Catholic Weddings

SOL and their fashion rosaries

So, I went into the teeny bopper store, SOL today and noticed an ENTIRE wall of rosaries.  They had a rosary in every color of the rainbow with giant fashion beads to match whatever color you were wearing.  Then after the five beads, they had these pictures of Mary with a bright shiny rainbow behind her.  Some of them had other random doodles and crap on them and they were all in outrageous neon colors. They also had gigantic gold crucifixes hanging down from the bottom.  I found it incredibly offensive that all of these people are now wearing rosaries as some sort of fashion statement.  I'm pretty sure the type of people that buy these rosaries are probably not religious at all and most certainly they are probably not Catholic or maybe even not Christian.  They'll probably pick whichever one matches their hoochie outfit best and then go out to a club with their boobs hanging out and "dancehump" some stranger while wearing their rosary.  Who decided that this was an appropriate fashion symbol and how did it even gain popularity?  It ticks me off.  

Re: SOL and their fashion rosaries

• bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wearing a rosary as a fashion necklace isn't new. There is no way you're going to convince a person who does that that it is offensive. If they cared, they already wouldn't be wearing the rosary.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    we can all thank Madonna (the singer, not the mother of our lord) for this fashion fad. 
  • woodiewoodie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So Sad! 
  • edited December 2011
    That has been a huge trend here in San Diego since I can remember and it has always offended me. It's a religious symbol, not a fashion statement.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker " Love for thy love and hand for hand I give" William Shakespeare
    110 Invitedimage 24 Ready to Partyimage 0 Missing Outimage 86 Making Us Waitimage
    RSVP Deadline: 10.06.10
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree.  No respect for our Mother.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_sol-their-fashion-rosaries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:8ad10e27-d640-4765-9be2-b5793d6ba47ePost:3fdbcb5e-4f6f-4a29-8cf2-6847ffd10c2c">Re: SOL and their fashion rosaries</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree.  No respect for our Mother.
    Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

I agree totally

I also find the obvious statements personal religion in public objectionable. I see every second young guy walking  around the city with a gold chain & crucifix hanging out of the 14 inch V in his unbuttoned shirt..

Showing the gold or the faith?  I'm afraid that 50% of the time, it's the latter.

Religion is your relationship with God, not a fashion statement!
  • Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow--that is just horrible
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with clearheavens and ootmother2. I see people walking around all the time with them on. I just tell myself it is a respect and/or ignorance thing that they don't know our faith and what the real purpose of a rosary is.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i also personally dont likem the hanging from a rearview mirror either, although i've seen this being done by some very devout people who i know say the rosary.  i'm guessing its for safety (i know whenever i fly on an airplane, my rosaries are always with me, and my husband always carries his in his uniform pocket). 
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, they aren't supposed to be hanging from the rear view mirrors of cars, but even when we go to church, I see them in the cars in the parking lot. I always carry my rosarywith me in my purse as well. Husband always wears his St. Michael medal whenever he is not at work bc he can't have any jewerly on at work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards