Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Grooms Cake

I want to get a groom's cake as a surprise for my FI.  It's going to be in the shape of a drum set.  My baker would charge about $300 for a cake to serve 35 people.  Do you think thats too much to spend on a cake?  For those doing a GC, what are you doing and about how much would you plan to spend?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Grooms Cake

• ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For me that is way out of budget. My friend is making two small grooms cakes one in chocolate and one in vanilla. The cost to me was the top of the cake design pan (a 1970s wilton thing I got on ebay) and small objects to be placed on it. Should cost under $25 for both cakes said and done. She is also doing our favor cookies, cupcakes for reception, and cupcakes for bridal shower
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree it depends what kind of room you have in your budget. Would I personally spend that much? No. That's about half the price of my wedding cake that will feed 125 people, so a cake that only serves 35 people for that much, seems like it's a little much. If you love the design and have the money, go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    My baker is charging me 1.50 per serving for both my cakes, extra if we go over the top with fondant and i'm also doing mine into a "shape" albeit a simpler shape, my FI is really into body building so i'm getting his chocolate bavarian cake in the shape of a 45lb plate (like used for bench pressing and such).

It really depends on your area, how much are you paying for your brides cake per serving?

I'm assuming that you're being charged a ton for the modling etc. but yes, that seems really out of budget.
  • rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    honestly for me it is. But remember you are paying for all the structual support materials and all the labour time it will take to build and assemble the cake. I am a penny pincher and would never be able to justify (to myself) spending near $10/serving.

I am a cake baker and decorater so I will be doing a grooms cake in whatever design he chooses.

Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • BrideBling82BrideBling82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could just do a sheet cake and place figurines of a full band on top (drums, guitar, keyboard and players. I mean at least he would get a drum-set. It's a cheaper version I guess. My FI didn't want a grooms cake bc he didn't think we can afford it. My wedding cake baker is making it for $100 and it's a sheetcake designed like an NBA basketball court. But if you want to get him the cake shaped like a drum-set then go ahead and get it. You can only create this moment once. GL
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would never spend that much but it's up to you what's in your budget. i'm getting a cake made in the shape of the 1981 camaro my fi is restoring and she's charging $55...it's going to be enought to feed 40 people.
  • scarlett0904scarlett0904 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Mt FH and Ia re doing a groomsckae in the shape of a fire helmet becuase he is a fireman.  I originally wanted this to be a surprise, but we have some diabetics in the family and thought it was a great way for them to have wedding cake and for FH to get his grooms cake in one shot.  I still have a surprise for him though ;)  I am not sure how much extra it will cost for the grooms cake since our wedding cake is included in the venue price.  Looking forward to it though!

• cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting a police car for the groom's cake. It serves about 40pp and she is charging us $380 because of the amount of detail that has to go into it.
  • shoshanalevishoshanalevi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you want to save some money you can have a more simple cake and buy a cake topper on etsy....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards