Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Catholic ceremony music issues!

My fianc and I are both Catholic and getting married in a Catholic church in Michigan, although not the full mass. Has anyone had any issues with being able to use an instrumental song while processing into the mass? I wanted to do Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring for my bridal party and Seasons when I walked in. However, our priest is extremely insistent that we must do a sung hymn while processing in. We aren't allowed and instrumental and do a gathering hymn all together when we are in our respective places.
Has anyone else run into this problem with a Catholic wedding?!?!

Re: Catholic ceremony music issues!

• Options
    Typically, the only hurdle is that the music be liturgically approved.  Quite honestly, I am trying to think of an instance when the processional was NOT instrumental.

Can you speak with the music ministry directly and ask what songs they recommend, and perhaps get some clarity as to the rationale behind your priests perspective?  Perhaps there is some misunderstanding.  In our situation, our priest has never really been directly involved in the selection of songs or readings.
  • Options
    This sounds like a really old school priest. Back in the day, instrumental music was considered secular, and therefore not sacred and not appropriate for church. Vocal music was seen as elevating the spoken word and therefore bringing the congregation closer to God. But this goes back to the earliest church music in the Middle Ages, and certainly isn't a currently held view since Vatican II. If your priest is hardcore, you may be stuck, but I agree with the suggestion to talk to the music director first and see if there is anything he or she can suggest.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    Also, for what it's worth, there are some beautiful hymns that would make great processionals. Love Divine All Loves Excelling comes to mind. I know it's not what you want, but if your priest won't budge, your options are find hymns that work for you, or change churches. Good luck!

• Options
    Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring was composed by J.S. Bach. He wrote all of his music to the glory of God. In my mind, that makes all of his music sacred. Also, that piece is based on a hymn. Don't know if that helps or not. I use that piece all the time as a processional at weddings. I agree that you should talk to the church musician and see what their suggestions are.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_catholic-ceremony-music-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:d6ea00b9-97d5-4b47-82fd-03bc369d22eePost:954334b9-938f-4550-bf29-be715e923f9c">Re: Catholic ceremony music issues!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring was composed by J.S. Bach. He wrote all of his music to the glory of God. In my mind, that makes all of his music sacred. Also, that piece is based on a hymn. Don't know if that helps or not. I use that piece all the time as a processional at weddings. I agree that you should talk to the church musician and see what their suggestions are.
    Posted by sheryl16[/QUOTE]

A) OP mentioned wanting Jesu Joy. Priest said no.
    B) An old school Catholic priest probably isn't going to care for whom a Lutheran composer wrote music.
    C) Whether something is sacred in your opinion is not relevant to this particular issue.
    D) Vendors are not allowed to post on these boards.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Hi there!

He may also be insistent on a sung hymn in order to have you work with (and compensate) the church's vocalist. If there's a way to kind of tactfully ask him if that's the case, oftentimes the church or priest will let you pay the vocalist for NOT using their services in order to go totally instrumental or bring your own vocalist in.

Catholic Churches are notoriously a drag when it comes to music and reading selections - I'm coming up against the same thing. Good luck!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_first-dance_catholic-ceremony-music-issues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:29Discussion:d6ea00b9-97d5-4b47-82fd-03bc369d22eePost:8c04e45e-ffbb-45be-86e4-d2f55cdf7a24">Re: Catholic ceremony music issues!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there! He may also be insistent on a sung hymn in order to have you work with (and compensate) the church's vocalist. If there's a way to kind of tactfully ask him if that's the case, oftentimes the church or priest will let you pay the vocalist for NOT using their services in order to go totally instrumental or bring your own vocalist in. <strong>Catholic Churches are notoriously a drag when it comes to music and reading selections - I'm coming up against the same thing. </strong>Good luck!
    Posted by MeghanPoch[/QUOTE]

No offense, but I find this comment insulting.  If Catholic guidelines are going to get in the way of your Pretty Princess Day, then perhaps you should get married somewhere other than a Catholic church. 

• Options
    Sorry you feel that way. I simply meant that they have an incredibly stringent set of rules based on the traditions of the Church. I'm getting married in a Catholic Church myself and value that tradition, but also appreciate priests who have a bit of flexibility.

You're the moderator - feel free to delete my comment if you don't like it.
  • Options
    I'm getting married in a Catholic church and am using instrumental music as I process in.  Unfortunately, a lot of these "rules" have to do with the priest.  The priest that was at my church previously wouldn't let people take pictures.  Maybe just talk with him about it more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards