New York-Hudson Valley

Having a Theme?

I'm pretty sure that I will be all booked up at the View after the New Year--how exciting! This got me thinking to the next step: wedding themes. After seeing the awesome travel theme of Lawyer's wedding pics that she graciously shared with me, I started thinking of any other fun and unique ways we can tie our interests in the day. 

I was considering including Yankee's elements and have a few ideas. We got engaged outside the Stadium and will be downgrading our ticket package to afford the wedding. But I don't want to go too overboard so we still keep the elegance of a wedding!  I was also thinking of a way to incorporate a police theme since FI's a cop.

As for my colors: I really want the girls to be in grey, but I'm not sure which accent color I want yet (debating between teal and purple).

Did anyone here incorporate a theme into your big day?

Re: Having a Theme?

• MidgetteMidgette member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont have a theme, and the only thing I am doing is a NYPD garter as a surprise to FI since he is a cop.

There are many ways u can incorporate a baseball theme. Just  depends on how far u wanna go

Teal and purple are both very nice colors

• edited December 2011
    i agree with midgette- my FI is NYPD as well and the only thing i'm doing is a garter for him.  There are lots of ways to incorporate baseball without having a full out theme. Maybe do a fun cake or favors or cake topper, those kinds of things.  It depends on how far you want to go with it.  Either teal or purple works with gray.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Photobucket image
  • edited December 2011
    Our theme was fall so doesn't help you. But a VERY good friend of mine had a yankee themed wedding and it was very subtle but classy! Her colors were silver, cream and navy blue. Girls wore Navy blue dresses and carried white flowers. Centerpieces were all white with navy blue linens. and silver accents. She had a yankee garter, a yankee cake topper and a baseball themed groomscake. Wedding party entered into the reception to one of those sports themed songs.

At her cocktail hour, she had baseball type food - soft pretzels, mini hot dogs and mustard, and lots and lots of beer! There were dippin dots adn cotton candy for desert!

You could do any of the above if you like or tone it down. Very classy but still very fun! Hope that helps.

Oh and the white, silver and navy blue ties in the cop colors pretty well also!

You could also make your favor baseball/cop related...
  • lawyer707lawyer707 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glad you enjoyed my theme! I like baseball themes. My friend was planning on doing that for her wedding. One of my favorite things people do when they have a baseball theme is when they put baseballs in the tall vases with a floral centerpiece on top. I think it's fun, but still keeps it classy! Definitely you could do something fun for the grooms cake (which we served at the rehearsal dinner) using either theme and you could find a way to incorporate it into the favors/placecards pretty easily.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't really have a theme, but damn I wish I did cause the base ball idea sounds like fun!!  I did however have a Yankee garter, for DH and since all the guys were Yankee fans my toss one, was Yankee as well. 
    Navy Blue also goes well with Grey if your thinking of a baseball theme.
    I like the idea of baseballs in a tall vase with maybe some white, blue flowers on top.
    Maybe you could find Yankee tie pins, for the guys, or small pins to put on your BM's boquets.  little things like that with out going over board.  As pp's said you can do a baseball favor.  There's so much Yankee stuff out there, it wouldn't be hard to find stuff.
  • akardasakardas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI is a huge red sox fan (sorry I know the whole Yankee/Red sox thing, haha).  I am doing the garter as the ladies suggested.  We also did the save the dates as baseball tickets (you put a picture of you two on it) I can send you mine so you can see how I created it.  

Also I do not know how much of a fan you FI is, but as a wedding gift on Red Envelope I bought my FI cuff links that are made out a seat from Fenway.  I know they do have Yankee ones.  

I think if you wanted to having the BM wear navy dresses with blue sashes would be incredibly classy!

We are naming our tables after his favorite players (the table numbers will be the players number) and the name of the table will be the players name.  You can even cut them out to make it look like jerseys.  

Just some thoughts :) 
    176imageInvited; 118imageYes!; 58imagehave other plans;
  • edited December 2011
    We're having a whimsical, forest themed wedding. Complete with flower designed invites, twigs and birds wedding cake. Wild flower bouquets :)
  • SandDDSandDD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the feedback ladies!!!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards