Registry and Gift Forum

Casual dishes...how many settings?

We registered for 12 settings of the china and only 8 for the every day dishes.  My question is do people normally register for 12 of each or is it usually less for every day dishes?
Thanks!

Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/

Re: Casual dishes...how many settings?

• We registered for 16 of the everyday settings. Assuming they will last us a long time (it's Fiesta), and that we have at least 2 children, we figured 4 place settings per meal (possibly more for preparation), and we'd like to be able to make it at least a day without running the dishwasher. Also, unless you want to break out your china every time you have more than 8 people for dinner (we like to entertain, so this will be often for us), you'll need more as well.

Consider not just the lifestyle you live now, but the one you'll have in 5-10 years, and then figure out how many settings you want.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 12 is what we're doing. I didn't register for china, just casual.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
  • We did 12 casual, no china
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_casual-dishedhow-many-settings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5e4f2975-be01-4bb1-a625-21277e919cebPost:306ee89a-de6e-4682-bdee-12da00883f7f">Re: Casual dishes...how many settings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did 12 china and 16 regular.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    Wow, really? I've obviously missed the memo. I had originally registered for 12 regular & 8 china, but then I made it 12/12. I totally get the idea of looking at the lifestyle & home you may have in the future, rather than now. I think I'll keep it at 12/12, then if needed, buy more later. My casual is also Fiesta.
  • I have 12 everyday... and I think 10 china.  The china was inherited, so I didn't think about numbers there. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • We're not doing china, but we are doing clear glass place settings. I guess they could be considered "fancy" if they needed to. We are doing 24 plates & 24 bowls, 4 mugs, and 8-12 glasses becuase 1.. they are a great price, and 2.. we go through dishes like crazy! (FI is a great cook and we eat real meals 2-3 times a day.)

We have four place settings right now (Corell, which we LOVE, BTW, I suggest it to you all. We drop it all the time!) and never have enough. When we have family over it's always paper plates. Ha!

Where do you get Fiesta? Is that at Macy's and JCP?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    "He was my mum and dad's best friend. He's a convicted murderer, but he's broken out of wizard prison and he's on the run. He likes to keep in touch with me, though...keep up with news...check if I'm happy..."

Harry on Sirus to the Dursleys. HP Prisoner of Azkaban
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_casual-dishedhow-many-settings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5e4f2975-be01-4bb1-a625-21277e919cebPost:0e6dd695-0b49-4d00-8d7e-cd90fc48800b">Re: Casual dishes...how many settings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're not doing china, but we are doing clear glass place settings. I guess they could be considered "fancy" if they needed to. We are doing 24 plates & 24 bowls, 4 mugs, and 8-12 glasses becuase 1.. they are a great price, and 2.. we go through dishes like crazy! (FI is a great cook and we eat real meals 2-3 times a day.) We have four place settings right now (Corell, which we LOVE, BTW, I suggest it to you all. We drop it all the time!) and never have enough. When we have family over it's always paper plates. Ha!<strong> Where do you get Fiesta? Is that at Macy's and JCP?</strong>
    Posted by Britoz[/QUOTE]
    I'm registered for Fiesta at Kohl's because they had the largest selection for me. They do carry it at Macy's, JCP and some of it at Bed Bath & Beyond. 
  • lopezalonsolopezalonso member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did 14 for the china and 8 for the casual. If we ever had more than 8 people over for dinner it would be considered more of a "fancy" event for us in which case we would bring out the china. We didn't register for the good china just to use it once a year. At least 5 times a year ;)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fine china registry is to complete the set I inherited, up to 13 place settings. My family of 5 managed alright with 8 place settings of everyday china (corelle), so we won't register for more than that. I don't expect the everyday stuff to last a lifetime.
  • we got 12 china and 12 everyday. i wouldn't be opposed to more china though!
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Thanks ladies for al your responses!! Very helpful :-)
    Follow Me on Pinterest image

Weight Loss Journey Blog- Feel free to read if you like!updated 3/25/12 http://danaslapbandjourney.blogspot.com/
  • I am registered for 12 casual and 12 china :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • We're doing 12 casual and no china (I hope to inherit china later).    Even on the weekends when we cook all three meals at home, we don't usually use an entire place-setting per person per meal.  We might use bowls at breakfast, salad plates at lunch (I prefer to eat lunch of a smaller plate for portion control), and dinner plates for dinner.  We're registering for wooden salad bowls, so if we needed a salad bowl for dinner we could use those.     OR we could just run the dishwasher during the day, NBD.

Also, I'm in the military and I move a lot, and it's REALLY hard to find a kitchen with cabinets big enough to hold more than about 8-12 place settings (especially if your bowls don't stack or nest well).  So unless you KNOW that it will all fit in your current cabinets, and know you won't ever move, then I would keep it to NO MORE than 12 place settings.  
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_casual-dishedhow-many-settings?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5e4f2975-be01-4bb1-a625-21277e919cebPost:3ab7fb9d-fc7d-4cc5-9e21-2aeb75ebff78">Re: Casual dishes...how many settings?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Casual dishes...how many settings? : We were afraid of breaking dishes so we did more of the regular.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. 
  • We are doing 12 china and 8 casual everyday.  If we have more than 8 people over it would be a party or a nice dinner so we would then use our china.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • We're doing 12 china and 12 casual everyday. I'd rather have extras of everything in case something breaks and I would hate to run a dishwasher every other day.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • We did 12 and 12 also. Fiesta is always around and you can always buy more if you break a piece.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've had service for 12 in my cupboards for probably the last 15 years (have an additional 8 settings in the box, it is correlle), wouldn't think of having less but we have family over often and have more dishes than just the everyday.  We didn't get china but I have the white plates/bowls/mugs from World Market that were incredibly affordable for when I have a big gang over.  If we have a "family day" gathering we are far in excess of 30 and I am getting away from disposables as I'm trying to reduce what we throw away.  Between the correlle and the dishes from World Market I could do a small - medium size wedding with no problem! 
  • We're registered for 9 settings for everyday (8 really, but the ninth set is for if one breaks), and 12 fine china. 

• I'm doing 16 everyday and 12 formal china.  I just don't like to run the dishwasher every other day - my dishwasher can hold more than 12 and I don't want to waste water - and FI and I eat real meals often.  I'm also on the fiesta train because if something breaks or chips it's not hard to replace.  My advice is to consider 1) the size of your cabinets; 2) the size of your dishwasher if you have one; and 3) how many meals/day you usually eat off of a plate for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards