Arizona-Phoenix

How long should guests wait between ceremony and reception if both are in the same location?

I'm having an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception in the same resort in Sedona. I want to take a lot of pictures in between as my fiance and I have decided not to see each other before the ceremony. I want to take pictures at this spot about 15-20 mins away from the resort, but not sure if I would have time before the reception. How long is too long of a time to have between ceremony and reception? 2 hours? Is it rude to encourage guests to leave the resort and wander around in a cute arts and craftsy village (Tlaquepaque for those who know it) next to the resort then come back for cocktails and appetizers for another hour before the reception?

For those who don't know it, here's the link to the shops that borders the resort
http://www.tlaq.com/
Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

Re: How long should guests wait between ceremony and reception if both are in the same location?

• I think you can get away with having an hour between the ceremony and the cocktail hour, which basically buys you two hours since you aren't expected to be there for the cocktail hour. Please make sure that the shoppes are truly walking distance. Keep in mind many of your guests will be wearing heels and may not want to 'walk around' in those shoes/outfits.

You could also just do an extended happy hour, for say 75 or 90 minutes. You'll have to be quick about your pictures, but your photographer should be able to make it work.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• For a ceremony and reception at the same venue, I'd probably stick to an hour between the two. I know the Tlaquepaque area. I actually stayed at L'Auberge the weekend my FI proposed to me. We went down to the T area. However, from our resort, it was a good 10 minute walk, down and up a hill. I don't think I'd want to do that in heels and a nice dress. Where are you having you wedding?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We're getting married at the Los Abrigados Resort which is south of Tlaq. There's parking spaces on that side of the resort that has an entrance to Tlaq.

But anway, we've decided we'll just do a day-after session. So we'll do photography as planned which is separate photos before the ceremony (me, my girls, my family while he takes pics with his guys and family). Then after the ceremony, the guests will go straight to cocktails for an hour while we do combined family photos and wedding party. We won't be leaving the resort and we'll just head into reception after the cocktail hour.

Thanks to everyone who commented!
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

• If you are planning a long break, it might be nice to note that information on the invitation and/or the ceremony program. (cermony at 2pm, reception to start at 5pm) so that guests know when to be where. Telling the parents and other key people to mention the "break" in conversations about the wedding leading up to the day might also help people plan a little better ahead of time.
  • I was considering this issue as well.  Are you going to bring someone in the 2nd day to do your hair and makeup?  That was my biggest concern....having to pay twice on a day when I'm imagining we'll just want to relax!  I also dont want my man to see me ahead of time either though!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards