Registry and Gift Forum

Everyday flatware set

We'll be registering at BB&B this week and I would like to get my flatware set there. I already have a silverware set that will be used at holidays and special dinners, so now I would like a very casual, everyday set that would last me for at least a few years.

What is a good brand/set to get? Also, how many pieces are in an average set?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Everyday flatware set

• Try to get 18/8 or 18/10, not 18/0, which has to do with how much nickel is in the stainless.  More will help it be rust resistant, although I think that flatware quality has gone down.  We have an 18/10 Waterford set and it has a little rust on it after less than a year of use.  

Make sure you feel each utensil and think about how it feels in your hand.  It was important to us that the knives were straight, not curved, so they can be used to level off measuring cups.  Some flatware is sold by the place setting, and others come in sets with service for 8-10, and can sometimes include a hostess set, which is serving ware.  Some sets have hostess sets sold separately, and others don't have any matching service pieces, so you should ask about that if you want them.
  • I ditto PP. We just kind of had to go in there and feel them all. I'm VERY particular about my spoons (they can't be too deep or too flat) so we just to go look. Then we would actually pick them up and feel them. Some of the nice looking ones felt very light and cheap (to us) and some of them were like holding mallots. lol! And, like PP said, some of them include a bunch of sets and some don't. Some include serving sets... some don't. I'd just go in and look. One good thing is if you are torn between a couple, scan all of them then go online later and check out reviews then delete the one(s) you don't like anymore. Made it a little easier. =)
  • I'm really particular about flatware, too. I mean, I EAT on them! But thanks for letting me know about 18/10 vs 18/0. I would of had no clue about that. I heard that Reed & Barton have really good 18/10 sets and some of them are really nice looking. I don't need all that "design" if I'm going with everyday
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_everyday-flatware-set?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:9199fde2-9367-41ee-9943-c6a16f8fccb7Post:5922b407-462c-44a8-9b01-27699c09710d">Re: Everyday flatware set</a>:
    [QUOTE]I ditto PP. We just kind of had to go in there and feel them all. I'm VERY particular about my spoons (they can't be too deep or too flat) so we just to go look. Then we would actually pick them up and feel them. <strong>Some of the nice looking ones felt very light and cheap (to us) and some of them were like holding mallots. lol!</strong> And, like PP said, some of them include a bunch of sets and some don't. Some include serving sets... some don't. I'd just go in and look. One good thing is if you are torn between a couple, scan all of them then go online later and check out reviews then delete the one(s) you don't like anymore. Made it a little easier. =)
    Posted by morenachica110[/QUOTE]

That's good to know, too! My mom's steak knifes feel like mallots and I don't like it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• It does help a lot. Thank you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards