Registry and Gift Forum

Registry Stalking

I just needed to say it out loud (or online I guess)...but I hereby solemnly swear not to registry stalk. Despite the terrible temptation I will avoid looking unnecessarily or even login without good reason.  I love a surprise, but clearly shouldn’t be given access to the solution! Anyone else with me?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registry Stalking

• Yes! It will ruin the surprise of what you are getting. Good luck with resisting temptation!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am so tempted to just give my mom the login info once we register and ask her to change the passwords. That way, she can check and see if we need to add stuff, but I won't be able to check it. 

I will admit to registry stalking my friends. We have so many getting married this year (somewhere between 8-10) and I love seeing what everyone picked out. I guess I'm a huge nerd.
  • i look every day. i stalk other peoples too. type in random names and see what their style is....aweful
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-stalking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e25a1ce7-2d9e-4ab2-bf26-6c79603ad998Post:67843185-e4c8-4c12-974d-d93d03689833">Re: Registry Stalking</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am so tempted to just give my mom the login info once we register and ask her to change the passwords. That way, she can check and see if we need to add stuff, but I won't be able to check it.<strong>  I will admit to registry stalking my friends.</strong> We have so many getting married this year (somewhere between 8-10) and I love seeing what everyone picked out. I guess I'm a huge nerd.
    Posted by GeauxTigers17[/QUOTE]

<div>Yep, I've been registry stalking my friends too! We haven't registered yet but once we do I will be sooooooo tempted to look. I won't give anyone the login info because I could still easily look it up online or whatever.. I'll just ask my MOH/sister or BMs once it's closer to a shower if they think we should register for anything else</div>
  • Actually, I've been told that it is best to look at your registry the closer it gets to your wedding.  You don't want only $5 kitchen gadgets left on your registry weeks before the wedding leaving that to be the only option for your guests if they so choose to bring an actual gift rather than cash.

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks guys! I really like the idea of asking my mom or MOH to keep an eye on it in case we need to add more. That way I can make sure there is stuff at all price points and still keep it a surprise...that is if I can stay away! It is soooo tempting!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am a HUGE registry stalker.  I constantly look at not only my own registries, but friends' and acquaintances' registries as well.  I'm a weirdo.

Quite a few items on one of our registries were bought recently when the store had their semi-annual friends and family sale.  FSIL actually alerted me that stuff was getting bought, so I guess she's been registry stalking as well, LOL.  Love it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I stopped before the showers because I wanted to be suprised, but will probably look again before the wedding. We aren't opening wedding gifts in front of anyone so I won't feel bad knowing what everthing is, and I'll be able to see if anything needs changed, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh.  I am SO guilty of this.  I look at least a few times a week.  My family isn't very close and we're having a destination wedding, so we're not expecting many gifts.  So far, nothing has been bought from the registry.  Each time I look I hope to find something "fulfilled," but nothing yet.  I need to stop obsessing.
  • I will admit I look way too much.  My shower is this weekend and I hope I am not thinking "oh that is who got that"
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-stalking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e25a1ce7-2d9e-4ab2-bf26-6c79603ad998Post:67843185-e4c8-4c12-974d-d93d03689833">Re: Registry Stalking</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I am so tempted to just give my mom the login info once we register and ask her to change the passwords. That way, she can check and see if we need to add stuff, but I won't be able to check it.  </strong>I will admit to registry stalking my friends. We have so many getting married this year (somewhere between 8-10) and I love seeing what everyone picked out. I guess I'm a huge nerd.
    Posted by GeauxTigers17[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha this is what I will probably end up doing :)</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-stalking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:e25a1ce7-2d9e-4ab2-bf26-6c79603ad998Post:9132c1c0-f40d-41b1-b088-bf8f042999f8">Registry Stalking</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just needed to say it out loud (or online I guess)...but I hereby solemnly swear not to registry stalk. Despite the terrible temptation I will avoid looking unnecessarily or even login without good reason.   I love a surprise, but clearly shouldn’t be given access to the solution! Anyone else with me?  
    Posted by SandiaLiz[/QUOTE]

I was trying to decide if I should do this or not.  I'm going to be moving just before the wedding and I'm like I don't want to move things that I have (I have all hand-me-down pots and pans appliances) if I got it and I don't want to get rid of things just because I put them on my registry because that doesn't mean I'm going to get them. 

I decided I want to be surprised and don't want to be a stalker and if it's something I really don't want to get rid of I can buy after the wedding, I think we will have saved up more money than we will need for the wedding/honeymoon so I will have extra cash to spend. 

But it is hard not to.
    "Faith Hope and Love are some good things he gave us, and the greatest is Love"
  • I haven't necessarily been stalking but I have been logging on daily asking myself if there's enough stuff on there & today it happened... FIRST gift was purchased & I couldn't resist looking at what it was :) .  BBB should really not have the # of gifts wanted, # of gifts purchased, # of gifts left... if it wasn't for it showing I had a gift I would've never gone to look at what it was :).  Although I'm hoping that if I decide to add something to the registry later on that I'm not tempted to scroll and see what items have been purchased but instead just add whatever & log off.
  • I've been bad because Macy's site is a little confusing (there's no way to tell if something that is out of stock online, is available at stores) so I freaked out and was trying to replace stuff. Our bedset was listed as "limited quantities" and I finally got my guy to agree to a set with a floral pattern (he always likes really boyish stuff) so I didn't want to go through that all over again. I stalked until someone bought it. It was actually the first thing purchased! Now when I'm bored I can't stop myself! Might make a game to guess who bought what (example: saw the infuser tea pot was purchase and that is sooooo something my cousin would get me).

• I'm definitely guilty of this, but I feel justified in peeking. I live at my school, and all the registry gifts that are bought online are being shipped to my school's central office, so I have to pick them up there (usually right before or after class), sometimes take them to class with me, and then carry them to my apartment. When I see something has been bought, I know I should be expecting a package, and I was glad I knew ahead of time that my 40 piece, heavy, fragile wedding china set was coming, so I could ask my sister to be ready to help me carry it :). Plus to me the real surprise is usally finding out who bought it.
  • Maybe it's just an excuse, but I actually I will registry stalk. For two reasons: 1) we didn't register for as many gifts as we have guests, and so I want to periodically check in to see if we need to add things so people who wait until a couple weeks or days before aren't left wondering what to get us. 2) My apartment building has a history of package theft. No joke. My first pair of wedding shoes showed up one afternoon, were left in the main entrace of the building for some reason, and were stolen. :( So I'd like a heads up for when i should be expecting a package and can make sure they know not to leave it here without a signature. 
  • I have never even heard of this! Embarassed Although I have never registered for anything. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I guess I don't get wanting to be "surprised".  You know what you registered for, so it won't be a surprise anyway.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • so glad to know i'm not the only one!!
  • Well, I've continued to registry stalk and today noticed that two gifts have been "fulfilled."  I was so excited, but sorta sad because it would have been much cooler to have them randomly show up at the door and get to open them with FH.  For us, it would be a surprise because, although we picked out all the stuff, it's unlikely that all of the gifts will be bought, so it's a surprise to see what we received and from whom.

I wish there were a way to indicate preferences or favorites on the registry.  FH and I really, REALLY want the cappuccino maker we registered for.  If we had to pick just one gift on the whole registry, we'd pick that one, even though there are items that are a lot more expensive on the registry.  I'm thinking of telling my mom this, so that if a family member asks, she can pass on the inside info.
  • then how will you know when you need to add more gifts to your registry??
  •   I admit it... i look ALL the time!!!  My shower is  Saturday, so I am trying not to look, but am not very successful in it.  I do like the idea of handing it over to somone else though.... if I can do it... I may just try that!
  • I am totally guilty of this. I registry stalk all the time. Myself, my friends, strangers. I love seeing what people pick out. Also, I am having two showers so I want to make sure there are still options available after the first shower.
  • mkjpopmkjpop member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I loved registry stalking, and to be honest, I got sick of people (fiance, mom, MOH) giving me crap about it. Loosen the controls and let me do something that added to my excitement about the wedding. It's no skin off of ANYONE'S back if you ladies want to registry stalk.

(if you don't want to... then... more power to you!)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    158 image 125 image 33 image 0image RSVP Date: May 27
  • I was looking quite a bit before my shower because I was curious...but hardly any dropped off the list, so I got frustrated.  Turns out several of my friends & family members went in together on the couple larger gifts, which accounted for the things I had seen drop off... and then all the rest of the gals were just last minute shoppers.  hahah...

Anyway...I got tired of being frustated, because it felt somewhat selfish, so I've resolved not to look again til a few weeks before our actual wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-stalking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:e25a1ce7-2d9e-4ab2-bf26-6c79603ad998Post:5417e1b2-b1b5-47dc-8a5e-1b817add1185">Re: Registry Stalking</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well, I've continued to registry stalk and today noticed that two gifts have been "fulfilled."  I was so excited, but sorta sad because it would have been much cooler to have them randomly show up at the door and get to open them with FH.  For us, it would be a surprise because, although we picked out all the stuff, it's unlikely that all of the gifts will be bought, so it's a surprise to see what we received and from whom. <strong>I wish there were a way to indicate preferences or favorites on the registry. </strong> FH and I really, REALLY want the cappuccino maker we registered for.  If we had to pick just one gift on the whole registry, we'd pick that one, even though there are items that are a lot more expensive on the registry.  I'm thinking of telling my mom this, so that if a family member asks, she can pass on the inside info.
    Posted by cherieo[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Amazon wedding registries let you rate things as "nice to have", "like to have" and "love to have". All registries should implement something like this.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-stalking?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:e25a1ce7-2d9e-4ab2-bf26-6c79603ad998Post:0a2ba173-b4a6-44ea-9b32-21bc2caf4d61">Re: Registry Stalking</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loved registry stalking, and to be honest, I got sick of people (fiance, mom, MOH) giving me crap about it. Loosen the controls and let me do something that added to my excitement about the wedding. It's no skin off of ANYONE'S back if you ladies want to registry stalk. (if you don't want to... then... more power to you!)
    Posted by mkjpop[/QUOTE]

I agree! My grandmother gave me such a hard time about it but it's not like I didn't know what we might be getting. I picked it out. As a PP said, the real suprise was seeing who bought it. The only downside was that my shower was a suprise and even though I was still suprised, I sort of had an idea it was coming up because so many things started coming off of the registries.
    PhotobucketWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards