Rhode Island

Saying things aren't for a wedding...??

I hope this post shows up because I  am having issues with The knot.

But anyway...

I am wondering if someone didn't mention that iit's for a "wedding" when they called a vendor-- and got a better rate.

I am asking this because my boss is planning a party in her home this weekend.
She just called a particular DJ company-- That I had also recieved a quote from-- and they have a DJ available. And they quoted her HALF the quote I was given!!!
This is also a pretty well-known hoity toity Newport company... And NOT the DJ i booked.(just incase you know who I have booked)

I don't know if its because they are filling a last minute spot-- but I am floored.

Now I'm wondering if I called to say it was a family party--what the price would have been!!
www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image

Re: Saying things aren't for a wedding...??

• MaryLaura13MaryLaura13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its kind of hard to hide that its a wedding... When booking a DJ you wnat to make sure they do your annocements and play your first dance, for a florist you need a bouquet... etc. If you get what I mean. I don't think there is anyway around telling vendors its for a wedding. although I don't agree with them jacking up the price for a vendor.
    Wedding Countdown TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPic">" /> Bouquet Inspiration
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe it's because of the time of year?  It's possible that they have spring rates and then summer rates...
  • RoyalOrientRoyalOrient member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weddings = Ka-Ching! I think it is a given though. However, I think vendors make weddings a big priority so extra attention is given to a wedding over a special ocassion event. 
  • KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Somebody - it was on TK but I don't think it was here, so probably my month board - called a photographer to get rates for six hours of coverage. Either he said and she didn't correct him or she led him to believe it was a family party. He gave her the rate at whatever price and then he started asking for more information and she said it was a wedding, he said, oh, then my price is this and it was almost double. She asked what the difference was in coverage - still the same number of hours, etc. - and he couldn't come up with an answer so he honored that first price he gave her.

When we got engaged, Bryan said we should do like they did for "Return of the Jedi" and I thought, "Uh-oh, where is this going? I'm not doing a Star Wars-themed wedding!" But what he meant is they called it something else when they were scouting and booking locations because the first two movies were so popular that everyone was jacking up rental rates and such. But when it came down to it, I'm not a liar and I don't think it's worth duping someone you're relying on for such an important event. We were still able to find what we needed within our budget by doing lots of comparative shopping.
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • wyneywyney member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't believe in lying to vendors, but I also don't think the W word should come with an automatic upcharge.

I think for some vendors' services, it makes sense for it be more expensive.  Weddings come with with extra pressure for vendors, in many cases.  It's a high priority event.  A bridal updo with a trial and the time crunch...that should cost more.  A DJ who has spent hours customizing a play list and talking with the couple, and then stays for a long night...should cost more than a corporate party.  A nosegay that requires certain colors to match?  More than a regular bouquet.  When the customer is more demanding and the pressure is on, and more work goes into it.... I think it's fair to increase the price.  I also think brides and grooms pay higher prices to reserve the services so far in advance, whereas lower key events may benefit from fill-the-date pricing.

I feel like it's okay to omit the wedding word in the following situations:
    1)  You aren't buying a 'wedding' item.  If you want an updo and are fine with a no frills, no special attention, not having it redone if you don't love it (but if you truly don't like it....nicely ask for to be to adjusted).... and will be in and out.... don't mention it.
    2)  You aren't taking a while a valuable Saturday slot at a lower rate.  I've waitressed for years.  I made over half my income on the weekend shifts.  Monday through Thursday I was putting in hours to hold my job, and then was paid for it on the weekends.  I wouldn't care if people came in and ordered just soup and camped out during lunch or a weekend dinner....  but there was one weekend in the height of summer.  A party took over most of my section and camped out for 3 hours.  Waters, appetizers.  Even with autograt I made 60 dollars for the night, whereas I should have made at least twice that. 
    3)  The vendor won't be at your wedding.  I wouldn't be vague or dishonest (by omission) with any vendors that will be at the event.  Too risky, and too rude.  Also, I would never jump out of a makeup counter chair and yell SURPRISE I"M GOING TO GO GET MARRIED!!!
    4)  You aren't expecting wedding service.  If you really want something that is much family reunion than wedding, I wouldn't worry about it.  If the vendor was, say a caterer, or photographer... and you were quoted a lower price before mentioning the W word, I would ask what else you were getting that a regular package wouldn't.  If they can't come up with something....I'd be pissed.  But maybe if everyone is honest, you can negotiate a lower rate for nixing bridal extras
  • Sarah0335Sarah0335 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that I do not want to hide that I am hiring my vendors for a wedding.  I don't want any disgruntled vendors to make my day not as nice as it should be.  However, I do think when vendors know it is a wedding all they see is dollar signs. 

I have been shopping around A LOT before booking any vendors.  I have been really shocked with what some vendors think that they can charge for weddings.  When all is said and done, I think that there are good vendors out there that will give you a good service at a good price even if you are a bride.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i2012doi2012do member
    edited December 2011
    Ya I definetly wouldn't want to lie either.... Just wondering if anyone had an experience where a vendor upped a price. I almost hit the floor when I heard the price difference... In fact it kind of made me feel bad... Like I was a sucker for paying sooo much... I expected an up charge but not that much. I'm glad I didn't go with that company... A ten percent markup is one thing... Fifty percent is another Anyway I did reach out to a woman about some food I was thinking of incorporating during dessert an she told me she had special occasion pricing... But it gauranteed your order was made and packaged before those in her store,... So you have first pick of flavors etc... And aren't getting "what's left over". For the 40 bucks she charged... It was well worth it
  • KBinRIKBinRI member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, we paid what I considered a ridiculous delivery fee for our cupcakes/cutting cake but as things start getting closer, you kind of stop caring and start throwing money at problems to make them go away! Smile Like you said, when it comes down to it, it was worth paying the extra to know things are going to work out the way you want.
    Kristen and Bryan ~ 10-10-10 Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i2012doi2012do member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_saying-things-arent-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:afc76d7d-dbe8-4e6b-9202-2be5295a2877Post:46f3c1f2-0eb5-4dd8-84cc-66c47b8fb859">Re: Saying things aren't for a wedding...??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, we paid what I considered a ridiculous delivery fee for our cupcakes/cutting cake but as things start getting closer, you kind of stop caring and start throwing money at problems to make them go away!   Like you said, when it comes down to it, it was worth paying the extra to know things are going to work out the way you want.
    Posted by KBinRI[/QUOTE]

My fiance and I call our "wedding" expenses..." the things we pay for with monopoly money"
    "oh 100 extra for that?! ABSOLUTELY" haha
  • missbrittamaymissbrittamay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DJs will charge extra for weddings because they do more. They usually MC  the whole thing, whereas a party can be more relaxed and they don't have to talk as much... Also have to plan out timing and special songs.. sometimes different equiptment needs to be used.. so that one I understand.. other things i'm sure charge extra just because, unfortunately.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards