July 2011 Weddings

Cake Flavors Help Needed

Okay ladies... 
FI and I are meeting with a cake vendor in January but we need to put together our list of potential cake flavors.  I thought I would post and see what you all think of the ideas thus far and read any ideas you have as well!

All with Buttercream (ivory) frosting (we don't like fondant)
1) Chocolate cake with strawberry and cream filling
2) Strawberry flavored cake with Chocolate filling
3) Marble (chocolate and vanilla) cake with strawberry and cream filling
4) Raspberry cake with strawberry, raspberry, and chocolate filling

I am struggling with this because FI said: my favorite is strawberries, raspberries, cherries (when I asked him about his favorite dessert flavors).  I absolutely hate cherries, and I have wanted chocolate from day 1.  

What do you think?  What cake / filling would you recommend?  

It's early to meet with the cake vendor, I know... but we have to do these things when we can both get the time to do it, and January seems to make sense with our busy schedules. 

I think we can give the cake vendor probably 3 or 4 flavors, maybe more, and she'll make them for us since we are 99% sure we're going to use her for the cake. 

TIA! 
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Cake Flavors Help Needed

• Can't you have a few different flavors? If you're having a cake with tiers it's pretty common to have a different flavor for each tier.

If you can only pick one...well I prefer either chocolate or vanilla with a fruit filling (raspberry or strawberry would be my choice). But I've never had a fruit-flavored cake so it's hard for me to say. I just think chocolate and vanilla are more universally appealing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Did they give you a list of what you can choose from? Or can you make a list of anything?
    Photobucket
  • no list to choose from -- she can do (and has done) just about everything conceivable.  She is the best cake vendor in the region, and for good reason!  We are trying to do an all-one-flavor cake because we want the memory of the cake to be "this is our wedding cake" and it's all one flavor.  Plus, we're keeping and freezing the top tier, so we need it to all be the same.  

I think most of the guests would like fruit, although that is definitely something to consider.  Any other thoughts? 
  • The chocolate cake with strawberry and cream filling sounds yummy to me :)

Vacation
  • I like chocolate with a fruit filling... cherry would be yummy, or raspberry.  Mmmmmmm!!!
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think the chocolate with a fruit filling or the marble with a fruit filling would be good too!!!
    Photobucket
  • I think our top layer will be strawberry with chocolate ganache filling.  My proposal happened with strawberry cake so it has special meaning.

I think our biggest layer is going to be a strawberry margarita flavor with fresh strawberry filing, as long as it tastes as amazing as it sounds. 

We will also have a layer of a more traditional flavor, and I plan to have a surprise groom's cake in something traditional as well so that people have their choice.
  • I'm voting for the marble option.  honestly I don't like most chocolate cake (our cake vendor surprised me and I love hers) so if chocolate was the only option I'd be bummed.  So which ever flavor you go with it needs to be generic enough to appeal to all your guests.

We decided to do differnt tiers different flavors so hopefully everyone can find something they like.  Also, so more cake will get eaten as people try the various options.  Don't want to be taking more home than necessary.

Why does the fact you are freezing the top tier mean you have to have it all the same?  I totally get the 'this is our wedding cake flavor' but I'm confused on why since your freezing it has to be the same since the tiers are done separately.
  • chocolate with raspberry filling sounds the best to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!
    175image Are Ready to Party!!
    56image Are Party Poopers!!
    59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

• Chocolate with strawberries sounds the best to me.  We've been to 3 cake tastings, so I don't think it's too early either.  I would go with different flavors.  Try everything you can.  The flavor we've liked the best so far actually is a chocolate cake with coconut cream.  Maybe you'd want to try that if it's an option.  I'd stay away from raspberry.  I don't like fruit filled cakes, unless it's fresh strawberries like in the first option.  
  • I would see if you can have different types on different layers. I love the variety. We are doing vanilla with strawbery filling and a chocolate with raspberry filling. It seems like you and FI would like that combo as well.

I have never really had a fruity flavored cake (ok, except Pillsbury's strawberry cake...which is pretty awesome). I think most people would at least feel comfortable with a chocolate or vanilla cake and be more likely to like it.
  • Chocolate and Raspberry!!  I've had cakes with fruit filling and they're wonderful!  The only thing is though, I need to have a filling without fruit because I have an uncle who does not like fruit at all!  and I'm sure there are people who do not like fruit fillings...but you can't please everyone!
  • In Response to Re: Cake Flavors Help Needed:
    Chocolate and Raspberry!!  I've had cakes with fruit filling and they're wonderful!  The only thing is though, I need to have a filling without fruit because I have an uncle who does not like fruit at all!  and I'm sure there are people who do not like fruit fillings...but you can't please everyone!
    Posted by littlemoments324
    This is quite true.  You only get one wedding cake.  So maybe better advice may be if you are going with one option order less cake unless the cake is being served directly to guests.  Not a lot less, but a little less to avoid too much left over.
  • Chocolate cake with some kind of fruit filing--strawberry or raspberry!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wow thanks for all the suggestions!  I hadn't thought about leftover cake...  No one in my family has ever done multi-flavored tiers, so that's just a totally brand-new concept to me.  I'll have to give it more thought.  It sounds nice in theory, but I think I would want a piece of each flavor... hahah! :-)  

When my SIL and Bro got married, they had single flavored cake, only 2 tiers but had 2 sheet cakes in the back, and since she had a large wedding it made sense to have sheet cakes.  They were all one flavor... I think just regular pound cake with sweet buttercream icing.  My FI and I want something with more flavor.  I wonder about having strawberries on the side, instead of in the cake?  

Hmm... lots of drooling to do while I think about this!! :-) 
  • Marble (chocolate and vanilla) cake with strawberry and cream filling
    no list to choose from -- she can do (and has done) just about everything conceivable.  She is the best cake vendor in the region, and for good reason!  We are trying to do an all-one-flavor cake because we want the memory of the cake to be "this is our wedding cake" and it's all one flavor.  Plus, we're keeping and freezing the top tier, so we need it to all be the same.   I think most of the guests would like fruit, although that is definitely something to consider.  Any other thoughts? 
    Posted by kellya01
    I'm a bit late to the thread, so I apologize.  I get what you're saying (even though I do think your reasoning is kind of silly, but that's just me); however, from a guest's perspective I would have several flavors to choose from if I were you.  I, personally, HATE cakes that have strawberries in them and since that's generally a top fruit-filler contender for most people I'm always incredibly grateful when a couple has several options to choose from.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Chocolate cake with strawberry or raspberry filling :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    In Response to Re: Cake Flavors Help Needed : I'm a bit late to the thread, so I apologize.  I get what you're saying (even though I do think your reasoning is kind of silly, but that's just me); 
    Posted by peaches85

LOL, no hard feelings.  I am still in the "construction" phase on the cake.  I'm hoping to have a short list of flavors narrowed down in the next week or two.  

Thanks everyone for your feedback!  
    * wiping the drool off my face, yum * 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards