North Carolina-Outer Banks

DJ and Photog and intro!

Hello, 

I've just discovered the treasure of the forums on here. I am a full time grad student (in research so I spend full days in the lab) so it's been a feat to plan our OBX wedding from VA beach. We decided to go with the aquarium because they are soo nice their, it matches my science geekiness, and i mean you get to pet sting rays! RIP Steve Irwin... Anyway we have also booked Kelly's restaurant because we came up with a menu ourselves, and Kelly's matched it exactly and did not mess around with pricing. The gave a quote with a range of 300$ where as other caterers took items out of our menu and charged us more! 

I also bought my dress its an out of date designer dress that I got a a consignment shop in VA beach. 

I booked rooms at elizabethian inn

I got printer kits for invitations

I'm making the guestbook out of a scrapbook binder and forms that will have questions for the guests to fill out how they met us, a funny story about us... and so on

I'm going to have my grandmother officiate! 

Now questions... 

We only want a photag for the wedding/after wedding family photos... any suggestions? Especially someone who would give you a digital copy of all photos? We are going to get a camera and make someone in charge of taping and plan to put cameras on reception tables. As you can see from my DIY and family officiate... we are on a low budget. 

Also DJ I was looking into Mike Stoffel outerbanksdj.com but his page is a little outdated and I don't see many reviews on him, but he was willing to do the ceremony as well as dj all for 800 (so that would really be like 5 hours). I see good recomendations for bruce, mike smith but have they done the ceremony music as well? 

Also I have seen stuff about central PA OBX weddingers, We are military hence the va beach but I'm from central PA as well. holla!

Thanks
Misty

Re: DJ and Photog and intro!

• edited December 2011
    Where at in PA Misty? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I grew up in da port (willypo) and went to college in delaware county
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Welcome to the board!

It sounds like you are on the right track as far as your planning and there are lots of DIY brides on here :)  I really like the idea of your guestbook....very creative.

I used Outer Banks Productions and just got my pics back this week and they are soooo goood!  I paid $1500 for 5 hours, 2 photogs (THE best part for me!), 200 prints, 2 8x10'sm, 2 5x7's, a CD with all the images and the rights to the pictures.  I attended the OBX wedding expo this past Jan and was able to get a really really good deal that was only good if you attended the expo.  Their hourly price broke down to $300 an hour. 

Daniel Pullen is recommended and I just love Matt Lusk, but he was booked for our day.

I used DJ John Harper and he charges $200 an hour.

Are you planning on going to the wedding expo in Jan?

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    P.S.  Where in VA are you from?  I'm in the Richmond area :)

• edited December 2011
    Hi Misty and Welcome!
    So glad you found our board! We can definitely help with as much as possible since there's a good mix of brides/grooms who are still planning and married gals/guys on the board. Also, I see you found our Facebook page and that's a great fast way to ask us anything too. 

The Aquarium is awesome and I know there was someone on the board who recently got married there too. And Kelly's is one of my favorite restaurants in the area. Good choices! :)

For photogs, we used Ginger Harvey of GingerSnaps for our October wedding. She is giving us the digital copy of all our photos. She charges around $1,200 for 4 hours of coverage though, not sure if that's way outta your price range or not. Unfortunately, photography is probably one of the most expensive services you will get for your wedding. We decided to cut out other items and "splurge" on our pics.

For DJs, have you already checked out the Outer Banks Wedding Assoc's list of DJs? You can find it on their website under the vendors tab I think. I'm sorry I don't have a specific recommendation for you but hopefully some other brides/grooms will post their suggestions for you. I would consider using your ipod and making your own playlists as a substitute for a DJ if you are looking to cut costs. I wish I would have done this. We had a DJ but he was definitely NOT worth what we paid.

Yay for the military! My big bro is in the Army :)

Welcome to the board again and happy planning!!

Sarah

• edited December 2011
    We used Daniel Pullen and got 2 photographers too because they're a husband/wife team.  They were voted 2012 The Knot's Best of Weddings and did the 2011 OBWA Dream Wedding.  I received 4 hours (they threw in a free hour), 3 sets DVDs of the images with rights (high and low resolution), proof book, 2 8x10s for $1900 (tax included).  Here's their FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/pages/Daniel-Pullen-Photography/122113834509814
  • edited December 2011

Hi Misty!
    Welcome to the board!  We went with Matt Lusk and John Harper.  We are paying quite a bit for Matt though (over $2000) but I just love him!  Another photographer to check into if you are on a tight budjet is Christoper Nieto.  He wasn't my personal style, but many on the board like him.  He quoted us about $1000 for 6 hours and a dvd with rights. 
    We are paying $200/hour for DJ John Harper.  I hear thats pretty standard and have heard horror stories from some who have gone with guys who charge less.
    Enjoy your planning! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Misty!
    I noticed that when searching for OBX photography, it's so expensive (I guess wedding photography is expensive in general)! Also consider local to you photographers that might be willing to travel -- you might actual find a better deal that way. We asked a recently married couple for their recommendation and they used a new-to-the-field photographer that they loved and since they are still up and coming, we got a great deal. If you have anyone local that recently got married, I'd ask them about their photographer.
  • Check out Artz OBX. They're a husband and wife team photographer and DJ. They have great package deals, but you can also book separately. And Sue (the DJ) also plays violin, so we used her for the ceremony as well.
  • Ps- I think we paid $2500 for 6 hours of photography and DJ and the violin for the ceremony (or something really close to that).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards