January 2013 Weddings

Grrrr

So FI got a voicemail last night from one of his brothers. They won't be able to attend because they "forgot" that one of the family members was having surgery last week for an on-going problem. This is a family of 4 and the one having surgery is FI's cousin and is over 20. The cousin told us last week that he was having surgery and that he would probably still be at the wedding but even if he wasn't the rest of the family would still be going.

Come to find out that they won't be attending. After I have confirmed all food and everything and paid for it. (These are also the biggest eaters so we had a bunch of extra food for them.) And the reason the family has to sit and stare at him? Because they won't let him be accountable for his own care. The mom checks his wound, checks what meds the nurses give to him, and overall makes it so he never has to say anything.

Sigh. We're out at least $1000 that we can't get back. Not to mention all of the DIY stuff I did for each table. If we would have known that half of the people we invited wouldn't come (all family by the way) we would have just had a JOP courthouse affair and taken all the money we saved and went to Australia.

Guest count as of today? 27. We rented a ballroom for 27 people. And a DJ. Really?

ETA: I don't mean to sound callous to the fact that he had surgery. But this is a problem that he has been fighting for 2 years. And I work in the medical field. You can't tell me that he had surgery Jan 2nd and it wasn't planned well before Christmas.

Re: Grrrr

• I'm sorry that happened to you :(

It is frustrating when people don't RSVP, but worse when they change their RSVP. I know of at least 8 people who RSVP'd that they'd come and then didn't and then at least 6 other people who came for the wedding and left before the reception.

I hope everything turns out okay.
  • ARGH!!! What a pain in the ass! I'm sorry you have to go through that. On the bright side, you will have extra food for you and your 27 guests. Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • staar987staar987 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    I will have enough extra food for everyone to have 3rds and 4ths. Fantastic. Florist just said he can't help that we now have an extra centerpiece. Perfect. WTF am I supposed to do with an extra one of these? Anyone want to come? LOL!

• Awwww girl, I am so sorry.  : (  That is really not fun.  I just found out one of my cousins needs a surgery this or next week and now he and his parents cant make it either, but thats only 3 people and one wasn't even accounted for yet (my uncle)..so thats nothing as crazy as your situaiton.  I am SO sorry.  Stinks.
    Especially all of that money!!!!!!  UGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! 
    Where is your wedding?  Cali or Fla?  I will be in Fla AFTER my wedding, but thats after yours. 
    It's all gonna work out and be OK...your centerpieces are beautiful by the way!!  GREAT JOB!
    How many people altogether can't make it?  $1,000 is alot!  : /
    Deep breaths...it's gonna be gorgeous and you will be happy.
    God is Faithful!
  • We're in Cali. Fla is amazing. If you haven't been, you'll love it there!

It was 4 people that changed their minds. Between all of the stuff I bought (tablecloths, napkins, chair rental, table rental, centerpieces, candy, favors, cake, etc) it all adds up.

Oh well there will be a well fed group of people! I love my centerpieces! I"m happy with them. I just honestly have no idea what to do with the extra now.

• That's awful that you had to go through that.  People really do stink sometimes!  I don't think some people really understand everything we go through to plan a wedding!  I'm sure your day will be fabulous, extra food and flowers and all :) Besides, better too much/many than not enough!! 
  • I have been to Florida!!  Seaworld is one of my FAV places on Earth!  : )  Def going there..
    God is Faithful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards