April 2013 Weddings

Dresses, Breakdowns, and Checks

So, most of you know that I had to buy a new dress.  My original, a beatiful lace sheath, which I bought of the rack at VOWS in Boston, was torn when I went for my first fitting.  I bought the dress in August and have barely looked at it since.  Last week, I tried it on at a seamstress in NY.  And to my surprise, the lace was torn in six places.  Now, I could have purchased it this way, I could have torn it myself while putting it on, it could have been caught in the zipper... I just don't know.  What I do know is that I purchased it final sale, and only had 11 weeks until my wedding.  My seamstress is wonderful, but I was terrified that between ordering matching lace applique and trying to fix it, the dress would not look the same.  I freaked out and had a 24 hour breakdown.  

Last Friday I went to David's Bridal. I have to admit, I was a snob about Davids.  I've gotten cheap looking dresses there for BPs in the past.  I just wanted my dress to be special, and not seem like it came through Walmart.  Anyway, they are the only ones who can get a size 14 dress immediately. I tried on a ton of dresses from ball gowns to sheaths to whatever... My dream dress was already purchased, so I didn't go in there with too much enthusiasm. 

I was really surprised by how wonderful the staff was at my local DB.   When i was ready to settle on one dress, they asked me to try on a dress from the Vera Wang White collection.  I had seen it online and thought it was just not for me.  I'll tell ya what - try on EVERYTHING because this dress was amazing. The right is the new dress.  The left is my torn dress. 

It was a blessing in disguise.  Anyway..

I also mailed my invitations this week.  DONE.   I booked our rehearsal dinner - we're doing it at a brewery - how fun is that??  I ordered some place cards.  Next, I need to make my card box.  OH! and I've dropped 10lbs.  I'd like to drop at least 15 more.. we'll see.  I've been really strict and working out alot.   I'm pooped!   We booked part of our honeymoon to Belize!  Ahhh This is REAL!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

Re: Dresses, Breakdowns, and Checks

• Congrats on all of that - especially everything working out. I said it in your previous thread, but I think the Vera really is stunning on you. Stepping outside the box can be good. Honestly, I didn't think I'd want anything like what I ended up going for, but I fell in love with it as soon as I put it on.

Where in Belize are you going? That's what we're doing too!
  • I bought a groupon for the Hatchet Caye which is a private island resort.  We're staying there for 6 nights in the placencia district.  Either before or after we are going to do something more adventureous.   I'm not sure where or what.  But most likely, we'll just do a hotel somewhere and take tons of excursions. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• LOVE your dress!!!  Beautiful!!!  I had to get a new dress too, and I feel like so much weight has been lifted off of my shoulders by not worrying about the old dress!!  Congrats on your checks!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    110 Invited! image | 65 Have their dancing shoes ready! image | 35 Don't wanna dance. image | 10 Must still be looking for their dancing shoes! image
    RSVP Deadline: February 28th
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_dresses-breakdowns-and-checks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:032dabeb-b4b0-4e0c-b23d-3f800a45e600Post:379daac2-eaa8-4d5f-847f-4da4c70daa22">Re: Dresses, Breakdowns, and Checks</a>:
    [QUOTE]I bought a groupon for the Hatchet Caye which is a private island resort.  We're staying there for 6 nights in the placencia district.  Either before or after we are going to do something more adventureous.   I'm not sure where or what.  But most likely, we'll just do a hotel somewhere and take tons of excursions. 
    Posted by Cryssteen[/QUOTE]

Sounds lovely! We opted for the interior of the country (not really beach people - we're weird, we know). Going to an ecolodge in the rainforest :)
  • I absolutely adore your new dress. If I wasn't having my dress made, I would have purchased that dress in the blush color. I think it is stunning.
  • Awh we were dress twins : your new dress is lovely! I'm so glad it worked out for you :
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_dresses-breakdowns-and-checks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:032dabeb-b4b0-4e0c-b23d-3f800a45e600Post:c0ffe560-2646-42b5-bd02-6f9e51b78558">Re: Dresses, Breakdowns, and Checks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dresses, Breakdowns, and Checks : Sounds lovely! We opted for the interior of the country (not really beach people - we're weird, we know). Going to an ecolodge in the rainforest :)
    Posted by vonclancy[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ohhhh! Which one?  That might be an option for the second part of the trip.  Maruba Jungle Spa looks pretty cool. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Green Tree Country Club

New Rochelle, NY

• edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_april-2013-weddings_dresses-breakdowns-and-checks?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:820178d7-4f43-4671-bcab-c5c2c01eef1eDiscussion:032dabeb-b4b0-4e0c-b23d-3f800a45e600Post:bbd5117d-2611-48dc-b569-2c5d7d2c9d4f">Re: Dresses, Breakdowns, and Checks</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dresses, Breakdowns, and Checks : Ohhhh! Which one?  That might be an option for the second part of the trip.  Maruba Jungle Spa looks pretty cool. 
    Posted by Cryssteen[/QUOTE]

We're going to Table Rock Lodge. They have AMAZING reviews on trip advisor and have some really awesome looking rooms and packages for a decent price compared to others (we were looking at blancaneaux for a while but what they offered for the price didn't match Table Rock). And the reviews all say the food is phenomenal which is big for us :)
  • New dress is stunning!  I also ended up buying two dresses.
  • LOVE the new dress and it looks fantastic on you!

I am SO jealous that you guys are going to Belize!!!!  We stopped there on a cruise and it was, hands down, the most amazing place I've been to on the face of this earth!  I can't even imagine what it would be like to spend more than 9 hours there - I would faint.  :-)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • I love your new dress more then the first dress! i'm so happy that it worked out for you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really like the second dress, it's super cute and very flattering!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker BabyFruit Ticker photo boygirl_zps7b73636b.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards