Kentucky-Louisville

Inviting People

I am having a small wedding, maybe with only 100 or so guests.  I have some distant family who I would LIKE to invite, but to keep our wedding simple & to stay on budget we opted for 100 or less guests.  Do you send the distant family an "announcement" or a "If I could invite you, I would..." type of card?
I'm just wondering what proper etiquette would be.

Re: Inviting People

• inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not send anything at all, but would pass along through word of mouth that you're doing a very small wedding and just can't invite everyone.  They'll understand.  And if not, then they're not really decent people.  :)
  • brides-motherbrides-mother member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, the proper ettiquette for distint relatives is to send an Announcement (not an invitaton) after the ceremony.  In the olden days it was sometimes referred to as an "at home" card.  As in the new couple is "at home" having returned after touring the continent and are now at home and ready to receive guests.

Oh my, I really dated myself knowing that . . .
  • kysnowbirdkysnowbird member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it really worries you, you can always maybe include a line or two on some hoer sort of correspondence, like a Christmas card? Something like, "We're enjoying our first Christmas as husband and wife. Wish we could have had unlimited funds to invite ALL the family to the wedding, but we thought of you all with much, much love on our wedding day." Something along those lines? But also, word of mouth is a good way, especially for family. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would send an announcement or just spread it by word of mouth. Don't call attention to the fact that you didn't invite them.
  • annamhisleannamhisle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A Christmas card is perfect!!! Thanks Everyone :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards