Getting in Shape

Dress Alterations

Sorry if this is posted in the first couple pages I'm about to run to work and didn't have time to do more than skim the first page.  For those of you who lost, say, 30+ lbs. how did this affect the cost, timeline, and quality of your dress alterations?  I want to lose weight before my wedding but I don't want to rely on it and get my dress too small.  I would like to lose between 30 and 40 lbs. but I'm not sure if that's going to really work, I've never really tried before.

Re: Dress Alterations

• raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    As always, we suggest both buying a dress that fits you now (or, if you're inbetween sizes,maybe the smaller) and talking to your seamstress.

A lot depnds on the style of the dress, but most dresses can easily be taken in at least 2 sizes.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As I'm learning myself, it depends on how far you have to go until your wedding.

If I knew what I know now..

Here is my hindsight is 20/20.

1. Go look at dresses now. Find the ones you like. Find the brand (some salons cut the labels out). Find out their ship times. Find out if they have a rush order (and decide if you are willing to pay the fee). Some brands have a rush ship where they can ship certain dresses within 6 weeks, although from personal experience I advise not pushing it that far.

2. Let's say you are getting married in a year. You love Maggie Sottero, and her dresses ship in 4 months (but double check. I'm not 100% sure). Lose as much weight as you can between now and then go buy your dress about shiptime+six weeks for alterations ( look at what's considered rush alterations and what's normal and decide if you want to pay for that). Buy the smallest size your measurements fit into.

3. Also, consider a corset back. They usually have a 2-3 inch give. Maggie has lots of those.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards