Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Cocktail Hour

Is everyone having an official cocktail hour?  I don't know if we are having one because I believe my FI and I are doing pictures before the ceremony, and we are not having an open bar.  We are buying beer and wine for the guests though.  So should we have our guests just mingle and drink the beer/wine or just skip the cocktail hour? 

Re: Cocktail Hour

• Options
    The point of cocktail hour is to host your guests while the wedding party is taking pictures.

If there won't be any pictures after your ceremony, then move right along to the reception.
  • Options
    K cool, thanks
  • Options
    Yes we did. 

I view the cocktail hour is (1) something to do when you are taking pictures and (2) it's a good way to for all the guests to gather and mingle before starting other things like first dances, toasts, dinner, etc.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I would do a cocktail hour. What are your guests supposed to do while you're taking pictures?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_cocktail-hour-9?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:e00771b9-699f-4bfd-b573-c76565f5bd11Post:2a314fe2-b7f6-456d-8f15-d60e49c250fb">Re: Cocktail Hour</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would do a cocktail hour. What are your guests supposed to do while you're taking pictures?
    Posted by mary9449[/QUOTE]

I think we are doing our pictures before-hand.
  • Options
    If you do your pictures beforehand, no need for a cocktail hour. IF you're doing them after the ceremony, you definitely need something to keep your guests occupied. Hence, the idea of a cocktail hour.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards