Catholic Weddings

Non- Catholic Musician

So I think I am going to end up with a musiciain who is not Catholic. Don't tell me about trying to get someone from a local parish because I am currently on attempt number 8... due to death (literally- the gentleman passed away), school schedules, choir practices, conflicting masses, etc I am just trying to have some tasteful music. Plus I'm out of town so meeting people is not easy.

This doesn't violate any rules does it (the musician is a professional, christian, a friend of mine, and very involved in his faith)?

He's talented and wants to help me out and do it right. Just hoping this works out finally.

Re: Non- Catholic Musician

• As long as the musician doesn't mind playing whatever sacred music you have picked out, I don't really see a problem.  But maybe there is some rule I am not aware of.

Your priest has final say though, so just ask him.

SaveSave
  • My sister used non-Catholic musicians. She did not have a mass, though.
  • I would just make sure 1) it is okay with the priest/parish where the wedding will be, and 2) that the musician is willing/able to play the mass parts/sacred music/psalm, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm not sure if you are having a Mass, but a concern would be that lots of the music at a Mass (like the Holy Holy and Lamb of God) comes at a place in the Mass that it would be really hard for a non-Catholic to know exactly when to do it. If you're not having a Mass, then if you're having the musician do the Psalm and Alleluia, then you just have to make sure the musician knows when exactly to do that, but it shouldn't otherwise be a problem.
    Anniversary
  • My husband is under the impression that the music director at our church is Presbyterian.  I don't believe him, but it is possible.  Our cantor was not Catholic, but a classically trained singer, so she did a quick practice with the music director just before our ceremony and all was beautiful.

Will the musician in question at least be able to meet with the music director to get a rundown of the ceremony?

Anniversary

• Professor, I love your sig pic!

And yeah, I've seen plenty of non-Catholic musicians do pretty much every musical job in the church. As long as they are respectful and whatnot, I don't see the big deal. But I agree, check with your priest to be sure.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_non-catholic-musician?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:b31c2b34-5943-4417-bdb2-3be127e0f992Post:aa56bca0-ae88-44b8-897d-424d812d3125">Re: Non- Catholic Musician</a>:
    [QUOTE]Professor, I love your sig pic! And yeah, I've seen plenty of non-Catholic musicians do pretty much every musical job in the church. As long as they are respectful and whatnot, I don't see the big deal. But I agree, check with your priest to be sure.
    Posted by chelseamb11[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  It's funny, because I can't see it at work, so I have to think, "Which one is that?"
    Anniversary

• It'll probably be fine. I worked with a ton of music performance students (training to be opera singers) when I was in college and since, and, while few of them were Catholic, they'd make bank during Holy Week and other holidays. We'd always have to plan rehearsal schedules around who was singing at what church. An ex of mine did it too. They're generally paid professionals that either the church or you is/are paying to do a job. I might ask the priest or co-ordinator, but I think you're good. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_non-catholic-musician?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:b31c2b34-5943-4417-bdb2-3be127e0f992Post:b9344a0c-47c8-427f-a792-89838aec684a">Re: Non- Catholic Musician</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just make sure 1) it is okay with the priest/parish where the wedding will be, and 2) that the musician is willing/able to play the mass parts/sacred music/psalm, etc.
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

This. I know church muisc professionals who work for Catholic parishes and aren't Catholic, and I know of parishes that would forbid that.
  • Thanks. The marraige ceremony won't actually be AT a certain church- it's my old high school chapel. So... no music director at the local place. And we also are not doing a full mass so there definately will be less music.

And my mom talked to the priest (I'm not local there so it's easier) and he trusts that we'll select things that work. 

Thanks... I thought I'd check in with this board. :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards