Wedding Reception Forum

Searching for the perfect song...

Our ceremony and reception are in the same room, so the music is going to be providing a lot of our transitions.  Our recessional is going to be Vitamin String Quartet ("Learn to Fly" by the Foo Fighters), then we'll do maybe one or two other VSQ songs as a postlude.

i'm looking for a good strings-heavy (but not fully instrumental) song to segue out of the postlude into the cocktail hour/reception.  All I can think of is "Bittersweet Symphony," and while I certainly don't need all of our music choices to be sappy and lovey, I'm trying to avoid anything with specifically depressing lyrics. 

For reference to our music taste, other artists on the reception playlist are Cake, Rush, the Eels, They Might be Giants, the Aquabats, Guns 'n' Roses, Nirvana, Save Ferris, Green Day, Iron Maiden, Jason Mraz...  We're a bit eclectic.

Any suggestions?
This is a neglected planning bio.
This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284

Re: Searching for the perfect song...

• It may be a little too traditional for you, but what about "Spring" by Vivaldi, or "A little night music" by Mozart.  Both are lively and upbeat, and would do well with strings.
  • I'm not sure if my recent bout of H1N1 has my brain completely fried, but the only song that's not an instrumental (Or "Bittersweet Symphony") at the moment is Leonard Cohen's "Dance Me To The End Of Love". It has a great violin part in the middle, and his voice is really low so as long as you don't "blast" it, people won't really hear the words (Which are a tad on the sap side).

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • We sequed in with the VSQ's Killers covers...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards