Honeymoon Discussions

Honey Moon Resort advice & Thoughts on Hurricane season

Couple of questions as we are trying to decide.
 Our honeymoon will be around September 5th - September 15th 2012 in the Riviera Maya are.  How much is the threat of hurricanes hitting this area and thoughts???
The two resorts we are looking at are Secrets Maroma Riviera and Royal Playa Del Carmen.  Any thoughts???  
Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it.

Re: Honey Moon Resort advice & Thoughts on Hurricane season

• Both those resorts are highly recommended here.
    We are going to that area too and trying to decide between Secrets and the excellence playa mujeres
  • edited March 2012
    We stayed at the Royal for our honeymoon just a few weeks ago! Here's my review:

No advice on the hurricane situation, but maybe you can talk to the resort? The concierges were incredibly helpful. Otherwise, try posting this question on another site like Trip Advisor or the Playa del Carmen travel forum, www.playa.info

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about the Royal!
    Anniversary
  • during hurricane season you have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst. they're unpredictable so just prepare accordingly.

• The best advice we read about going to the Caribbean during hurricane season is get trip insurance. That said, we also read an article that quoted someone from National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). He's one of the people who tracks hurricanes, and he said he would absolutely go to the Caribbean during hurricane season!
  • We've been to Jamaica twice during hurricane season.  (Once during that exact time frame in 2010).  We were fine both times.  Our travel agent (who is out of DC) recommended travel insurance simply so we'd be covered if we weren't "comfortable" with going.
    Then of course, I went to Mexico in June a few years ago with girlfriends and we decided that we didn't want the travel insurance-- Tropical Storm Alice hit! 
    So see, it can happen any time.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Go, have fun, and enjoy your honeymoon!
  • Thanks everyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards