Registry and Gift Forum

Macy's Star Rewards Scam

So, we signed-up for Macy's Star Rewards in March 2011.  I could have sworn that when we applied for the card online and then attached it to our registry there was a $100 incentive (in addition to the normal 5% and 10% rewards).  But now Macy's doesn't want to pay up.  Do any of you recall this incentive program?  Did I just imagine/invent it in the crazy fog of wedding planning?

In addition their totals for the rewards are all out of wack, in particular they mised about half of our "couple purchases"  thank goodness I have the emails as proof. They also counted items that were simply exchanged for the same exact item because of breakage as returns.

I'm feeling pretty scammed and frusturated with the whole thing.

Re: Macy's Star Rewards Scam

• Yeah I remember it, but I also remember thinking it sounded complicated and I didn't want another store credit card, so we just completely opted out of the program.  In every other way, we were happy with our Macy's registry.
  • My sister was totally scammed by Macy's as well. This wasn't for her wedding, she just signed up for the credit card to get a discount on a large purchase. They didn't tell her she would actually eventually have to pay the full price of the item, and that the 30% off they gave her as an incentive for signing up for the card was only a discount up front (kinda like making you pay a credit card installment).

I avoid all store credit cards like the plague.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I did the Macy's Star thing.  I do recall getting a % back on things that other people purchased, but I don't remember anything about any other reward on top of that.  
  • VioletRose519VioletRose519 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had an amazing experience with Macys. I never heard of the $100 incentive though. I did have to contact the registry department a couple times to see when our rewards card would be sent. We received it about six weeks after our wedding. We got an excess of $300 in a gift card and they gave up 20% off of everything at checkout. If you have any questions call them you will get what is intitled to you!

Also, we also ordered special item to recieve extras (ex. buy one place setting get one free, or buy a china setting and get a soup bowl free) and the extra was always sent on time and arrived with the other items on the order,
    Anniversary
  • I know of the %, but do no remember $100
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 300 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing out!
    image 300 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Sigh.  There isn't a $100 incentive.  If you actually read the instructions there's an ad that says something like, "sign up and get $100"  Then if you read below it says "based on average rewards earned."  You do NOT get a random $100 for signing up.  Think about how expensive that would be for them.  They advertise it because most couples get about $100 from the 5%/10% back rewards program.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I dont remember the 100 dollar incentive... will def look into it as well
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_macys-star-rewards-scam?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:20018e67-b1ce-4e5d-9214-91ff0a0c1523Post:cd930033-c9d2-42a1-b80b-fe4d0758c15d">Re: Macy's Star Rewards Scam</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sigh.  There isn't a $100 incentive.  If you actually read the instructions there's an ad that says something like, "sign up and get $100"  Then if you read below it says "based on average rewards earned."  You do NOT get a random $100 for signing up.  Think about how expensive that would be for them.  They advertise it because most couples get about $100 from the 5%/10% back rewards program.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

This sounds right.  I've never seen a $100 just for signing up.  We did it too (already had a Macy's card) and we got a pretty nice GC a few months after the wedding.  It is not a scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards