New York

Super vent... totally NWR (and super long and rambling, sorry)

So.... I hate Crouse.  I mean absolutely positively hate with a passion.

I have been going to school there for the last 2+ years.  Getting in to the program was difficult enough.... but now 2 months from graduation, I am ready to tell them where to stick their stupid degree.

All of this came about over my CPR certification.  My original certification expires on 8/31/11.  I recertified on 8/11/11 and turned in my letter from the instructor to the school.  They give you a letter statinig that you have passed the course and you are certified effective 8/11/11 and my new card is on the way.  No problem.  Oh- and did I mention that my original card doesn't expire until 8/31/11 anyway?  Yeah.

I went Monday to pick up my ID from Upstate (this semester's rotation is at Community General, now owned by Upstate and began Wednesday).  After an hour run around I make my way to the health office, they tell me I am not cleared.  WTF does that mean?  How do I get cleared.  "Your school has to send us something".  Something what?  "A list with the students names who are cleared"  Fine.

Ring ring.  Hello (in my head #$*^%&*) school.  My clinical starts Wednesday and Upstate is telling me I am not cleared.  "We do not have your CPR card".  I turned in my letter 2 weeks ago.  "But we need your card"  Since when?  And when were you going to tell me this?  I start clinical in 2 days.

Thank God my card came in the mail and I faxed it right over on Tuesday.  There.  I am "cleared" now please send Upstate my information.  "Well that takes time".  I don't have time, I start clinical tomorrow.  Can I pick it up and hand deliver it to Upstate?  "No".  WTF.  Why are you being difficult?  "You should check with Upstate tomorrow".  Fine, but did I mention that I start clinical tomorrow.  Moron.

FFW to Wednesday.  I call Upstate.  Is my ID card able to be processed today?  "Yes, come on over".  I get there and after another hour run around, find myself at the health office.  again.  I am not "cleared". again.  Now I am pissed and ready to lose it.  Hello people, I start clinical in 3 hours and if I don't have an ID, I can't go.  If I miss more than 1 clinical, I am kicked out of the program.  I call the school.  They don't give a rat's @ss about my ID card and try to turn this on me with some bs lecture about turning in my card late.  Did you miss the part about turning in my letter 2 weeks early?  a-hole.  "Well... there are 2 other people at Upstate who have to approve your clearance, then it goes to the health office"  I ask for the names of the people at Upstate who need to approve my clearance.  In lieu of a response to my email....

At 130 I receive a phone call from the director of the nursing school telling me that I cannot attend clinical. 
1.  Why are you even involved in this whole mess?   Oh yes... most likely because one of your incompetant staff members probably whined to you about how I am being mean.
2.  It is 130... which means I still have about 2 hours to fix your mess.  Instead of telling me "no" right now... how about you just give me the names of these 2 mystery people at Upstate and I will contact them myself.

I replied to her voicemail with a less than friendly email (I want a paper trail on this nonsense).  Probably not in my best interest, but at this point... I don't really care.   I told her that I felt this situation was being handled inappropriately and I was planning to seek legal advice.

I was not able to attend clinical last night and was so out of my mind pissed off, I contacted a lawyer.  I am done with their bs.  If I do not have my ID card to-DAY and I am not able to attend clinical tonight... and as a result I am removed from the program without my degree, all hell will break loose.  I have worked my butt off to get to this point... and to have them wreck it.  I don't think so.

So... I wrote up a formal grievance and am debating whether or not to send it today.   I am also waiting on a call back from the lawyer to see what, if anything, can be done.

And to think that Monday, I was certain that this was going to be a super awesome week.  I just want to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
Online Garage Sale
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
monica & kevin married 5.28.11
bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Super vent... totally NWR (and super long and rambling, sorry)

• edited December 2011
    Aww this is awful.  I hope it all gets worked out. Hang in there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I just got off the phone with the Health Office at Upstate and they said I am still.not.cleared. I am borederline rampage. The lady form the health office told me that not only have the not received anything from Crouse regarding my clearance... there are no "2 other people" who have to approve it. It goes directly from Crouse to the health office. Are you kidding me? I am absolutely positive that they doing this deliberately.
    Online Garage Sale
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh no.  This sounds terrible.  I would be on a rampage too. 

I hope it's able to be worked out soon.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Best of luck :-(  I'm sure it will get all worked out soon! Positive thoughts :-)
    image 131 invited image 120 are ready to party! image 11 will miss the festivities! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hang in there Monica! Great idea with the paper trail, hopefully it all works out and you can start clinical. Good luck!!
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Is this program through SU, and if so what college/department/who can you go to outside of the hospital community? Write an e-mail to ALL parties: head of whoever at SU (if applicable), head of your nursing program, your clinical instructors, head of Crouse Hospital (no joke--the president if you can find their email) as well as Upstate.... put everyone on notice. All at the same time. If this is also an SU thing, put Tom Wolfe, the director/head/dean/whatever of Graduate Studies, and Nancy freaking Cantor.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Lorna!

Unfortunately, they do not fall under SU.  I dealt with the highest person at the school yesterday... and, hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I feel like she is just part of the whole "make my life hell" gang.

I am giving them until noon to get their chit straight, then I will email the director of the hospital, who the school falls under.  I also have a statement prepared for the board of education.

My only worry is that this will impact me negatively over the next 2 months.  Unfortunately... the program is not black and white.  It's not like I can take my tests and show them that I have passed.  I have to pass clinical also, which is completely subjective... your instructor can fail you without any solid proof of incompetance.  It's ridiculous.
    Online Garage Sale
  • edited December 2011
    Holy crap Monica! Im praying for ya that everything works itself out. I would most certainly be in rampage mode too if they were threatening the status of my degree!

Keep us updated. T&P

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • ski2playski2play member
    edited December 2011
    OH Monica, this totally stinks.  Good thoughts coming your way today!
  • edited December 2011
    That's complete BS especially because your certification hasn't even expired yet!  I hope everything gets straightened out asap!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    No thanks to the idiots at my school (well, thanks to one awesome instructor who busted her butt to help me out), I got my ID card for Upstate.  effff them!!!  Tongue out
    Online Garage Sale
  • sbolger17sbolger17 member
    edited December 2011
    Good!!!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Yaaay! I was about to text you to find out what happened. Im glad everything worked out.

*Middle Finger* to the school!

People are inherently stupid. Weddings make it painfully obvious -- KevinandMonica
  • Happily9Happily9 member
    edited December 2011
    Well thanks to another work meeting I missed whole conversation :(  Hope you made it to school ok and just keep reminding yourself 2 more months!!
  • edited December 2011
    Just hopped on here, and glad to find out that you got your card in the end.. although I'd still be giving the program the side eye, wondering what the heck was their problem over this whole situation!
    Hope things go smoother for the rest of your program!!
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!!!  I did get my ID and made it to/through clinical just fine.  The instructor actually agreed that the whole odreal was complete and utter BS. 

I did speak with a lawyer (at this point, mostly in case I have any retaliation) and file a formal grievance with the school... have yet to receive a reply from the school on the grievance.  I am giving them until Monday, then filing a grievance with the hospital who oversees the school.  They picked the wrong person to mess with.  Tongue out
    Online Garage Sale
  • ski2playski2play member
    edited December 2011
    Glad Monica....total BS....Keep smiling girl, it makes them wonder!
  • MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been MIA this week so I missed this but I'm glad everything eventually worked out. I would have done the same thing as you and I would have been sooo pissseddd! Nobody messes with my degree either so I totally get that. Too much hard work to get taken away..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards