Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Saying our vows in another language???

I'm just wondering what you all think of this.  My fiance and I are Japanese American.  Sometimes I feel more comfortable expressing myself in Japanese to him.  So I was thinking of saying my vows partially in English and partially in Japanese.  I was just wondering if this is rude to guests who do not understand Japanese?

Re: Saying our vows in another language???

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think so.  You are making your vows with eachother not your guests.  Personally, I think it would be more intimate if you both said your vows entirely in Japanese.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    Sloane99Sloane99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not at all, I went to a wedding where the bride and groom did exactly this and I thought it was beautiful. They did put the translation in the program though which was a nice way to include the guests (like me) that did not understand the vows themselves.
    2 IVFs & 1 FET. Welcome home baby girl!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    this sounds beautiful!

think about having an english translation of your vows on your program. that way the guests can listen to the beautiful language and still know what you're committing to each other. and if you did that, I say do it all in Japanese.

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello!

I performed a wedding a few months ago where the wedding couple said some things in Japanese.  One way you may want to consider doing it is to have your officiant say it in English first and then you could say it in Japanese.  That's what my couple did.  It was absolutely beautiful and added a special touch.   Something else you might consider is having the words written on your program if you're going to have one.  Your parents would probably enjoy it also!

Best wishes!

Rev. Judith
    unforgettablevows.com

• Options
    kwolla77kwolla77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i am actually having the opposite problem... our pastor is portuguese and our whole ceremony will be in portuguese, however i wanted to do our vows and say I Do in English, because i feel more comfortable and it would mean more to me... saying things in portuguese don't really have the same effect on me as in english so im kinda at a cross roads because my fiance thinks it would be weird to switch the vows over to english when everything else is in portuguese, but i really never envisioned saying the traditional "to have and to hold" vows to him in portuguese because it would just feel insincere to me... blah
  • Options
    tpender13tpender13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_saying-vows-another-language?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:24Discussion:a3690454-18fc-4021-97ec-bcd569b34049Post:5d6ae464-e67f-4e11-9f4a-3e960a4c561f">Re: Saying our vows in another language???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Not at all, I went to a wedding where the bride and groom did exactly this and I thought it was beautiful. They did put the translation in the program though which was a nice way to include the guests (like me) that did not understand the vows themselves.
    Posted by Sloane99[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think that is a beautiful idea. and although the idea of putting an english translation in the program is a good idea. i like the idea of the Japanese part of the vows being a secret just between the two of you.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    That is so cool, makes them all that much more "yours".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards