Wedding Etiquette Forum

Embrace your flaws!

*I pride myself on my awesome spelling - MOST of the time. I always spell recommend, accommodations and receive incorrectly. (I had to spell check those)

*I have a seriously terrible time being patient enough for my pedicures and manicures to dry. I almost always destroy them within 10 minutes of leaving the nail place.

*I love spending money. Retail therapy is my vice of choice.

Now you go.

Re: Embrace your flaws!

• * I'm a procrastinator. Especially on stuff that is really important. But there is nothing like an impending deadline to get me working and I work really well under pressure.

* I tend to relate what someone else is telling me back to something about me. I try to be aware of it so I don't seem so self-centered. I think it's more my way of letting the other person know I understand what they are saying because of my experience in a similar thing, but I know it really just comes across as narcissistic.

* I talk A LOT. I like to call myself a conversationalist. Mostly I just can't shut up. My sister has said, though, that in social situations where there is a group of people and one or two new people that my talking and asking questions facilitates conversation well within the group and allows the newcomers to get to know the others better. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • :: stands in retail therapy corner with Lady ::

- I'm the opposite of a procrastinator? What's that? I have to have things done RIGHT NAO OR ELSE. RAWR. Sometimes it even irritates me. A lot.

- I have a really short fuse, and no patience for incompetence. This makes me a biitch.

- I... don't come around here 'nuff anymore? Does that count? Erm... Happy 2012 e'rryone Tongue Out
  •  * I'm controlling when it comes to household things such as groceries and decor. FI has let me take over these things for the most part. I consented to let him decide how to decorate the bedroom. 

* I sing about random things. I like to blame it on working with young children but I tend to do it in public now too. It's caused a few awkward moments. 
  • -I am not ambitious or competitive at all. I feel like I could be doing better in life if I were, but I'm just too apathetic. 

-I'm snobby. I try to rein it in most of the time, but it's just there. I'm just naturally a snob and I doubt this will ever really change. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:90f3472d-885e-44b0-b77d-b99021964516">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE].<strong> * I tend to relate what someone else is telling me back to something about me. I try to be aware of it so I don't seem so self-centered. I think it's more my way of letting the other person know I understand what they are saying because of my experience in a similar thing, but I know it really just comes across as narcissistic.</strong> 
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]
    Ooh, I do that. I hate it! I swear I give a damn about other people! Speaking of...how's TTC going? I was thinking of you the other day when my dancer friend talked about TTC. <div>
    </div><div><strong><em><u>ALIX!</u></em></strong></div>
  • * I am also anti-social and a home body. It used to frustrate me that I wasn't "normal" and didn't want to go out much but I'm trying to embrace it.

*I get a food craving in my head and it won't go away until it's satisfied. I can eat a whole bag of doritos no problem. I'm trying really hard to keep my love for food, but change the cravings to better foods.

*I'm vain. I have really high standards for what I think I need to look like. Surprisingly, I don't have those standards for others. Actually, it's quite the opposite as far as my standards for other people go. I'm too hard on my own appearance and pick apart every flaw. I don't know how to embrace this, but I am trying to be easier on myself.

• I'm a control freak about anthing I care about. If I don't care, then I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

I wear my emotions on my sleeve so being cranky is a common occurence for me.

I'm extremely stubborn to the point of rarely accepting something I don't believe in unless I have proof.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:341c6cc8-0ef4-4d65-9115-29885e0424f3">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE] * I'm controlling when it comes to household things such as groceries and decor. FI has let me take over these things for the most part. I consented to let him decide how to decorate the bedroom.  * <strong>I sing about random things.</strong> I like to blame it on working with young children but I tend to do it in public now too. It's caused a few awkward moments. 
    Posted by ArynBaker[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>HAH! I do this too! I don't think it's a flaw. :P  H does it as well. Sometimes we'll get stuck on a theme and we'll make up whole songs, usually in the shower. (What? Shower time is for funsies. It's relaxing time to be silly and connect. And sing songs.) The last big one was about the monkey that recently was monkey-napped from the SF Zoo and found a day or two later in a park nearby. Poor thing. But his name was Banana Sam so we made a song about Banana Sam being on the lam and flipping off the man. Heh.</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:90f3472d-885e-44b0-b77d-b99021964516">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE] * I tend to relate what someone else is telling me back to something about me. I try to be aware of it so I don't seem so self-centered. I think it's more my way of letting the other person know I understand what they are saying because of my experience in a similar thing, but I know it really just comes across as narcissistic.

This too.  I'm just socially inept and don't usually realize until later that I may have sounded narcissistic or offensive.

* I'm also really lazy when it comes to leaving the house.  Like, once I'm in I'm staying in. I skipped a networking event Tuesday because putting on a bra and pants was just <em>that </em>unappealing.

* FI says I'm an ice queen.  I think I'm just inept and shy so I fall back on my finishing school teachings in social situations where I'm uncomfortable.
  • - I am by nature a pessimist, and I have to fight to be optimistic some days.  Not really pessimist in the "woe is me" Eeyore thing, but pessimist in the "if there are two outcomes to this problem, I'm pretty sure it's going to be the bad one" way.  I also general magnify every problem.  Like, if something sucks now, I think that that's the way it's always going to be.

- I am a control freak.  I like to prepare for every little problem (see Flaw #1 up there), and I get very upset if I feel like something is out of my range of control.

- I procrastinate a lot.

- I can be very emotional.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• - I'm stubborn as hell (the German in me)
    - I procrastinate terribly (actually, I procrastinate very well. It's just a terrible habit)
    - I have a short temper (the Italian in me)
    - I have the attention span of a flea at times

Yep, basically I can be a flightly bitch who doesn't get anything done on time. But I make really good cupcakes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:341c6cc8-0ef4-4d65-9115-29885e0424f3">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE] * I'm controlling when it comes to household things such as groceries and decor. FI has let me take over these things for the most part. I consented to let him decide how to decorate the bedroom. <strong> * I sing about random things.</strong> I like to blame it on working with young children but I tend to do it in public now too. It's caused a few awkward moments. 
    Posted by ArynBaker[/QUOTE]

<div>I do this too. My dad also does this. I think it's fun. I catch myself singing about things all day long. If I'm cooking chicken for dinner, I'm probably singing about chicken dinner. I don't think that's a flaw at all. I'm shy enough that in public I don't really talk at all, so I don't think I sing either.</div>
  • I am also very controlling, and therefore bad at delegating. 
  • - I am crazy anxious about things. I'm always worried people won't like me and what not. It keeps me from doing things I want to do which is lame.

- I'm kind of a doormat. I'll let people walk all over me.

- My feet are huge.
  • Alix!!

I'm also terrible with money.
    I'm judgmental.
    My self esteem is crap.
    I have difficulty motivating.
    I have an addictive-type personality.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:fdafb151-a3d5-4231-960b-b38f2ce587f6">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Embrace your flaws! : Ooh, I do that. I hate it! I swear I give a damn about other people! Speaking of...how's TTC going? I was thinking of you the other day when my dancer friend talked about TTC.  ALIX!
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Well, it's taking longer than we had hoped. We're at the frustrated stage. There's nothing wrong as far as we know and it's still well within the normal range for a healthy couple to get pregnant, but this is cycle 9 and I'm getting a bit down about it. Especially because I've told a few close girlfriends and a few of them have given me the "Just relax and it will happen!" line. I want to punch them in the mouth. But all we can do is keep trying and if it gets to the point where it's been a year we'll seek further help.</div><div>
    </div><div>Oh, I guess I remembered another flaw. I will get focused on something and then I talk about it endlessly, out of stress or anxiety or excitement. So my poor sister has taken the brunt of the TTC venting this whole time. She has been awesome and a wonderful support but I swear sometimes I'm telling her about stuff and part of my brain is screaming at me to just STFU already, that she's sick of hearing about my stupid cycle or which OPKs we are trying. Sheesh.</div><div>
    </div><div>

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:8cc9f714-cba3-4f31-8ed7-b7c313ba3faf">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE]:: - I'm the opposite of a procrastinator? What's that? I have to have things done RIGHT NAO OR ELSE. RAWR.  
    Posted by alixzafiris[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I also have a low tolerance for people who can't understand and function on this level, which makes the my work day and wedding planning a daily headache.
    Anniversary
  • - I'm a bit lazy and I hate getting up early.  Which makes me very un-sociable in the mornings!

- I have a lot of trouble matching names to faces.  I can recognize someone i've met once, but I won't remember their name unless it's on their shirt or something.

- I procrastinate, not really because I don't like doing stuff, I just get distracted ea.......

Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength, and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend. - Andrew Futral

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:e4c87ab1-05ab-4fe0-8342-74c714abdf80">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Embrace your flaws! : This is me too.  I kinda wish I never set up my voicemail.  Once I get a job I'm contemplating changing the greeting to "Hi, you've reached Chrissy.  Please hang up and text me if you have a cell phone.  If you must leave a v-mail do so at the beep."
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

It has happened, more than once, that I've noticed a missed call from FI and called him back asking "why didn't you leave a message?" His reply, "it said your mailbox was full." Sometimes it's because I don't bother listening to them, I just call whoever it is back without listening to the voicemail. A lot times, though, it's because I'm bad a deleting the messages after I listen - especially if it's something that has specific information. Like a girlfriend will call with a time to meet for a drink and I save the message just in case my calendar goes wonky (or whatever improbable glitch I think of happens) and I don't actually get around to deleting it until about 4 months after we've actually gone out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, Bubbs, I'm gonna put you in my pocket and send baby vibes your way. You deserve it! I can't imagine how difficult it must be. I'm pullin' for you!
  • Thanks LDY. :) We know it will happen when it happens, it's just frustrating. 

• H calls it tornado mode, but usually as soon as I get home from work I speedy-crazy try to clean the house a bit. I don't even think about doing it; I just get home and pick up dishes, start laundry, make the bed, vacuum the rug, etc. I guess I act stressed out about it, but I just like to have a clean house before I sit down. I've been trying to act more "nice" while I go about my routine.
    [QUOTE]* I'm a procrastinator. Especially on stuff that is really important. But there is nothing like an impending deadline to get me working and I work really well under pressure. * <strong>I tend to relate what someone else is telling me back to something about me. I try to be aware of it so I don't seem so self-centered. I think it's more my way of letting the other person know I understand what they are saying because of my experience in a similar thing, but I know it really just comes across as narcissistic.</strong> * I talk A LOT. I like to call myself a conversationalist. Mostly I just can't shut up. My sister has said, though, that in social situations where there is a group of people and one or two new people that my talking and asking questions facilitates conversation well within the group and allows the newcomers to get to know the others better. 
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I do the same thing. I'm doing it now.

</div>
  • Ranchy, what's the latest on your houseguest?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:ae826086-d10c-490a-88e0-215d310e7e1f">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Erin - I do the exact same thing. FI tells me to quit and relax, but I tell him that I can't relax until the house is in order. He's become amazing at having his things picked up before I get home now. Now once we get ManBoy out of our house, we'll really be doing good. (Although he's gotten a thousand times better too. Still though. Get the eff out of our house!)
    Posted by rachers1017[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I didn't ever realize I was giving off stressed out vibes as I was picking up. Now I make a point to come home, sit down and give my dog some attention, kiss my H, and <em>then </em>I can do my thing. It's helped.</div><div>
    </div><div> I couldn't handle ManBoy, that would drive me bonkers. I was thinking about the laundry thing as I was doing our laundry this week. I haven't had six loads of laundry per week unless I skip a few weeks!!

</div>
  • Ohhai guys. Fancy bumping into you here Smile
  • I am the laziest person I know. I could absolutely spend the whole week on the sofa, watching tv and not feel the slightest bit guilty about it.

I also have a fear that if anyone else takes up one of my hobbies, they'll be better than me. 
  • DuBird - I'm also incredibly anti-social in the morning.  I didn't even realize it until a few years ago when we were on a road trip in the morning, and Matt (my usually incredibly quiet husband) was just jabbering away, while I was sitting there mute.

On the other hand, I'm about as chatty as they come.  My report cards used to complain that I would get my work done too quickly and then chat with (e.g. bother) everyone around me.

I get ADD when I decide to do something and it's exciting.  After we decided on our plans for Europe, I stayed up until 3am several nights in a row researching hotels and flights.  Then I HAD to book them right away.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_embrace-your-flaws?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:486e4d02-89bb-4882-9ed4-229cf917c060Post:ba505256-abc8-46eb-a3a3-a745dac91f2d">Re: Embrace your flaws!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm also terrible with money. I'm judgmental. My self esteem is crap. I have difficulty motivating. I have an addictive-type personality.
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much my list.  Oh, and I have serious food issues. 
    [QUOTE] I tend to relate what someone else is telling me back to something about me. I try to be aware of it so I don't seem so self-centered. I think it's more my way of letting the other person know I understand what they are saying because of my experience in a similar thing, but I know it really just comes across as narcissistic. 

<div>This is me too. </div><div>
    </div><div>* I also procrastinate. Then it overwhelms me what I need to get done. I need to get better at making lists & prioritizing.</div><div>
    </div><div>*I sometimes have a hard time having conversations with some people. I tend to get boxed into a subject, and when someone jumps out of my "conversation topic box", I can't follow because I'm trying to figure out how they got from A to B</div><div>
    </div><div>*I tend to be "Type A" about certain things, like cooking. Stick me in a kitchen & I turn into Grodon Ramsey. </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards