Getting in Shape

What gets the best results?

Hey ladies,

So, I am starting to get really frustrated. :( I am 5'7" and 140 lbs. I do not think I am fat, but I am definitely not what I used to be. I used to be 125 lbs without even trying and had a nice little 4pack stomach! I am about to turn 30 in March which is really freaking me out. Anyways, I'm getting frustrated because I'm fairly active and eat pretty good, but I'm still gaining/maintaing my 140 lb weight. My cellulite used to be only on the bottom of my butt, but now is starting to creep down my thighs on the front and back! My love handles are getting pretty bad too. I have a muffin top with everything I wear! I bike or kayak once in a while on the weekends and have sporadic workouts during the week. I'm not consistent by any means (motivation is really hard for me), but I still feel like a do enough that I should be seeing some changes. I ride the 150 mile cycle ride for MS every year, and I even did the Tough Mudder race this year (granted I walked it - there's no way I could run 12 miles straight). But still - I feel like I should be more fit than I am. :( I'm really starting to feel like it's pointless for me to even try... We rented a house on the beach for our wedding in May, and I know there will be a ton of swimsuit time. I really wish I could get back to what I used to be or just close, but I'm starting to lose hope. I know a workout buddy would be good, but my fiance doesn't really care to workout and I don't live close enough to any friends that want to workout. I also don't have money for a gym membership, so everything has to be done at home.

Do you guys have any suggestions for getting results with a reluctant body? Do I just have a false sense of how much exercise is needed to see results? I feel like I eat pretty healthy - I really don't want to have to count calories. :(

Re: What gets the best results?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gets-results?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4a4f8f90-32c7-4f4c-8ff7-2fc8d0bc018aPost:781dc56e-9e10-4100-9260-7d531a704699">What gets the best results?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do I just have a false sense of how much exercise is needed to see results? I feel like I eat pretty healthy - I really don't want to have to count calories. :(
    Posted by hbbdolphin[/QUOTE]

In response to this...  Yes.  You completely do have a false sense in my opinion.  Tons of people come in here claiming to eat "pretty healthy" and actually have no idea what that really means. ( I was one of them).  You really should track your calories for even just a week to see how you're doing.  Who knows, you might not be eating enough calories for the amount of exercise you're doing.

Also, 140 at 5'7 is pretty damn ideal.
  • I agree with the PP, you should try tracking your calories for just a few days to really see what you are eating. When I started to try to lose weight a few years ago, I was shocked by how much I was actually eating. Sometimes you just need to realize that what you may think is healthy, may not be.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gets-results?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4a4f8f90-32c7-4f4c-8ff7-2fc8d0bc018aPost:f5662b3a-bcfa-40f5-8591-b12841b8c022">Re: What gets the best results?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What gets the best results? : In response to this...  Yes.  You completely do have a false sense in my opinion.  Tons of people come in here claiming to eat "pretty healthy" and actually have no idea what that really means. ( I was one of them).  You really should track your calories for even just a week to see how you're doing.  Who knows, you might not be eating enough calories for the amount of exercise you're doing. <strong>Also, 140 at 5'7 is pretty damn ideal.</strong>
    Posted by anna.oskar[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeeup.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gets-results?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:4a4f8f90-32c7-4f4c-8ff7-2fc8d0bc018aPost:f5662b3a-bcfa-40f5-8591-b12841b8c022">Re: What gets the best results?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to What gets the best results? : In response to this...  Yes.  You completely do have a false sense in my opinion.  Tons of people come in here claiming to eat "pretty healthy" and actually have no idea what that really means. ( I was one of them).  You really should track your calories for even just a week to see how you're doing.  Who knows, you might not be eating enough calories for the amount of exercise you're doing. Also, 140 at 5'7 is pretty damn ideal.

I agree with Anna.

I was actually effortlessly maintaining a weight in my 20s.  By the time I turned 30, I realized my weight had crept up.  I thought I ate healthy and exercised enough.  Turns out, I wasn't doing either and I had unrealistic expectations about my weight.

You can't go back... you can only go forward.  See how many calories you are really eating in a day, make sure it meshes with how much you *should* be eating and remember that 140 at 5'7'' is great.  I learned that, at 30 years old, my body had a new healthy weight and it wasn't what I was in college.  C'est la vie.
  • Since 5' 7" and 140 is a perfectly healthy weight (not that BMI is the end-all be-all of health or anything, but it puts you firmly in the center of a normal BMI), it may just be that as you're getting older and your metabolism is changing, this is a new healthy weight for you.  Or, as PPs have said, it may be that you're actually eating far more calores than you think you are, or burning far fewer than you think you are.  It might be worth just tracking the calories you eat for a week or so, just to check. 

And it's also possible that you do have an unrealistic understanding of what normal results for your amount of activity would be.  Can't tell whether or not that's the case based just on what you've posted, though.
  • you and I sound the same way -- I TOTALLY thought that what I was eating was health -- come to find out -- it WAS healthy food -- but TOTALLY unhealth portions!!!  Before I realized that -- I just couldn't figure out why in the heck I kept gaining weight -- blaimed it on lack of sleep...then I switched jobs and THAT excuse went out the window!

I started Weight Watchers online (same concept as tracking your calories...if you know how many calories you're "suppose" to have in a day) and lost 2 lbs that first week.  It was the first time I had stepped on the scale and LOST...again...it was portion (and a few too many late night sweets....lets be honest)  I went back to my old habits over the holiday's...and behold -- GAINED WEIGHT -- but I'm back and looking forward to looking awesome in june for my wedding!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks everyone! I know that 140 is not overweight by any means. I guess I'm just getting frustrated with the cellulite that is creeping in. I think this is mostly genetics, but I feel like if I tone up more then it should help some. Honestly, I really don't care too much about the actual weight. I just want to be toned again, ya know...have some muscle on me again. I used to be very tone. I guess I just have to get it in my head that I am going to have to stick to a good (daily) workout program in order to see real resullts. I could try to track my calories for a week just to see. That is a good idea. I think the 30 day shred is pretty "doable" for me. It went by pretty quick and she is not super annoying like some of the other (ahem Tony H. from P90X) workout people. lol So what are you guys doing to lose weight or tone up? I have heard a lot that diet is almost more important than the actual workout. I do eat sugar here and there, but as far as meals go, I'm actually pretty healthy about it. For breakfast I usually have one egg and half a grapefruit. For lunch, I'll have a sandwich with chicken lunch meat, spinach, and horseradish mustard and chips and hummus on the side. For dinner, I always have a protein and veggie (occasionally a starch but not often). For dinner tonight, I am have leftover spaghetti squash with spinach, tofu, yellow squash, and spaghetti sauce. That's pretty healthy, right?
  • edited January 2012
    You know Sarah, I think that is my problem too. I think everything I eat is pretty healthy, I'm just eating too much of it. I get hungry though! How do you keep from feeling so hungry when you have to cut back on the calories??
  • sarahlm619sarahlm619 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    work in even MORE fruits and veggies...I always had SOME with my meals -- but now that's the majority of my meal -- I use to have an 8 oz grilled chicken breast with some green beans and rice -- now I have a salad, no cheese (and I was ADDICTED TO CHEESE) with a LIGHT vinagrette dressing (no more ranch) and I eat ALL of that before I'll even touch my meal.  I then go to my veggies -- I tried to have two now -- so green beans and peas -- or whatever (these are just examples) -- I say away from white rice or potatoes at all costs...maybe once a month.  By the time I get to my chicken (which I only give myself 5 oz of) -- I'm so full -- I can barely eat it!  I keep my fruit as a desert instead of the sweets that I LOVE so much!  My latest fruit is banana with coconut flakes on it.

Also -- there are a ton of cool/healthy recipes out there -- have you ever had spaghetti squash?  It's amazing!  Easy and MUCH healthier for you than the reall spaghetti.  What about Turkey burger instead of hamburger?  Or even better -- boca burger...I made boca burger chili (with their crumbles) -- even my steak house manager FI likes it!

Keep it fun so you don't get bored.

edit -- guess I should've read your post above the one where you addressed me...haha -- glad you like spaghetti squash! :)
  • Also, what do you drink?  Even milk has calories -- not saying to not drink it -- but watch your beverage intake.  I assume since you're here you're not drinking regular coke...but if you are -- switch to diet -- or water!  Make sure to incorporate water into your day too.  A lot of times that "hunger" feeling is actually just being thirsty but your body can't tell the difference.  If you have a glass of water and you're STILL hungry -- then pay attention!  Also -- hummus and chips aren't the best -- switch that out for a fruit or veggie -- or both! :)
  • Argh! I know chips and hummus can bump the calories up quick, but I just love it! I mostly drink water throughout the day. I have coffee (with almond milk) and half a glass of juice to take my vitamins. I sometimes have a regular Coke or Mtn Dew. I know it's bad, but I can't stand the taste of diet soda. I don't drink a lot of soda though; I'd say maybe 1-2 every week. That banana with coconut sounds awesome! I'll have to try that. :) What do you do for a workout?
  • I'm a dancing fan -- so Zumba!  I just got the Jillian Michael's DVD's (no more trouble zone and 30 day shred) for christmas that I'm going to use.  I HATE the gym and refuse to go...I could probably get better/faster results if I did -- but I'm happy with my 2 ish lbs a week.  When it's nice outside (I live in Indiana...so that's not now!) I walk, hike, etc etc.  I've done the couch potato to 5k program twice...but that was before I ate healthy and never really tracked my progress with it (except that I could, in fact, run longer)

Leave the chips and hummus as a "reward" instead of part of your meal -- eat them on a saturday -- it gives you something to look forward to.  I know you said you don't want to track calories -- but if you do -- I think you'll be shocked at how easy it is to give up some of that stuff.

I sound like a broke record, but weight watcher's is working for me because it opened up my eyes.  All of a sudden, those things I loved and just couldn't live without (my morning chai with soy milk) just weren't worth using all my points for a day!!!
  • One other thought is to try buckling down with a more intense workout program than you're used to (like 30 day shred or whatever), and see if that gets the results you want without changing your diet too much.  I did p90x last summer without watching my diet at all, and while I didn't drop weight, I definitely toned up and looked a lot better.  If you don't have a ton of body fat to begin with (I'm about the same height and weight as you, fwiw) it may actually work just fine.

Oh, and if you love hummus but don't love the calories, try making/buying a similar mediterranian dish, baba ghanoush, which has the exact same flavors as hummus but is made with eggplant instead of garbanzos.  Eggplant has a tiny fraction of the calories of grbanzos.  And dip carrots and celery and cucumbers in it instead of chips.  Problem solved.  :)
  • lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    hbbdolphin, I never had to try to lose weight either.  When I started college, I was barely 100 lbs (at 5'6"), I didn't work out, and I didn't eat healthy.  I ended up gaining 40 lbs throughout college.

Once I graduated, I realized that I needed a major change in order to drop the lbs.  I started eating healthier and I joined a gym.  The gym was half a block from my apartment and I spent a ton of time there.  I ended up losing 25 lbs with a very strict workout routine and a much healthier diet.

After I moved in with my FI, the drive to the gym was just too far so I quit.  I gained a little bit of weight back, so I started doing workout DVDs at home.  The Jillian Michaels' workouts aren't very time consuming, they're not difficult, and they work.  For a more intense workout (and if you have more time), I highly recommend Insanity.  FI and I are both doing that now and we're both seeing amazing results.  I'm 31 now and it is definitely MUCH harder to maintain the body type I'm used to.  It takes a LOT of work, but once you get into a routine, it  gets easier.

If you don't have a lot of free time and you'd rather just focus on your butt and thighs, I recommend Prevention's Fight Cellulite Fast (click for Amazon link).

Good luck!
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • What a great idea calliopeia! I have heard of baba ghanoush before but really didn't know what it was. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the info lls. I just started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Today was day 2! Woohoo! It's only 30 min, so that's a lot easier for me to commit to in the mornings. I tried P90X, but just couldn't stick to that strict and lengthy of a program. I have Insanity too. I did it for about a week, but didn't notice any changes. I felt like it went a little too fast for me. I like more strength training than cardio. I really have to force myself to stick with it when it's cardio. How do you feel about the 30 Day Shred? Do you guys think that will produce some results? I'm not gonna lie...I'm looking for the quickest and least time consuming program that will actually produce results. I will be starting back up at graduate school next week and will really not have time to do hour + workouts everyday.

Thanks for all the info ladies! You guys have been a big help!
  • hbbdolphin, if you go with a Jillian Michaels type workout, I would recommend Shred It With Weights.  I personally got better results with that, as far as toning goes.

• lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_gets-results?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:4a4f8f90-32c7-4f4c-8ff7-2fc8d0bc018aPost:19c15dd9-6724-4267-a090-ced010e4e8f2">Re: What gets the best results?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What a great idea calliopeia ! I have heard of baba ghanoush before but really didn't know what it was. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for the info lls. I just started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred. Today was day 2! Woohoo! It's only 30 min, so that's a lot easier for me to commit to in the mornings. I tried P90X, but just couldn't stick to that strict and lengthy of a program.<strong> I have Insanity too. I did it for about a week, but didn't notice any changes.</strong> I felt like it went a little too fast for me. I like more strength training than cardio. I really have to force myself to stick with it when it's cardio. How do you feel about the 30 Day Shred? Do you guys think that will produce some results? I'm not gonna lie...I'm looking for the quickest and least time consuming program that will actually produce results. I will be starting back up at graduate school next week and will really not have time to do hour + workouts everyday. Thanks for all the info ladies! You guys have been a big help!
    Posted by hbbdolphin[/QUOTE]

I also wanted to mention that you can't expect to see results in a week (or less) with any workout you do.  You're going to have to stick with a workout for at least 2-4 weeks before you see real results. 
    [QUOTE] Also, 140 at 5'7 is pretty damn ideal.

<div>Only if it's good weight!  If a girl is "skinny fat" then it's not ideal at all.</div><div>
    </div><div>My advice... lift weights.  Lift HEAVY weights.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, the food log is an EXCELLENT idea... because normally we eat more than we think we are.</div>
    Counting Down the Days... Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards