Chit Chat

How Much dessert - Dessert Bar

I'm posting this here hoping it will get more feedback than the Cake section. Iknow a few of you ladies have done the dessert bar so I'm looking for some advice on how much is enough vs. too much.

We are doing a dessert buffet in place of a sit down plated dessert. It will be available for the remainder of the evening. Approximately 9:30-1am. We are having Our Wedding Cupcakes, Assorted Pies, Strawberry trifle and other family made treats that we are bringing in. In Hopes not to waste, we are providing take home boxes for people to fill up with some goodies to take home as our favours.

We are now in the cake ordering process and I have NO idea how many cupcakes we will need. I'm thinking mini cupcakes becuase they are bitesize and easy to put in a box to take home. But how many do I need?

Also, I asked my mom, in addition to the pies supplied by the venue, to make pecan pies. She nearly died thinking about how many pies she'd have to make. I calmed her down and saying maybe 4 or 5, but doing the math, that would only be 32-40 pieces. Is that enough when you include the other pies?

I feel like I'm stuck. I don't want left overs and a lot of waste, but at the same time... I want to make sure if I'm telling people "please take some treats to go" there will be enough treats to take.

So... My question.

How many mini cupcakes and How many pies total do you think would be enough for dessert AND take home favours for 140 guests?
~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How Much dessert - Dessert Bar

• We had something similar. Like Stage said it's better to have too much than to little. We provided take out boxes to our guests so they could take some home.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Whatever you provide you should have enough for each of your guests to sample the options.  So that means you should have enough pie for each guest to have a slice and enough cupcakes for each guest to get one.

More is always better where food is concerned, especially seeing how you will have the desserts available for 3.5 hours.

• Also keep in mind that since people will be there until 1 am, presumable drinking (?), unless you are serving food again, this may be their go-to midnight snack. Between the dancing, the drinking, and the sheer length of time your guests are there, they are going to get hungry! So I would recommend either doing late night snacks, or making lots of desserts. At my wedding, we only had a small cake, but we served pizza at 10 pm. It was gone within 10 minutes. At my friends' wedding, they did a dessert and coffee bar to help people stay happy and full and also to keep them awake (and away from the bar as the night went on). Just keep in mind, more is better, so if your mom is iffy about making lots of pie, maybe get some from somewhere else. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Here is a link for a cake place that offers "wedding cake packages" combined with dessert bar
    http://signaturedesserts.com/wedding-packages.php

The numbers they have listed may be useful for you to start with and then add for take home.
  • I'd do regular size cupcakes.  If you do that you only need one per person.  Also you shouldn't ask your mom to make pies.  It's okay if she offers but you shouldn't be asking.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_how-much-dessert-dessert-bar?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:23150fff-d2d0-4417-8796-d81798d5e7bcPost:3dadad91-6cab-476d-9af0-ade2647b815a">Re: How Much dessert - Dessert Bar</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here is a link for a cake place that offers "wedding cake packages" combined with dessert bar <a href="http://signaturedesserts.com/wedding-packages.php" rel="nofollow">http://signaturedesserts.com/wedding-packages.php</a> The numbers they have listed may be useful for you to start with and then add for take home.
    Posted by csuave[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Oh wow! Thanks a great link! Thanks!</div>
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards