Military Brides

wording for inserts

Hi ladies,

So we are adding inserts into our invitations requesting service members to wear their dress uniforms with ribbons.  These are only being given to our guests in the military and will not be in all of the invitatios. 

I was just wondering what the best way to word this would be. 

I was thinking along the lines of:

We request our military service members attend in dess attire with ribbons...something along the lines of honouring all of our service members and the importance they all play in our lives.  FI is active duty Navy and will be getting married in a tux but changing into his dress blues for the cake cutting and the remainder of the night.  I just wanted some input on how to word this and obviously be respectful and let them know how much this means to us and it would be an honor to have them represent the US military. 

Thanks in advance.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: wording for inserts

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We also requested our military members wear their dress whites.  Since H is in the Navy all but 1 of the military invites were to Navy guys.  We did a DIY invite kit, and at the bottom of 10 of them we wrote "Service dress whites are invited."

That was all that was needed.  I could be wrong, but I feel that writing and ribbons is redundant.  My one friend that is in the Army I told him by word of mouth we would love for him to wear his uniform because I didn't know what to call his dress uniform. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Dress uniforms always include the ribbons that you have earned.  They are part of the uniform.  You don't have to put that part in. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LuluP82LuluP82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And you can't "request" as in demand, which is what your wording came across to me. dnbeach had a much better suggestion-- invite. I mean, you're not actually going to stop them at the door if they don't wear their uniforms, right :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    Also, some people actually hate wearing their dress uniforms.  H and I are in that category.  We are honored to have earned them, but they are seriously uncomfortable.  If I felt like I had to wear my uniform to a friend's wedding, I would consider not going.  I think a better way to honor those serving or who have served would be to ask them to stand at the reception while you offer them a toast. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your screen name is your full name, please seriously consider changing it. You never know what kind of creeps lurk these forums and what they could or would do with your personal information. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I like the way dnbeach worded it.  Keep in mind that some people might find it odd (and maybe even rude) that you requested they wear their uniforms and then get to your wedding and see the groom in a tux.  I know if we got an invite to a sevice member's wedding and it requested that FI wear his dress uniform I would expect the service member who was getting married to be in uniform the entire time too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I like "invite."  FI is asking this, I am not.  I honestly could care less and I agree, why wouldnt you want to just wear your own clothes?  But, FI wants them to wear their dress uniforms.   The ribbon request also came from FI.  He does not want medals that is why he wanted to say ribbons. We only have one female service member attending and I told her to wear whatever she wanted.   She didn't want to wear her uniform as she says she looks like a flight attendant!  :)  thanks for the criticism, however I am just asking for advice on wording. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I just asked H to clarify this.  He is also Navy. 

He said by writing "Service dress whites are invited" tells them ribbons.  If you write "Full dress whites are invited" would tell them to wear their medals.  There is also "Dinner dress whites are invited," but he said thats a dress jacket that most people don't have, and thats with mini medals. 

So as for what you said your FI is looking for, simply writing "Service dress whites are invited" has you covered!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That is awesome!! I really like how that sounds!! Thanks so much!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Just a question/comment about the "dress whites" statment.  My FI is Navy too and he and the BM are wearing dress blues. I was under the impression that whites vs blues was dictated by the time of year and see the OP has a winter wedding planned so wouldn't they be requesting dress blues?  Really just curious and FI is currently away so I can't ask him.

When he was deciding on what to wear to the wedding he checked out the dinner dress uniform.  It is really expensive and not required so that's why not many guys own it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Yes mysticl you are right.  I wasn't even paying attention to the OP's weddng date.  So yes OP your guests will be wearing their dress blues.  Our wedding was July so our guests wore whites and thats what was on our invites.  H is sleeping right now so I can't ask him.  I would assume that it would just be "Service dress blues are invited."  I will ask him when he wakes up though and re-post to be sure. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    I just checked with H.  Service dress blues are invited.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married in February.  Whites are out during that time of year!  I just really like the wording that was used and I didn't feel the need to correct it.  :)  Thanks for the clarification though!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dgeo6748dgeo6748 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about encouraged or welcomed instead of invited?  Do you really invite attire?
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wording-inserts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:84f0242e-be6d-469a-8e39-55aae20689b7Post:3d8a8b9d-dca7-4840-80eb-b2852739367d">Re: wording for inserts</a>:
    [QUOTE]What about encouraged or welcomed instead of invited?  Do you really invite attire?
    Posted by dgeo6748[/QUOTE]

That's the proper etiquette on how to word it.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    I would not add the wording about ribbons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the MC, the wear of medals vs. ribbons is based on the formality of the event, and based on the always important uniformity. I understand if YH wants to be the one in medals, but uniformity in uniform (lol), supersedes that, even at a private wedding.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wording-inserts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:84f0242e-be6d-469a-8e39-55aae20689b7Post:67766665-a0ba-41ca-a09e-30d641bad6e3">Re: wording for inserts</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would not add the wording about ribbons. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the MC, the wear of medals vs. ribbons is based on the formality of the event, and based on the always important uniformity. I understand if YH wants to be the one in medals, but uniformity in uniform (lol), supersedes that, even at a private wedding.
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

Its redundant to ask for them anyways.  Service dress uniforms in the Navy are with the ribbons.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wording-inserts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:84f0242e-be6d-469a-8e39-55aae20689b7Post:c57305e3-9455-4372-90f3-9c4662869404">Re: wording for inserts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wording for inserts : Its redundant to ask for them anyways.  Service dress uniforms in the Navy are with the ribbons.  
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

<div>Gotcha. In the MC, Dress Blue Alphas are the uniform with medals, and Dress Blue Bravos are the exact same uniform with ribbons and marksmanship badges. Dress Blue Charlies and Deltas are another blouse with ribbons. In general, I think Dress Blues invited would mean DB Alphas, at least to me. I have seen weddings where the marrying Marine wanted to be fancy, so he wore alphas and the groomsmen wore bravos. I love and care about uniformity, so I'm always horrified by such things. </div><div>
    </div><div>Someday, we will again have a bride on here whose Marine FI wants to wear the white trousers when he's not supposed to. Then you will all be treated to the Stan lunacy about uniformity. ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I know it's totally different for each branch, and luckily when this first came up H was still here so I had to ask him what they all meant.  This was from one of my  earlier posts on here:

He said by writing "Service dress whites are invited" tells them ribbons.  If you write "Full dress whites are invited" would tell them to wear their medals.  There is also "Dinner dress whites are invited," but he said thats a dress jacket that most people don't have, and thats with mini medals. 

I agree that uniformity is more important. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_wording-inserts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:84f0242e-be6d-469a-8e39-55aae20689b7Post:ff7ceeb9-10ff-4a14-bec3-a4db39f1a7d9">Re: wording for inserts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah I know it's totally different for each branch, and luckily when this first came up H was still here so I had to ask him what they all meant.  This was from one of my  earlier posts on here: He said by writing "Service dress whites are invited" tells them ribbons.  If you write "Full dress whites are invited" would tell them to wear their medals.  There is also "Dinner dress whites are invited," but he said thats a dress jacket that most people don't have, and thats with mini medals.  I agree that uniformity is more important. 
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

<div>That's really interesting! I wonder if there's similar etiquette wording for MC uniforms. I'll have to ask SO. I have a book on being an MC O that has a chapter on leaving calling cards when you call on your CO (this book was updated in 2008 and still says that), but not this kind of etiquette. Not that it matters to the OP, but I'm always interested in knowing more regs. </div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards