Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Non alcoholic drinks

We are having a family friendly reception in the basement of our church. This automatically rules out any alcohol. Now I'm stuck wondering what type of drinks we serve. We will be having a 2:30ish reception with light refreshments. I don't mind to serve soda, I just don't know how I would serve it cold without looking rather trashy. I would really appreciate your help ladies!! Thanks

Re: Non alcoholic drinks

• edited December 2011
    Punch maybe?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • uneek1323uneek1323 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You could serve non-alcoholic drinks that usually have alcohol (ie strawberry daiquiri). Also I don't understand what you mean by serving drinks cold without it being trashy.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • AbbyjensenAbbyjensen member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could have punch, tea, and lemonade. For soda, you could get bottles, which I think look nice, or get cans and have cups and ice on the side.
  • edited December 2011
    You could have an Italian soda station with different syrups and seltzer (and cream, if you want).  

I don't think sodas will look trashy, especially if you have cups so people don't have to drink out of cans.  It wouldn't be hard to have some ice for people to put in their cups.  
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You could find a very cute bucket to put the drinks in. Just have someone look after it. So that way when the ice starts to melt they can drain and add more ice. They will just make sure it stays looking pretty.

• edited December 2011
    By looking trashy I just mean I don't want a big cooler sitting out like we are all camping or something. Cans sitting out on a table next to cups and ice would be ok? And glass bottles or plastic bottles?
  • edited December 2011
    There are lots of beverage dispensers you can buy/rent that won't look tacky: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/search/search.aspx/beverage-dispenser/_/N-?sstr=beverage+dispenser&dim=1&nty=1&order_num=-1

I'd probably do lemonade, berry lemonade, water, iced tea, and maybe a punch of some type.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_non-alcoholic-drinks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:86db88d6-e8d8-46b4-ac84-999a3a177cfcPost:9084a2be-accc-448d-bd8a-b5db7b9d133b">Re: Non alcoholic drinks</a>:
    [QUOTE]You could find a very cute bucket to put the drinks in. Just have someone look after it. So that way when the ice starts to melt they can drain and add more ice. They will just make sure it stays looking pretty.
    Posted by cmp1986[/QUOTE]

I like this. We're having wine, but because it's an adult-oriented reception with lots of kids, and because it's a hobby of my future husband's, and because I barely drink and non-alcoholic substitutes are important to me, we're also having a collection of gourmet sodas in bottles.
  • edited December 2011
    I think coolers look tacky, but you can get some nice looking metal buckets/tubs, and fill them with ice to keep things cold.  I've been to parties with them before and it looks just fine.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    You could do something like this:

It doesn't have to be mason jars, but you could definitely do something similar. And I agree with the PP's.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Magdeline687Magdeline687 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd get glass bottles of Coke, etc. Also, maybe look into specialty sodas or fizzy lemonade in glass bottles?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards