make you doubt yourself or what you like - or try to talk you out of something you like or want - I don't see why not. 

do you tip as you normally would for salon services? 
    My hair was one price for trial and day of so I didn't tip at the trial. I also didn't plan to tip on the entire thing because she was working for herself, so you wouldn't normally tip, but she was so helpful that day and did such a great job that I dropped off a thank-you with her final payment and included a good tip in that.
    For MUA, I'm not sure, as MIL gave that to me as a gift. I assume she tipped even though the MUA also owned her own business because that's just how she is.

Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thank you both SO much!!!  this is so helpful!!!!!!!!

now I don't feel badly about my FI seeing me - we live together so it'd be hard to avoid, and I wouldn't want to wash my face right after!
    hopefully we can make some plans to do something fun so i don't end up just working in the yard/cleaning all day!

I will ask my MUA about lashes, and maybe do a test run with them - wouldn't want to have them fall off!!!

my mom is 100% supportive and we're on the same page for most things (although she tends to think i look great when i know i look horrible- that might not work out so well!) i think she'll love to come along just to be a part of things anyway :)

great ideas about taking photos throughout the day/night - i'll do that!

seriously, this is all so helpful and i really appreciate it, ladies!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yup, I wanted to make sure he didn't think I looked like a freak, and when he just kept repeating "you look so glamorous!"  I knew it was ok!

Leave you hair in and makeup on as long as possible to see how it will hold up, I even took a nap in mine.  12 hours after getting it done it was still in place so I knew it would work.  And I took pictures at the end of the night, too. 

Pictures, pictures, pictures, the best ones I had were out of magazines.  And your veil or any hair comb you have.  And don't be afraid to speak up about what you want.

I did fake lashes and they were fabulous, I wanted to do shorter ones but when my husband saw the long ones he campaigned for those.  They cost $10, and the looked perfect and stayed put all day until I washed them off at 4am.  Only problem was I blinked when the lady was applying them and got glue on my contacts, ruining the pair entirely!  Had to get a replacement pair rushed to me and was blind until about 20 minutes before the ceremony.  So, bring back-ups if you wear conacts. 

My mom and sister came to see me, I needed their opinion!

And yes, I tipped as I normally would.

Have fun!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't.  I washed my face (I don't typically wear makeup, so it would have been obvious), and took my hair down & then re-did it (a different way)... so he had a vague idea (there were still curls), but I'm glad I took it down.  He was super emphatic about not wanting to see anything, so I tried to respect that.  If he hadn't been, I probably wouldn't have tried to hide it.

Lots of pictures, and also remember that it's a good chance for you guys to play around (you are paying a premium for a "bridal" hairstyle, so why not get your money's worth?).

It works well if you have pictures of the style you're looking for.  The person who did my hair really liked that I had "inspiration" photos... the knot has a good database, but I also had a picture from a magazine and one of a random girl I knew whose hair I liked...

I don't know about this, would be best to ask your makeup artist.

If my mom lived here she would have been honored to come, I'm sure yours would be as well!! 

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards