Snarky Brides

Christmas lights, no outdoor outlets

Since a lot of you seem to be all excited about decorating for Christmas, I pose a problem. FI and I are living in the top half of a duplex with a great upper porch, and I'd really love to hang Christmas lights around the railing, but I just went outside to check and there's no way for me to get power out there to light them - no porch light, no outlet, nothing. Are there ways I can have outdoor lights without outlets? Battery powered? Solar? A generator of some sort? Have you ever encountered something that worked?
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: Christmas lights, no outdoor outlets

• They are more expensive, but there are battery operates lights available like these:

http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/battery-operated-led-christmas-lights.htm

Check out Lowes or someplace similar.  I know Lowes has battery operated wreaths.  I'm sure you can find something there.
  • Yeah, I would say battery powered would be your best bet.  Now I'm going to go check if I have outlets...
  • Saw these, got great reviews, they are solar powered - http://www.amazon.com/Powered-Christmas-Lights-String-100LED/dp/B0030B16JA

Hope that helps!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
  • sucrets4sucrets4 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Do you have a regular light outside?

If so, I have a brilliant solution.

ETA:  I reread and saw that you don't.  Well, boo.  I was super excited to share my kickass super awesome solution.

ETAA:  Well, eff it, I'll share anyway.  If you have a regular porch light and want to control it from that light switch, you can buy an adaptor in Home Depot that is an outlet that screws into the lightbulb thingy.  Voila!  Control from the inside.  :-)  I don't know what it's called, but look by all the electrical stuff and look for the picture of it.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Can't you just crack a window and have the extension cord run out of it?
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We dont have outdoor outlets either but our bedroom has a window that faces the front of the house and a window on the side. We run our extension cord through our side bedroom window and shut it as much as we can. Then we put strips of foam to seal the small crack that is there. Of course this is in our bedroom and not a room anyone sees, therefore we dont mind the extension cord. 

It is true that pit bulls grab and hold on. But what they most
    often grab and refuse to let go of is your heart

imageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_christmas-lights-outdoor-outlets?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:3c9099ba-6281-4bc9-9071-c5b55690b3f0Post:8510ca95-b450-4315-8d62-428ee6c8e051">Re: Christmas lights, no outdoor outlets</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can't you just crack a window and have the extension cord run out of it?
    Posted by amber2123[/QUOTE]

Not in WI!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Sorry, San Diegin talking here
    The last flower to bloom is often the most beautiful Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards