Latino Weddings

Reception, Blending of Cultures

Do you guys think it is okay to have your reception decor with a Mexican flare, but then for your food to not be Mexican?  We are having the dinner catered by a steakhouse that does steak and sea food and we are having a few Mexican touches to the menu, but it is not a Mexican menu.  But, I really want papel picado and hand painted terra cotta pots.  Do you think I can mix and match like that?

Re: Reception, Blending of Cultures

• edited December 2011
    I think it is totally okay.  Much of our wedding will be Mexican in style but the food won't be because we want out guests to experience pacific northwest cuisine.  There is nothing incompatible about having "american" food and "mexican" decor.  In fact, I've never had "Mexican" food at a wedding in Mexico, other than as a late night snack.  It's usually a chicken dish prepared exactly as I would expect at a U.S. wedding.
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I don't think it matters whether or not you serve ethnic cuisine. I think it would be completely adorable to see touches of a bride or groom's heritage splashed around the ceremony and/or reception.
    Married in Boston, MA: Nov 8, 2013.
    Me: 27. Him: 30. DD: >1.
    Vow Renewal in Beavercreek, OH: July 1, 2017.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!!  Just the support I needed!  Now, I can't wait to get planning!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards