February 2012 Weddings

Trouble with the date!!!

Is anyone else getting married on the leap year?  If so are you getting any resistance because it is on a Wednesday? 
My family (who all live in the same town we are getting married in) are telling me that no one is going to show up on that day because people won't be able to get the day off from work.  They also feel that we are being totally selfish for picking such an inconvenient date.  We've already booked our church, reception hall, photographers and cake baker for that day and I refuse to change it.  My fiance and I have been discussing this date long before we were engaged and we think it is a really neat date and really want to be married on that day.  They are trying to tell me that teachers don't get days off and that basically no one else in the world gets vacation time to take for our wedding.  We were planning on having everything in the late afternoon and early evening anyway, which would allow for people work if they had to and then come to the reception.  It has been so hard to be happy and excited about our upcoming wedding when I have been getting absolutely no support from my family because we chose a Wednesday date! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Trouble with the date!!!

• We are also have a leap day wedding. As much as i'd love for a sat wedding, we LOVE leap day and as you said, we also have talked about it for many years.
    our time line will be something similiar to our ceremony starting around 5pm. I will not be upset if people do not come to the wedding. i'd hate for people to lose pay over my day. Our reception will start around 6, dinner served no later then 7. We have cut a few things from the typical wedding reception to save time. I view our day as simply, people coming to dinner and a little dancing. People go to dinner during the week, what difference would it be to go for a reception dinner ya know?

To save time (and simply because we dont want them) we are not doing any traditional dances. no father/daughter, mother/son, first dance... we aren't formal dance people and just not a fan. our "song" will play while we cut our cake.

We are also not having a large wedding party

You do have to consider people will have to take off if you do a 3pm ceremony, etc. However, it was important to us to accomadate those people who will be working. i don't want people to feel, (no offense) as your family is feeling. So it was important to do super low key.

Yes, it's your day.. BUT if you want your family and friends to be there you do have to take into consideration their schedules. just be considerate on the things you plan.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I can't believe you are getting so much grief for the date, who cares what day of the week it is on?  The people who said that to you obviously don't know many people.  I have a lot of friends who work weekends regularly because of their jobs (retail management, restaurant management, realtors, etc) and would prefer a weekday since weekdays ARE their weekends.

Many businesspeople travel on weekends and have weekdays off because they have days off between traveling as well.

My point is, nobody has a say in your date but you.  You are the couple whose lives are being intertwined, and if your guests aren't able to get the day off work then that's their problem.  I would be peeved if someone assumed I would cater to their schedule...unless it was FI needing a schedule change, I'm not changing my date and you shouldn't have to either.

FI and I are paying for the wedding ourselves though, you might have to compromise if the objector is paying for the wedding.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_february-2012-weddings_trouble-date?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:94076715-01be-4544-b5ad-db7fe810eb77Discussion:746d06b8-c80d-46b0-9bad-2ae4ec32bbdfPost:98f894ab-baf9-4d58-9930-0ab4bc83c78f">Trouble with the date!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is anyone else getting married on the leap year?  If so are you getting any resistance because it is on a Wednesday?
    Posted by Dinad1[/QUOTE]

We are having our wedding on a Wednesday as well and just about everybody asks us why we're having it on a Wednesday.  We've also had people who have told us how excited they are to come to our wedding until they actually look at a calendar and realize it's on a Wednesday.  At this point, I just look at it as an automatic guest list pruner even though that's not why we selected that date.
  • Send out Save the Dates in advance. I think if you let people know way ahead of time, missing one day from work shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
    I would make it an early wedding, so people won't be too tired to get to work the next day. I think if you give people enough time to prepare, and if you're aware that some people will just not be able to make it (basically just have an easy going attitude) you will be fine.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We are also a Leap Day wedding!! We haven't gotten much flack for our date (yet).  We also are having a small wedding and the running joke currently is that we will be sure to only have our nearest and dearest join us, because those who only "kinda" like us won't bother taking the time off.  :)

We love this date, especially the traditions behind it.  We are going to play a Sadie Hawkens themed song, so woman can ask the men to dance and we are hoping to push one of our lady invites to propose to her man at our wedding. 

So excited to find fellow Leapers! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jadz makes a good point, however my view on early rather then late.. is that i think after drinking/partying people would rather take the next day off work rather then the day of, which is why i opted to later then earlier. but that's just my opinion and how my friends/family are. They are more of partiers... so i think setting it to your group of people is important.

It's so exciting to see so many people with the same date!!! yay 2.29.12!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah we were thinking of the earlier times so that people will not be getting out late from the reception.  I really only have my immediate family giving me trouble over the date because I guess my one aunt complained to them and thinks that we chose this date on purpose so that she wouldn't be able to come.  Last time I checked, I wasn't that malicious.  I'm not really close with this aunt either.  I know that it will be a constant finger pointing of who is more selfish, but ultimately we feel that it is our day and that is the date we wanted.  We've already booked the big things and so far we are paying for all of it ourselves because the families haven't offered.  We both have picked up second jobs to help pay for the wedding and since we are paying for it all, we get the final say on everything.  It just hurts that my own family can't support me and are just attacking me because I'm not doing what they want.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree with PP stating that ultimately it's your day!  We're getting married on a Monday, so it's not much better.  Someone will be able to complain no matter what day you choose, so pick one that suits you.  My parents got married on leap year.  While they celebrate every year, they do a bigger celebration every 4 years.  It's a little more exciting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards